Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Same with my phone in person. They take a quick look, do a couple of tests, and you're good to go. In fact, you get slightly more credit if you use it on a purchase then and there, and slightly less if you just apply the credit to your account. Go for it OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How much is a flight to Oregon compared to the sales tax on an iPad Pro...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Think of it as how much is a sweet vacation in Oregon that also gets you a new iPad on discount!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

How much is a flight to Oregon compared to the sales tax on an iPad Pro...

Probably more than a train to Delaware

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Grumbles posted:

Same with my phone in person. They take a quick look, do a couple of tests, and you're good to go. In fact, you get slightly more credit if you use it on a purchase then and there, and slightly less if you just apply the credit to your account. Go for it OP

Cheers one and all. Do they need the original box or anything else or just the device itself?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just the device. Nothing else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

That's great. I'll be in New York from 7th May to 12th May, are the new iPads due out by then?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's great. I'll be in New York from 7th May to 12th May, are the new iPads due out by then?

The current rumor isa may update/release

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My cat has been playing Mouse for Cats for over a year now and I think she wants another game to play, maybe something with bugs (she really loves to murder bugs). Anyone have suggestions? This is a serious post tia.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

The current rumor isa may update/release

Knowing my luck they'll launch the day after I leave. The Apple site tells me I'll get £65 trading in my 1st gen iPad Pro, which is a bit disappointing but not surprising considering it's 7 years old now.

Would it be madness for me to buy a latest gen iPad Air to replace the old Pro? I think the speakers on the Pro would be better but everything else should be an improvement I take it?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

My cat has been playing Mouse for Cats for over a year now and I think she wants another game to play, maybe something with bugs (she really loves to murder bugs). Anyone have suggestions? This is a serious post tia.

There's an iOS app thread that might be better for this question. Nobody in this thread uses apps. We just polish our screens with microfiber cloths and stare out our battery indicators so we can unplug from the mains the second it hits 80%.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you truly love your cat you will collect old hardware and build a kiosk and play cat themed youtube videos on it.

https://i.imgur.com/hU5zGBp.mp4

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

If you truly love your cat you will collect old hardware and build a kiosk and play cat themed youtube videos on it.

https://i.imgur.com/hU5zGBp.mp4

I do this too with CatTV YouTube videos but they aren't interactive.

e: I posted this ITT cause it feels like the iOS app thread is 99% geared towards iPhone apps. My cat uses my old 11" iPad Pro.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 30, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Knowing my luck they'll launch the day after I leave. The Apple site tells me I'll get £65 trading in my 1st gen iPad Pro, which is a bit disappointing but not surprising considering it's 7 years old now.

Would it be madness for me to buy a latest gen iPad Air to replace the old Pro? I think the speakers on the Pro would be better but everything else should be an improvement I take it?

I have been nothing but content with my 11" m1 iPad pro. The M1 Air will be fine.

Ask yourself how much your use case reeally needs:
- an M2/3 instead if you don't professionally edit photos/video/do CAD work
- 120hz refresh rate, when pretty much nothing but the ui or games can use it
- two extra speakers (tbh four speakers is great; the separation on tracks like Ain't No Rest For The Wicked is really good)
- an extra tenth of an inch in screen size (you won't notice)
- an oled screen that i don't think was ever actually confirmed; is still just a rumor; that may or may not support hdr levels of brightness like the current iPhone/Macbook Pro does

I do recommend getting the 256 either way; it fills up fast with downloaded audiobooks/music/videos/etc.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 30, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The 12.9” size feels like a really random jumbo size until you realize it’s large enough to display a piece of US letter sized paper at 100% zoom. If you’re doing art or something like that on your iPad, that’s a huge huge asset, or if you read stuff at letter size a ton of the time where it needs to be displayed perfectly.

If you’re not, it doesn’t make much sense to get that size. (So if you need it, you’ll notice.) One of the rumors for the refresh is that there will be a 12.9” iPad Air though.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I have a 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro and I freakin love the thing. I just charged it up so my partner could take it to an open house today to use it for music and signing in. I never would have thought it would be the apple product I’d get the most use out of and would last the longest.
I will say there was a time a year or two ago when I thought it was going to die. It would do the “plugged/unplugged” sound when trying to charge. I tried a number of chargers and cables. It was bad enough that I stopped using it for a while.
I don’t know wtf happened but I picked it back up some time later and started using it again. No issues at all and I’ve been using it for 2 more years. Craziest thing. Maybe some moisture got into it and then finally dried out? I really have no idea how it fixed itself.
I’m looking to get a new one this May for the sole feature of LiDAR. Want to try doing some NERFs and Guassian Splats :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my 12.9 and if they make an oled one it’s an instant buy for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I have been nothing but content with my 11" m1 iPad pro. The M1 Air will be fine.

Ask yourself how much your use case reeally needs:
- an M2/3 instead if you don't professionally edit photos/video/do CAD work
- 120hz refresh rate, when pretty much nothing but the ui or games can use it
- two extra speakers (tbh four speakers is great; the separation on tracks like Ain't No Rest For The Wicked is really good)
- an extra tenth of an inch in screen size (you won't notice)
- an oled screen that i don't think was ever actually confirmed; is still just a rumor; that may or may not support hdr levels of brightness like the current iPhone/Macbook Pro does

I do recommend getting the 256 either way; it fills up fast with downloaded audiobooks/music/videos/etc.

