Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPads go on sale pretty frequently from all retailers. I would not recommend buying one from Apple unless it’s within a few weeks of release.

Best Buy has them for $100 off every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Most recent Apple Pencil basically stays permanently affixed to my 12.9” Pro in its intended spot without any problems FWIW.

I use it maybe 30% of the time I’m using the tanker (trying to use the pencil more) but it’s not really a hassle if it comes off in my backpack because I can just reattach it.

Definitely a substantial upgrade over the first version and both add basically the only stylus I’ve ever felt are worth using.

If it’s a regular input device, you’ll be in a really good place. If you’re storing it in a drawer for weeks at a time, why did you buy it in the first place?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The case I’ve got on my iPad has a slot for magnetic charging, but it’s also got a stretchy fabric slot for it on the back that holds it much more securely. I keep the pencil on the magnetic slot the vast majority of the time, but if I’m worried about it getting jostled around it’s nice to have the more secure option.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FCKGW posted:

The iPads go on sale pretty frequently from all retailers. I would not recommend buying one from Apple unless it’s within a few weeks of release.

Best Buy has them for $100 off every few weeks.

Apple does allow payment plans, though, yes? I have the money for it but it's still a significant upfront cost.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arc Hammer posted:

Apple does allow payment plans, though, yes? I have the money for it but it's still a significant upfront cost.

You have to do it through an Apple Card, but yes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

0% interest on the Apple Card for Apple devices which is nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: Next iPadOS could ship with a calculator app :siren:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:eyepop:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe facebook will make an ipad app too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jokes posted:

Maybe facebook will make an ipad app too

Huh? Facebook has an iPad app. They don't have an IG app tho

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

With an Apple Card, yeah. I have a Best Buy card that does 5% back or 0% financing above certain dollar amounts so I get the same benefits there as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

If I remember our recent interaction about Honest Hearts correctly, you’re Canadian and people are giving you American answers. Payment plans are available through Affirm: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/financing

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

:monocle:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endless Mike posted:

Huh? Facebook has an iPad app. They don't have an IG app tho

Yeah, facebook the trillion dollar company can't figure out how to make an ipad app apparently

(they can, they just don't want to because ipads will show how low-quality IG's images/videos are. Though I don't think that's true anymore.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ipads already make instagram look like rear end so there's no reason for them to put effort into an ipad specific app that will also look like rear end. They've already accomplished assitude!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the announcement of a new iPad usually entail a price drop for the previous gen?

I'm likely gonna just wait until the event to see what the best purchase for me is, but at the same time sites mostly just seem to predict a more expensive Oled model that I'd probably pass on. But if it means I can save a few hundred on a current model it's definitely worth waiting imo. Also I'm planning on getting it from Costco so I guess if I totally screw myself I could just return it. Just want to get this project started Asap, so waiting two weeks kind of sucks but it does seem like a very dumb moment to buy an iPad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I swear every time I decide to buy a new apple product it coincidentally lines up with a new model on the horizon ugh.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

veni veni veni posted:

I swear every time I decide to buy a new apple product it coincidentally lines up with a new model on the horizon ugh.

The macrumors site has done me pretty good over the years on that front: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ Not that it helps you on the timing front, but at least you can get an idea if its in a state of yes buy now, or no wait a few weeks.

veni veni veni posted:

Does the announcement of a new iPad usually entail a price drop for the previous gen?

I'm likely gonna just wait until the event to see what the best purchase for me is, but at the same time sites mostly just seem to predict a more expensive Oled model that I'd probably pass on. But if it means I can save a few hundred on a current model it's definitely worth waiting imo. Also I'm planning on getting it from Costco so I guess if I totally screw myself I could just return it. Just want to get this project started Asap, so waiting two weeks kind of sucks but it does seem like a very dumb moment to buy an iPad

I think other retailers generally start to drop prices on last years iDevices they have a glut of, but I believe generally apple entirely delists them from sale. You'd probably be able to find them in the refrub area but won't have your pick of options. So for sure someone will have it on sale, how much and is it the model you want, will be an entirely different question.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 26, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

the thing is, specifically absolutely for you, it's worth waiting. you want a large 11" or so ipad for drawing, which has traditionally meant the top end pro, which is laptop levels of expensive. one of the rumoured new models that's going to be introduced is a similarly sized, drawing-capable ipad AIR, which should (would, but Apple can always do an Apple) be cheaper than even the last gen pros getting discounted. unless you see a ipad pro on apple refurb or like on woot or something, WITH warranty, then don't jump until after the event.

also, a reminder that if you buy an apple pencil and/or apple keyboard (NOT a third party kind of either, even if it's sold through apple) at the same time as you buy your ipad, it's covered under applecare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

There is always a newer better product on the horizon. It is unavoidable. Only worry about it if the announcement of it is a month or maybe two away.