Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

My latest painting for Hive Gallery's yearly Tarot Show.

Bugmeyer: Hey guy! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Month of Fear has started again, here's my first week's piece for "things that go bump". Oil and acrylic on 8"x10" masonite.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Detective Thompson posted:

Kind of a silly question, but do you use a stamp for your signature, or is that painted by hand?

I use a stamp, except for the date. I got one of those stone stamp carving kits and made my own with my initials. However, if a piece I do is very tiny I will just hand-paint it.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

DisDisDis posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on fancy brushes? I've owned two of these http://www.dickblick.com/products/raphael-kevrin-mongoose-brushes/ for about 5 years and they've served me well but recently got paint in the core of one of them and, although there isn't paint washing out of it anymore the bristles are starting to fall out. (Thought I ruined the other one too but I think it was just stained.)

My first thought was to just buy another one but since I don't really know much about quality brushes I figured I'd ask if there's something better at a similar pricepoint. I mainly use them for watercolor and gouache but I'll be using more acrylic and oils in the future.

Hog bristle is mainly used for oil painting to lay down thick layers or pigment. If you're planning on painting exclusively in gouache/watercolor I'd suggest sable or a soft synthetic or synthetic/sable blend. Personally I use either purely synthetic or a cheapish sable. Currently I'm using Royal Langnickel's Zen series, they're super cheap. I use them for oils, and though I have friends who swear by pure sable when they oil paint, I go through brushes like no one's business. I could probably benefit from washing and maintaining my brushes better, but considering I paint 6-8 hours a day, the last thing I want to do when I'm done working for the day is to spend an hour washing and conditioning my brushes :shobon:

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Here's my yearly contribution to this thread :ghost:

"Herbal Perspective" for Modern Eden Gallery in San Fran. It's oil and acrylic.