Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

eggyolk posted:

Big post coming up.

One of my old coworkers

Long story short, I used to work as a commercial sign painter. It was a cool, life destroying job, so now I'm making a painting about it.

The initial sketch

Sketch fleshed out

Transfered to wood panel and painted

Bit more progress

Beginning variegated loose leafing

Border leaf on, figure nearly done

Close up of current stage

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience painting over metal leaf. I've read that painting over imitation leaf is fine with oils except for minor adhesion issues. Most likely I'll seal the leaf before doing a second coat just to be safe. Plan is to put imitation gold over the black lettering, and genuine copper behind the figure for the setting sun. Then a sealing coat, then Mucha-esque line work. Any recommendations for safe ways to go about this?

This is fantastic!

I would say cover the metal leaf in a matte medium (or if this is huge, maybe Floetrol because it is cheap) or perhaps a lacquer first (?)

I am having a show next week. It is only my second show and I was hoping for some sage advice. Does anyone have any professional practice tips or a laundry list of things they like to do before each show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Seneschal posted:

If you are in charge of your own labels, make sure they're consistent in every way. Nothing sets my OCD off more than show labels that aren't lined up well.

Don't drink heavily. Be prepared to talk about your work without feeling awkward about it.

Anyway, I like to go to a show where nobody knows I'm the artist, and eavesdrop on conversations around my work. It sometimes requires a thick skin, but I really like hearing unfiltered opinions and I use it to advise my next paintings.

Thanks!!

Trying to decide what I should charge for prints vs. originals. This is especially hard when a lot of the work only exists as a photoshop file until printed. Also, I always wonder how much more to hike up work from show to show? If it didn't sell at the first show, does it make sense to hike up the price for the second show?

Making labels tonight. I will make sure they all match. :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone know a good way to remove woodless color pencils? Erasers don't work as well as I would like.

I want to fix these bunny ears.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I feel like an idiot. A good eraser seems to work fine on woodless color pencils. You just have to work a lot harder at it.

Here is a flying monkey riding a monowheel.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 19, 2014

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Welp, it looks like my piece got chosen for the flyer of a show.

If anyone is in Costa Mesa on October 8th, please come by and say hi.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

My qatte, I draw she inna ink

Woah - what kind of pen? That's some crazy detail!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Team Lunch posted:

Here are two more of the series, will try to make a goal of 8.

Goatman and Jersey Devil:

This stuff is SO awesome!

Another photoscan scan. This time with a DSLR.

Although it wasn't a great dragon to begin with, I wanted to scan it before any more of it broke apart. Nevermind that there is already a dragon skeleton built into zbrush. This was more to test my first DSLR.
Original sculpt made of super sculpey and wire armature.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The work on this thread has gotten so impressive over time! You guys are pretty amazing.

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize but I have a question about mold.

Do you guys use Kilz as a primer or anything else to prevent mold on the canvas before painting on it? Do you do it under the gesso, or over it? I have heard before that some artists use Kilz or something similar but I wanted to check here before I bought anything.
TIA!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Troposphere posted:

been working on this mothman forever, feels good to get him done

This is pretty cool but I thought of an owl before a moth. Only realized it was a moth when I saw the visual cue of the antennae.

Sorry to ask this question again but it was at the bottom of the last page.

Do you guys use Kilz as a primer or anything else to prevent mold on the canvas before painting on it? Do you do it under the gesso, or over it? I have heard before that some artists use Kilz or something similar but I wanted to check here before I bought anything.

TIA!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Haven't drawn anything in what feels like for-fuckin-ever.

Da Vinci show was in town. I make it a policy not to copy other people's art / drawings but in this case... how could I not?
These are around 10 minutes each or so. Hard to dawdle when the tour guide kept coming around with a group. Photos not allowed!

His hatching is so precise. It was amazing to see the real thing, after seeing reproductions in books for so many years.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 6, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Buffalo , or "Platypus With Moustache"? hmmm ^^^

Reworked an old drawing for printing. Lightened up the background, whilst trying to keep the original texture intact.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Couple of sketches from the bar and a fish from my imagination.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fish inked with a real pen but colored with photoshop.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Life drawing on the left with pilot parallel pen. On the right are some sketches from imagination using a brush pen.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Been posting this in the daily drawing thread but I realize it should go here instead.

Bronze casting.

Al Sprague is teaching me the process, and I hope to make a casting from a 3d printout soon.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beelzebub posted:

I haven't painted with actual paint in far too long. In an effort to rebuild my confidence with oil paints, I completed this skull study the night before last.

Soooo good. :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

That is gorgeous. Can you give us a little idea of your workflow? I rarely hear someone use BOTH acrylic and oil. I assume the ink was the last step.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Here's another one. Critique most welcome.

Lighting seems off to me. If that one light is the only light source, then rest of the room should be darker vs. what is directly underneath it. Shadow under the arm could be darker.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Ballpoint and Gelly Roll pen on toned paypa

This is great!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Watercolor on the beach.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

TheNBucket posted:

Is that beach painted from life, photograf or memory/imagination?

