Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone have any experience with the home button dying? Mine has been acting very erratically the past few days - sometimes it's fine, sometimes I'll need to press it multiple times to get it to work, and sometimes it just won't respond at all requiring me to reset the iPad. It's a 3rd gen (the first with retina display), so about 1 1/2 years old (I think, can't remember exactly when I bought it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Frankston posted:

Anyone have any experience with the home button dying? Mine has been acting very erratically the past few days - sometimes it's fine, sometimes I'll need to press it multiple times to get it to work, and sometimes it just won't respond at all requiring me to reset the iPad. It's a 3rd gen (the first with retina display), so about 1 1/2 years old (I think, can't remember exactly when I bought it).

It's one of the most used buttons and can break.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JHVH-1 posted:

The thing that sucks about accessories though is that the minute a new device comes out and you upgrade they are usually useless. You probably wouldn't get much resale value on it compared to the ipad itself. Sometimes I think it would be pretty profitable to get into the accessory business.

This is why I use a BT keyboard with an Origami case (for the keyboard). It works as an iPad stand and will continue to until there are drastic form changes to new iPads that either become larger or substantially heavier than current.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!

Frankston posted:

This just started happening to me as well. I cleaned it and it started working a little better but is still hit or miss. I may call SquareTrade and see what they think about it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The home button on my first mini would fail every 8-10 tries; since I had only bought it the day before I made an appt at apple.com/retail and after 10 mins of waiting the Fruit Stand techs agreed this shouldnt happen and swapped it out.

They let me test the new mini for ten minutes and the home button has never failed even once, ever since.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Back to school ends September 6th. Don't expect anything new until then. I'd expect to see new 10 inch iPads around September 19/20.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I figure this is the best place to ask this, but a friend recently died and his family would like to be able to access his ipad to see if there's any info on a will or a lockbox he had somewhere on it. Is there a way for them to do this without the password or are they boned?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask this, but a friend recently died and his family would like to be able to access his ipad to see if there's any info on a will or a lockbox he had somewhere on it. Is there a way for them to do this without the password or are they boned?

Pretty sure boned.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If he had an unencrypted iTunes backup on a computer they might be able to go through app data there (and manually inject stuff to view on another iPad if necessary). Otherwise yeah I think they're boned barring an exploit.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'll be away from home and traveling for a long stretch of time, and I would like to be able to access my large library of movies and music that reside on my USB drive. I have an iPad Mini that I would like to watch the videos on.

I know one way would be to jailbreak my device, get a special program off Cydia, buy the Apple lightning usb camera cable, and a powered USB hub. But is there an easier way? I will not have an internet connection. The USB device is one of the compact drives that runs off USB power and doesn't have it's own power cable.

If not then i'll just have to borrow a laptop.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My dad is looking for a keyboard for his iPad (v2 I believe). Any recommendations? He wants to be able to set the iPad up more like a small laptop when he has a lot of typing to do.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Apple's Bluetooth keyboard is the best desktop keyboard. If he wants to use it on his lap he'll need to buy one of those hosed up portfolio keyboards or something.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Splinter posted:

My dad is looking for a keyboard for his iPad (v2 I believe). Any recommendations? He wants to be able to set the iPad up more like a small laptop when he has a lot of typing to do.

Logitech Keyboard case is cool. 6 month battery life and good shortcut keys.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Splinter posted:

NewTrent Acradia. It's only ~$60 and turns the ipad into an (almost) laptop.

The case is clam-case style as well!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I can speak favorably over the Zagg case, but don't have experience with the newest one.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Splinter posted:

If he doesn't mind dropping some coin, the clamcase pro is amazing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm off to check them out now.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Torka posted:

Just ordered from the Apple store, based almost entirely on somebody linking me to a video demonstrating the GarageBand app. Holy poo poo that thing looks like criminal amounts of fun.
That's just the beginning:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm selling my iPad 3 in SA Mart if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561563

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Say a new iPad mini is launched and it has everything I've ever dreamed of (e.g. retina display, slightly larger screen). What would my best option be for selling my current mini and iPad 4? The 4 has a miniscule dent in one corner that is purely superficial.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
eBay, Amazon, Craigslist. The moment a new one is announced the prices on previous generation falls about 15-20%.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm trading my iPad off and I want to factory reset it before I give it to the other guy. I did a test reset and it asked for my Apple ID before I was able to set it up. Is there a way to get around this, or are we going to have to reset each iPad on site and activate it using our own Apple IDs and then it's tied to the new accounts?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Protocol7 posted:

I'm trading my iPad off and I want to factory reset it before I give it to the other guy. I did a test reset and it asked for my Apple ID before I was able to set it up. Is there a way to get around this, or are we going to have to reset each iPad on site and activate it using our own Apple IDs and then it's tied to the new accounts?

