Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There was a 12.9 M1 NOS sale on woot back in like August and I missed it, but then I jumped on a similar sale in November and grabbed a cellular 11 inch model with 2 terabytes of storage for ~$950 and I still occasionally feel regret for missing the sale on the bigger one.

I use it for drawing and music apps and as more-or-less a laptop replacement for lots of other tasks, and even filming if needed, so having at least 512gb was key. I like the portability of the smaller Pro, but I recently tried editing video on it and really felt like I missed the extra display real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah, for the longest time I couldn't figure out why the 12.9" existed, but then when using the 11" it felt really in-between sizes. When I wanted to use it for productivity, the multi-tasking was just barely adequate for my needs, and it's heavy enough that using it as a couch reader wasn't ideal. I also imagine a keyboard for the 12.9" would feel a lot better for office work. But then you're also paying more for the 12.9" than an Air (once you factor in the cost of the Magic Keyboard), and it'd be tough for me to miss out on a much more useful OS in exchange for battery life.

Like, I just priced out a 12.9" cellular with 256GB of space and a Magic Keyboard and it comes in at $1,748 and weighs as much as a Macbook Pro. An M3 Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage is $2,000. An Air with 24GB of memory is $1,699. I don't get it and I've been an iPad guy for like 10 years now.

In summary, Apple products are a land of contrasts.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 1, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Well Played Mauer posted:

I don't get it and I've been an iPad guy for like 10 years now.

The keyboard is for stupid people, with more brand loyalty than sense.

If you want a keyboard, buy a MacBook.
If you want a touchscreen laptop, buy a Windows machine.

Buy something that's fit-for-purpose in the first place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

lol no

the magic keyboard is hella expensive but it’s loving transformative for the iPad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

lol no

the magic keyboard is hella expensive but it’s loving transformative for the iPad

Yeah; it transformed it into a MacBook that has no headphone jack, smaller speakers, less software utility, worse cooling, shorter battery life, fewer ports, and costs more

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 1, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah; it transformed it into a MacBook has less utility, worse cooling, fewer ports, and costs more

yeah but it also makes the iPad a lot more useful, and right now I don’t have a Macbook. I’ve mostly retired the 2013 retina pro and so I currently use a desktop PC and the aforementioned iPad, so the latter has to do a lot of laptop-like poo poo and the keyboard is great for that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

yeah but it also makes the iPad a lot more useful, and right now I don’t have a Macbook. I’ve mostly retired the 2013 retina pro and so I currently use a desktop PC and the aforementioned iPad, so the latter has to do a lot of laptop-like poo poo and the keyboard is great for that.

Yeah, i retired my 2012 mini; the pro is so good with casual computer stuff, and way more performant, too :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big advantage to an iPad over a MacBook is apps on the iPad have to be runnable on all models so if you get the beefy iPads it's almost impossible to get slowdowns. Even low spec iPads do well.

MacBooks obviously win with the variety of crap you can run but if there's a good mobile version of what you need the lines get more blurry.

iPad with a keyboard rocks. And the pencil.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m never buying another pencil.

I’ve had 3 of the stupid things and used them like 4 times.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Still love my pencil. I only occasionally use it, but it's so nice to use when I do. It's the airpods that are garbage. They are finicky to charge and the noise cancelling/passthru modes have turned into feedback machines directly into my ear.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

The big advantage to an iPad over a MacBook is apps on the iPad have to be runnable on all models so if you get the beefy iPads it's almost impossible to get slowdowns. Even low spec iPads do well.

MacBooks obviously win with the variety of crap you can run but if there's a good mobile version of what you need the lines get more blurry.

iPad with a keyboard rocks. And the pencil.

Agreed. The only things the gen 9 struggles with are ram/graphics intensive applications, like browser tabs, or art-audio track layers

Only reason i traded up was the added Ram, and faceID (my fingers have quite a few scars :-/ )

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Buy something that's fit-for-purpose in the first place.

Magic keyboard hwips rear end, sorry you lead a joyless life (unless it’s a money thing then let’s go frag oil infrastructure)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can't imagine doing serious cad work on an iPad. Even with a keyboard and mouse I can't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't imagine doing serious cad work on an iPad. Even with a keyboard and mouse I can't.

To be fair absolutely nothing makes CAD work fun. It's just picking which level of hell you can tolerate.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think it’s fun :saddowns:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m never buying another pencil.

I’ve had 3 of the stupid things and used them like 4 times.

Yeah I bought one and have used it like twice.

The Magic Keyboard though I really like. The touchpad is great, and the magnetic snap on/off is so useful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Magic keyboard hwips rear end, sorry you lead a joyless life (unless it’s a money thing then let’s go frag oil infrastructure)

I just use throw the Magic Keyboard i bought for my Mac Mini into my bag if I *reeally* expect to use one. My Magic Trackpad too, since it kicks rear end.

Otherwise, I live the swipe-to-type life

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The trick to the Magic Keyboard is that last gen, maybe even last 2 gens, fit the current pro models just fine and sometimes you still find those on deep discount / clearance / refurbished sale every now and then.

Paying full price for these would be wild.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Clarification: by "Magic Keyboard" i mean this one, not the iPad cover:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produ...624199f176dd7a7

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The trick to the Magic Keyboard is that last gen, maybe even last 2 gens, fit the current pro models just fine and sometimes you still find those on deep discount / clearance / refurbished sale every now and then.

Paying full price for these would be wild.

As a keyboard lover I 100% agree.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The pencil also rules, probably my favorite input device ever?? Why are y’all buying things that you don’t need or want?