It's really nice

Thank you. It was painted on the beach. Missing a lot of the people but they ... uh... move a lot. Amazing how many people who walked by and wanted to buy it for 10-20 bucks.

My friend next to me painted this one. In the time I painted one, he had painted three.

He keeps telling me to not be so precious about the details. It is a hard habit to break. Watercolor is difficult for so many reasons, but at least it dries fast on the beach.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Spilling drinks on my sketchbook again...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A little figure drawing in charcoal. I love/hate how much it smears. Gotta remember to use fixative.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Galileo Fingers posted:

Couple of new things, we're getting closer to October so this year I wanted to do some Halloween themed stuff. Here's a zombie and a screaming skull so far. Trying to improve my ink technique.

These are great! What are you using to ink?

Here are some sketches from today.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is pretty fantastic!

Content:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Totally great stuff!

If it's acrylic, it's hard to blend on the canvas unless you use a slow-dry medium (Golden OPEN), glazing medium or retarder medium. Otherwise you just have to work SUPER FAST! :supaburn:

I want to chime in here that you don't HAVE TO spend a lot of money on acrylic medium. Not bashing Golden, or any other brand but these mediums tend to be VERY expensive in the art store for a relatively small amount of medium.
Instead use Floetrol which you can buy at Home Depot or most hardware stores. It works just like acrylic medium but is MUCH MUCH cheaper. Something like 11 bucks a gallon. I highly recommend it. Technically, it is latex, but it works great IMO.

Alternatively, to dry acrylic faster, use a hair dryer. Avoid heat guns though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Man, I am loving the way you're handling inking this. Very lovely stuff. Are you using tech pens or nibs?

I did some experimenting this inktober with colored inks and drew a couple wendigos. Didn't have the time to do it all month, unfortunately, but I really need to keep doing this; I used colored inks nonstop as a young teen, and picking them up again has really made me get in touch with my more illustrative work as opposed to cartooning. It's weird how the supplies I used are so closely linked to the style of work I'm doing and I want to explore that some more.

These are great!

Here is a watercolor portrait I did last night.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

girl pants posted:

I like, and am bad at, painting.

is DeviantArt still a thing? Are there any goons there? I tried posting some things but I feel like I'm mainly screaming into the void. I would like some goon friends to offer crits :)

Pencil first to nail the proportions / anatomy. I prefer mechanical pencil, so it isn't so obvious. Go to life drawing workshops. Dr. Sketchy's is great but there are usually workshops hosted by colleges in most towns. It is a small fee but really, figure drawing every week will help anyone improve, if they work at it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

my painting of kiersey clemons, wanted to do a picture of her after watching dope. didnt quite get her likeness in the facial shape or jaw, but good practice.

watercolour on watercolour canvas. not the best photo, but fairly happy with it overall.

Turned out great!

Still obsessed with ballpoint.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

First art of 2016. Cheers

Dope.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did you put pen over pencil in that snailgon piece? Hard to see any pencil marks.

Here is a WIP for a tattoo design.

Super quick bar sketch

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2016

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Cool. I like that it's designy and iconic with the shapes and colors.

Timelapses are all the rage these days so I thought I'd do one. Maybe you like Bernie, maybe you don't (I do, I'm a big commie hippie liberal), but here's a pen and ink drawing vid I did of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPF2ZLRbzfw

Finished pic:

Looks great!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Do you guys ever have that one thing you keep drawing over the years?

For me - it is this guy.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A couple of characters from my head.

... and some random portraits of real people.

One last one from a few hours ago.

dog nougat posted:

I hate acrylics. Unfortunately no place near me sells golden open mediums, so trying to do a giant gradient using retarder was a colossal exercise in frustration and defeat. I'm convinced that the canvas in question is cursed. It's now had 3 incomplete paintings on it.

In the meantime I framed this piece.

I was going to paint it... Still might. Not 100% sure, I have to decide on what to put on the final canvas. Just one 12x16 painting and some lettering left.

Don't procrastinate kids.

Fake edit: anyone tried the liquitex blending medium? While researching how to potentially fix or even actually paint a gradient I came across a video about it. It looks like it could work for my purposes of increasing the open time of acrylics slightly.

Use Floetrol. It is cheap, comes in a large quantity and relatively easy to find (home depot).

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 25, 2016

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

More ink worship

Eyegasm!!

Went back to oil paints after forever. I hate it... but at least there is some progress. Don't mind the glare on the left side. The medium causes glare. Weird.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Couple of Krampus... or are they Krampii?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"Through the Looking Glass"
- graphite, charcoal and ink

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Painting a mural and struggling with the skin. Acrylic glazes can be hard. Especially when we are talking glazes several feet in size. It's above a local bar. I plan on using masking tape and contact paper / spray paint for the mandala.

Crossposted from the daily drawing thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Took a quick break from the mural. To make more life drawing on toned paper.

More work on the mural.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 17, 2017