What?

I'm not even sure what you are asking. Just have the other guy use his own Apple ID.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sieg posted:

What?

I'm not even sure what you are asking. Just have the other guy use his own Apple ID.

It asks to login to the Apple ID used to activate the iPad, presumably as an anti-theft measure. I want to know if logging into your own account after you login to the Apple ID will transfer the ownership, so to speak, so if I have to reset my new iPad in the future it won't have to be logged into his account.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Protocol7 posted:

It asks to login to the Apple ID used to activate the iPad, presumably as an anti-theft measure. I want to know if logging into your own account after you login to the Apple ID will transfer the ownership, so to speak, so if I have to reset my new iPad in the future it won't have to be logged into his account.

Was iOS 7 ever installed on this device? Activation Lock hasn't been added to 6 IIRC.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

eBay, Amazon, Craigslist. The moment a new one is announced the prices on previous generation falls about 15-20%.

Okay, just wanted to make sure there wasn't one site that would be more successful than the default go-to resell sites.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hasters posted:

Was iOS 7 ever installed on this device? Activation Lock hasn't been added to 6 IIRC.

Actually, yeah. I reflashed it to 6.1.3. Didn't think the recipient wanted to fight the beta.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Protocol7 posted:

Actually, yeah. I reflashed it to 6.1.3. Didn't think the recipient wanted to fight the beta.

Ah, then what you'll have to do is put it back on and disable activation lock when you erase all contents and settings, then you can do a DFU or iTunes restore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Skittle Wood posted:

Okay, just wanted to make sure there wasn't one site that would be more successful than the default go-to resell sites.
Well Amazon has two or three routes to sell. You can sell direct to the buyer, send it in and have Amazon sell it for you ("Fulfillment by Amazon"), or sell it to Amazon. I did #2 for my first iPad way back, and thank god cause the drat buyer had buyer's remorse while it was in transit. Amazon took care of the return and still credited me the money...I have no clue how that worked or what the norm is, but I was happy. I did #3 for my mom's iPad just cause by that time the amount they were paying was about as much as I'd expected to get, so it was a good and easy deal.

eBay had something similar, but I don't know if they do it at certain times (like after refreshes or holidays) or if it was some other limited promotion.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

japtor posted:

Well Amazon has two or three routes to sell. You can sell direct to the buyer, send it in and have Amazon sell it for you ("Fulfillment by Amazon"), or sell it to Amazon. I did #2 for my first iPad way back, and thank god cause the drat buyer had buyer's remorse while it was in transit. Amazon took care of the return and still credited me the money...I have no clue how that worked or what the norm is, but I was happy. I did #3 for my mom's iPad just cause by that time the amount they were paying was about as much as I'd expected to get, so it was a good and easy deal.

eBay had something similar, but I don't know if they do it at certain times (like after refreshes or holidays) or if it was some other limited promotion.

I actually had no idea there were so many options on Amazon. I've never sold any devices that wasn't a transaction between myself and a friend.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Skittle Wood posted:

I actually had no idea there were so many options on Amazon. I've never sold any devices that wasn't a transaction between myself and a friend.
Forgot to mention that the fulfillment option has some fee for it that they take out of your sale...and I think some warehousing fee at some point, but I forget how long until that starts. And Amazon buying stuff isn't for everything, but it looks like they still do it for the 2nd-4th gen iPads at least, and I think it's for gift card credit only? Wasn't a big deal for me since I buy a lot of crap there to begin with but it's something to keep in mind.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What kind of screen protection is everyone using? I'm deliberating between the Zagg fullbody or some such, or a vinyl back skin and tempered glass front.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need a screen protector.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I thought the same on my Mini, but it was definitely scratched in a few places. Don't want the same thing to happen to this iPad.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

withak posted:

You don't need a screen protector.

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm sure my police officer friend would disagree

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm sure my police officer friend would disagree

Your pig friend doesn't need one either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

Your pig friend doesn't need one either.

And why don't I or his "pig friend" need a screen protector, exactly?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Screen protectors make the screens look like poo poo, the device is all screen that's all you use it for and you're going to cover it with some lovely $10 protector and reduce a lot of its polish and resolution? they remind me of those screen protectors people used way back then in the CRT days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That's why I'm open to options. I'm not going to buy some cheap poo poo off eBay for $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So my App center badge says I have 10 apps to update, but when I launch it and try to update I get this:

I've tried restarting my ipad and closing the app , what gives?