Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about

Up here in Canada they pay you to get a master’s degree a lot of the time. I did buy my iPad Pro with part of my stipend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about

drat Apple tax! :argh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MBA isn't a real Masters degree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

MBA isn't a real Masters degree.

:hmmyes:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Had anyone had any luck with a generic chinese Pencil on a iPad 9.7 or 10.5?

I took a punt on one that was one sale even though it said it wasn't compatible, because it specifically said it was compatible with iPad Amateur 6,7,8,9,10.

I can't get it to work on a Pro 10.5, but don't have any other devices to test it with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm absolutely shocked a generic $5 pencil didn't work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It wasn't a super cheap generic capacitive stylus, it was one of those $30 ones that has magnets but no wireless charging, like a Pencil 2, and yet it claims it works on iPads Amateur and Air, like a Pencil 1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

It wasn't a super cheap generic capacitive stylus, it was one of those $30 ones that has magnets but no wireless charging, like a Pencil 2, and yet it claims it works on iPads Amateur and Air, like a Pencil 1.

If the pencil didn't have your model listed as being compatible, and it didn't work, then I would say the pencil is working as intended. I'm not sure what help we can be when we have no idea what you actually purchased plus the fact that from your description, your model isn't even compatible.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The fact that it’s listing a bunch of much earlier base iPad models that were never pencil compatible probably should have been a red flag, if nothing else.

Probably just chalk that one up to a lost gamble and get one of those 30 dollar crayola pens or something instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

If the pencil didn't have your model listed as being compatible, and it didn't work, then I would say the pencil is working as intended. I'm not sure what help we can be when we have no idea what you actually purchased plus the fact that from your description, your model isn't even compatible.

I get what you're saying, but I do have to assume that all these generic Pencils are the same guts inside.

It was this product: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BCWGC7GJ

Vegastar posted:

The fact that it’s listing a bunch of much earlier base iPad models that were never pencil compatible probably should have been a red flag, if nothing else.

iPad Amateur 6+ is Pencil 1 compatible.

---

Both of you are correct, I'm probably gonna have to pound sand, I'm just surprised that there's a generic device that is somehow both a Pencil 1 and a Pencil 2 but not quite!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Oh, you’re right. For some reason I thought pencil support came to the base model way later than that. My bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looking at getting an iPad Pro to mess around with for drawing, photos and replacing my old laptop. Would the 512GB internal storage be enough for everyday work and saving Procreate images or would a 1TB be worth the extra cost?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you believe rumors there should be a refresh releasing in the next few months with an OLED screen so it might be worth waiting if you can

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Looking at getting an iPad Pro to mess around with for drawing, photos and replacing my old laptop. Would the 512GB internal storage be enough for everyday work and saving Procreate images or would a 1TB be worth the extra cost?

I got a new-in-box 2TB cellular M1 model from Woot/Amazon for like half off retail. If you don't want to wait for a similar deal (or a similar deal on an M2 model once the refresh happens), I would at least encourage you to wait for the new models to drop. The expectation is that it'll be a fairly sizeable update, with a change to the chassis, a switch to OLED and M3, and a substantial update to the expensive keyboard accessory that is absolutely worth getting if you're already shelling out for a Pro and a Pencil.

I've ended up using mine to shoot a ton of video (Usually I set it up as a Camera 2 to my iPhone's Camera 1) and I'd like to play around with editing a bit on the ipad too, and so all of the storage is really nice in that regard. I'm currently using it as a bit of a laptop replacement with a Windows desktop while I retire my notebook from 2013, so being able to dump files onto it with impunity and still use it to do "iPad poo poo" like synth apps and whatnot (and also film) is cool. I think 512 or 1TB would absolutely be fine tho (definitely get more than 128 or 256 IMO).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 19, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As for storage, 512GB is probably plenty but I can only speak for myself. It obviously depends on how many art assets you intend to dump onto the thing.

But I have a 256GB ipad pro with like 40GB of music/art/video related stuff so I haven't even used half the available storage. I feel like a 1TB model is only useful if you do a ton of video editing or hoard assets.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you ever want to take a stab at one of the new big ports like Resident Evil, etc, you’ll want to have a good amount of storage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh I've got a good PC with loads of storage space. This is more for times when I need to go portable.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I got one of these to use with my iPad 9th generation (the 10.2” 64Gb for reading books/comics/audiobooks) and it works so well I’ve been doodling with it in waiting rooms and such. I’m in no way rich or a professional, but it works great!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

May 7 is new iPad announcement day.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Jose Oquendo posted:

May 7 is new iPad announcement day.