The pencil rules in CAD software, too. It’s really nice in both Onshape and 3D Creator.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

The pencil also rules, probably my favorite input device ever?? Why are y’all buying things that you don’t need or want?

I got the pencil because I was going all in with a pro, so what's another $100 or whatever it was? Glad I did too. Don't need it, but real nice to work with and handy to have on hand the once every few months I need it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I use the pencil to tap stuff on my screen because gently caress fingerprints :argh: Seriously, I don’t think I ever actually touch my screen with my fingers since I got a pencil last year!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There are so many multifinger gestures, do you just not use them? :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My ipad screen is perpetually smudgy but I still use the pencil all the time, it's great for precise slider/knob adjustments. Even if the UI is designed around big chonky fingers the precision of the pencil is really nice.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I use the pencil for occasional notetaking and sometimes as a mouse replacement. I'll go weeks/months without using it, then go on a tear with it, and repeat the cycle. I don't really remember the $100 I spent on it years ago but for me it's very much a luxury nice to have, not a real need.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Bottom Liner posted:

Occasionally I’ll pinch to zoom out/spread to zoom in, but that’s about it. And I have a microfiber cloth to take care of even that! But I can go days without needing to do even that since my (9th gen, 64Gb basic model) tablet is mainly for YouTube and web browsing in bed, both of which fit fine on the iPad’s bigger-than-my-iPhone screen!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One of my 5yos left my Pencil 1st gen for my 9 in a restaurant last week :( Parent brain fart on the third table sweep before we left.
I have a hard time justifying buying a new one because of how loving stupid it to charge.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One of my 5yos left my Pencil 1st gen for my 9 in a restaurant last week :( Parent brain fart on the third table sweep before we left.
I have a hard time justifying buying a new one because of how loving stupid it to charge.

time for a new iPad!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

time for a new iPad!

I was eyeballing a new Pro with my yearly Costco cash back because I hate the 60 Hz refresh on the 9 when scrolling, coming from a 15P with 120. But then I bought a handful of Greenworks tools with it instead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was eyeballing a new Pro with my yearly Costco cash back because I hate the 60 Hz refresh on the 9 when scrolling, coming from a 15P with 120. But then I bought a handful of Greenworks tools with it instead.

there should be an even newer Pro coming later this spring, so it might be worth waiting either way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I use two pencils :agesilaus:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

there should be an even newer Pro coming later this spring, so it might be worth waiting either way

Yeah, that's exactly why I was sitting on my cash back rebate, but made the mistake of going into the store to browse and welp.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I use two pencils :agesilaus:

I have this image of using apple pencils like chopsticks with the iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll almost certainly update my 2020 10" Pro to whatever hits this year. It's easily my most used gadget and I have to remind myself to give my MacBook some love or it'll sit unused for weeks at a time. Keyboard folio is definitely part of what makes it a daily driver -- just enough convenience to keep me from using a lovely on screen keyboard, but just folds away out of sight when I'm not using it.

If somehow the mag pencil isn't compatible then a pencil certainly isn't a day one add-on, but I can easily see it being a late night poor impulse control purchase in a month or two. I have two mag pencils and like others I probably go months between using them, but then when I do use it it's invariably for something that would be way too annoying to sketch by dragging a sausage across glass.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I travel a good bit these days, and it usually involves at least one work day so I end up bringing my work MBP and my personal MBA. I've been thinking about getting an ipad in service of having less bulky electronics along for the ride. It's been a long time since I did any coding while travelling, so I think I can live without a full Unix at my fingertips for the occasional long weekend. I also do more hiking than I used to and am very fond of an app named GaiaGPS. I've used it on my phone for years, but I do like the idea of having a bigger display at hand for planning purposes when on camping/road trips.

I've been doing this long enough to be comfortable with the fact that there's no such thing as "future proofing" computing hardware, but with the persistent rumors of a whole-line refresh/cleanup for ipads, I did want to wait for that to materialize -- I've been waiting on that since December and it getting pushed back to May made me grumpy. How do I even know this will work out well, anyhow?

So I decided to lowball this and see if I'm happy with a not-up-to-date / mildly suboptimal setup. I snagged a used 5th gen Mini (with GPS) off ebay for $200 and dug a $15 no-name bluetooth mini keyboard out of my parts bin. They're currently living together in a neoprene laptop sleeve. I reckon that if noodling around with that pairing for the next few weeks (which will include one weekend trip) doesn't feel like a nightmare, then I'll probably be happy stepping up to something current when the new models come out.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Honestly the m series iPads are all overkill and unless you really want that oled panel I don’t think you need to wait for the refresh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the 8gb ram is the most important part of having an M chip iPad; cause something, something, browser tabs joke.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, the 8gb ram is the most important part of having an M chip iPad; cause something, something, browser tabs joke.

When the first M series ipad pro came out I bought the highest end one (2tb model) because that was the only way to get 16GB of RAM in it. I use my ipad mostly for Clip Studio Paint and it does help now with all the features to CSP that have been added but at the time only a little bit. drat thing cost more than my MBA that I got last year and I probably have only used a few gigs of the space available on the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When the first M series ipad pro came out I bought the highest end one (2tb model) because that was the only way to get 16GB of RAM in it. I use my ipad mostly for Clip Studio Paint and it does help now with all the features to CSP that have been added but at the time only a little bit. drat thing cost more than my MBA that I got last year and I probably have only used a few gigs of the space available on the iPad.

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about