Yeah I don't use it for anything that a regular iPad can't do, it's basically a consumption device for me. I'd love an OLED screen of course but the main thing I'd like improved is the speed, either the A9X hasn't aged well or it needs more RAM.

Does that iPad Air have a decent quality screen compared with the original iPad Pro in terms of colour gamut and viewing angles?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah I don't use it for anything that a regular iPad can't do, it's basically a consumption device for me. I'd love an OLED screen of course but the main thing I'd like improved is the speed, either the A9X hasn't aged well or it needs more RAM.

Does that iPad Air have a decent quality screen compared with the original iPad Pro in terms of colour gamut and viewing angles?

Tom's guide has a review of the 10, Air 5, and Pro:
https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/i-review-tablets-for-a-living-and-this-is-the-one-id-buy

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I downsized to the mini recently (from an M1 Pro) and have been really digging it. I kinda miss 120 hz but for reading RPG sourcebooks in bed and poopsocking Slay the Spire, it more than fits my needs at a form factor that’s way easier to manage. Just perspective from the small screen crowd.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks son, I'll have a read. It's funny how old fashioned the OG iPads look now, a bit like looking at phones from 10 years ago too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

I downsized to the mini recently (from an M1 Pro) and have been really digging it. I kinda miss 120 hz but for reading RPG sourcebooks in bed and poopsocking Slay the Spire, it more than fits my needs at a form factor that’s way easier to manage. Just perspective from the small screen crowd.

Do you ever read comics on it? If so, how does the size hold up for that?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This Apple stepping stone stuff is infuriating. The maddening storage options making one zigzag up the ladder crack me up.

Still, iPad Air seems the way to go right now.

Oh yeah, which models are rumoured to have OLED screens?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The pro models.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m thinking about picking up a mini as a companion device to my 12.9” M2 Pro because I’m a colossal idiot???

I love my Pro, but having something smaller for notes and sketches at meetings would be nice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm putting money on Apple increasing the price by eliminating the 128 option, and just starting at the current 256gb prices, like they did with the 15 Pro/Max

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

The Grumbles posted:

Do you ever read comics on it? If so, how does the size hold up for that?

I just pulled up Comixology/Kindle to try it out. If you do the per panel zoom thing it's great, but I think dialog on full page is a little small. The high DPI is really nice though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

I’m thinking about picking up a mini as a companion device to my 12.9” M2 Pro because I’m a colossal idiot???

I love my Pro, but having something smaller for notes and sketches at meetings would be nice.

I also have a 12.9 pro, I also have considered this, and to emphasize, I am also a colossal idiot.

I will say, I had the mini for years before the Pro, so it is something I have had a preference for.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I mean if your 12.9 is a laptop replacement rather than a media device I could see a use case. Or if you just hate having money.

TBH I'd wait to see if they update the mini later this year. I switched recently because we're probably moving out of the US soon and I bought an actual laptop so I could work while I figure out how to get all my electronics down to Costa Rica.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

I also have a 12.9 pro, I also have considered this, and to emphasize, I am also a colossal idiot.

I will say, I had the mini for years before the Pro, so it is something I have had a preference for.

Perhaps we’re simply people colossal idiots of culture and good taste?

I mean if your 12.9 is a laptop replacement rather than a media device I could see a use case. Or if you just hate having money.

Yeah, I’m using it more or less as a laptop replacement. Having a single screen I can work productively on without getting constantly distracted by my own shitforbrains is really nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If I wasn't an idiot with too much money that wanted to read comics at cost to full size, I'd get an Air with as much storage as I could afford.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

Yes! I am letting my wife know there is some hope after all.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, I’m using it more or less as a laptop replacement. Having a single screen I can work productively on without getting constantly distracted by my own shitforbrains is really nice.

I mean, a mini could be a good companion there but unless you’re looking for extreme portability I don’t think you’re getting a huge improvement to your lifestyle. I use mine for poo poo posting, reading, and light gaming so the M1 11” was a complete (beautiful) waste on me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The 11" m1 is great because you can turn on that desktop mode and shitpost in three different apps while also running YouTube in PiP

:iia:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mister Facetious posted:

The 11" m1 is great because you can turn on that desktop mode and shitpost in three different apps while also running YouTube in PiP

Living the dream :hmmyes:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

This but the 12.9 and I can play RuneScape while YouTube is PIP

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My biggest regret is getting the 12.9 over the 11 but we have established already that I am a colossal idiot.

It is great for the times we watch videos, especially travel, but it’s not near often enough where I should have prioritized it over the more portable 11 (again, I liked the Mini size to start with).

This is a very first world problem to have.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The solution is to watch more TV and do less of whatever else you're doing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

My biggest regret is getting the 12.9 over the 11 but we have established already that I am a colossal idiot.

It is great for the times we watch videos, especially travel, but it’s not near often enough where I should have prioritized it over the more portable 11 (again, I liked the Mini size to start with).

This is a very first world problem to have.

If you got the 11” you wouldn’t be in the wolf pack. That’s an even bigger regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean, a mini could be a good companion there but unless you’re looking for extreme portability I don’t think you’re getting a huge improvement to your lifestyle. I use mine for poo poo posting, reading, and light gaming so the M1 11” was a complete (beautiful) waste on me.

M2 12.9 is generally used for CAD work and articles. In addition to being a colossal idiot I have clinical Donkey Brain and have a hard time staying on task with my full desktop or work laptop.