I'm looking forward to it. My "is a tablet a good travel computing device for me?" experiment has gone far better than I expected.

Of course the biggest reason to buy a new iPad is the rumor that iPadOS 18 will include a calculator. Gotta maximize your compatibility window!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Announcement in May, release window when?

I'm wondering if I should just buy something now with the M2 chip if I'm going for drawing apps. People already use it for art and animation, and maybe there will be a markdown.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm wondering if I should just buy something now with the M2 chip if I'm going for drawing apps. People already use it for art and animation, and maybe there will be a markdown.

It’s usually a pretty quick release for the iPads a few weeks at most.

If the 12.9 pro doesn’t have a vastly better screen I won’t be upgrading

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a 12.9 pro with no camera cluster and four usb ports, one on each edge.

And a keyboard foilo that has a place to secure the pencil.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I could do without the back camera on the 12.9. I’d love to know the numbers of people that actually use that camera on the 12.9

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I could do without the back camera on the 12.9. I’d love to know the numbers of people that actually use that camera on the 12.9

i do, because my phone is a 6s so the ipad is an immensely better cat snapper

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I use it as a QR code scanner, mostly. Sometimes cat pictures.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its good for scanning documents in a pinch

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Isn’t the LiDAR tied to the camera on the back?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hatty posted:

Its good for scanning documents in a pinch

Completely forgot about this. I’ve used it for this quite a bit, yeah.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Arc Hammer posted:

Most things get announced on a Tuesday, preorder Friday, and release the following Friday.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

LiDAR CAT scans for virtual catte experiences. :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite being an Apple user since about 2007, I have managed to escape the desire to ever own an ipad. Just felt like an iphone/laptop combo was more my speed. I haven't really kept up with the iPad generations or features at all. I do however want to get back into drawing and after trying to figure out the logistics of a big project I want to start I'm starting to think it makes the most sense to just step into the digital age and work on a tablet. I have limited space and the thought of drawing on a tablet is becoming increasingly appealing.

I guess I'm just looking for the best option. I do want an ipad pro or at least an iPad with an 11 inch+ screen so I have enough space to work. Prices are all over the place though. Like, I'm looking at iPads and I can find 11inch and above screens ranging from 200 up to 1200 and I have no idea what I need or should go for. I'd like to use it for other basic stuff like browsing and videos, but really the only important thing is being able to use it as a drawing tool.

I'm just looking for a rec on which one to buy. Money is kind of tight right now so cheaper is good but I also want a good experience so I guess I'm curious about any relevant features on available models. Also how much generations matter when it comes to apple pencils. tia

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They’re announcing new iPads and based on the image, maybe a new pencil, in a couple of weeks. I would wait until then before thinking about all that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

They’re announcing new iPads and based on the image, maybe a new pencil, in a couple of weeks. I would wait until then before thinking about all that.

Good know, thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Generation matters a lot when it comes to Apple pencils for drawing. In particular you absolutely non-negotiably want pressure sensitivity.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Arivia posted:

Generation matters a lot when it comes to Apple pencils for drawing. In particular you absolutely non-negotiably want pressure sensitivity.

Was that what’s missing on the 1st gen iPad Pro and subsequently why all of the pencils are different?

I have a 1st gen and never had the desire to get a pencil for it… but recently thought I’d look it up and maybe grab one. The 1st gen needs a very specific pencil it seems.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

namlosh posted:

Was that what’s missing on the 1st gen iPad Pro and subsequently why all of the pencils are different?

I have a 1st gen and never had the desire to get a pencil for it… but recently thought I’d look it up and maybe grab one. The 1st gen needs a very specific pencil it seems.

yes and also the first gen pencil has a goofy charging setup

they all charge in annoying ways, though. The second gen pencil charges and pairs wirelessly/magnetically which is super nice and convenient but also if you leave it away from its iPad for too long, like in a drawer or whatever for several months, it’ll eventually kill the battery dead and require a replacement

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do they sell bundles with the pencil at all? Even it's not apple, like coscto or something is fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Do they sell bundles with the pencil at all? Even it's not apple, like coscto or something is fine.

Maybe? They do go on sale every once in a while. You can also get a slight discount if you ‘shop for college’ on Apple’s website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
they go on sale pretty frequently from Amazon, etc, and also occasionally Apple has refurbs in stock