Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Hmm... Well, I guess this fits here better than any other thread.

I found this crappy faded print of a mountain landscape in the garbage three years ago and held onto it because I liked the frame and thought, "Hey, I can always paint over the panel." But I didn't know what to paint so it sat around for a long while. This is what it looked like, sorta:

Then I needed to give a housewarming gift to my friend (goon friend) and I was broke and I thought I'd try to make something out of his favorite quote. This is the result:

The quote is from here. It's practically the guy's mantra.

Anyway, it didn't take much time and I like the way it turned out. I think I'll make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

There's a strange effect which is somewhat lost in the photo. When you are looking at it your eyes either focus on reading the letters, or piecing together the landscape, but not both at once, so your focus sort of shifts between this harsh message and the soothing scene, strengthening the contrast between them.

This thing has been sitting in my living room for two weeks now, and it's really depressing as poo poo to encounter it while drinking your first cup of coffee in the morning, so I can't wait to touch it up and give it away.

I would like to try again, though. I am going to go find a cheap 2nd hand painting, and paint over it in blue with "Think about your life, think about your choices," which I think I could handle if it were constantly confronting me.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Friends Are Evil posted:

New ink wash. Trying for something kind of different.

Jesus Christ, everything you post is amazing. I really love ink. Wow.

Ok, so I put away the Dehumanize Yourself painting, it's insanely depressing to have lying around and it started to influence the moods of everyone who spent time in my house in a very negative way. I tried to redeem my message to humanity with this one:

It looks good in real life, but for some reason it looks really terrible when photographed, it's either the gloss of the original print or the contrast of the green. :confused:

I almost passed it up at the thrift shop, but it's so great. An old man with a rifle in one hand and a glass of wine in the other locking eyes with a child as an empty bird cage hangs off in the background... Pretty great for an obscure print. And it came with a frame! And the frame came with a desiccated pouch of spider eggs!

twoday fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 5, 2014

twoday
May 4, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

Anyone have experience with water-soluble coloring pencils? I recently splurged on a bunch of materials and picked up a box of Prismacolors since I've never tried using them before. Anything they do particularly well?

I just found out these exist a few weeks ago and bought a pack and tried to draw a self-portrait, they were pretty cool. It looked like a lovely sketch till i applied water, then it looked like a painting.