Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

That's why I'm open to options. I'm not going to buy some cheap poo poo off eBay for $3.

All of the options are basically cheap poo poo off ebay, the ones that cost more than $3 are just a bigger ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Used to use screen protectors religiously, but after goon recommendations not too have ditched them from my iPhone 4/5 as well as my iPad.

The screen protectors just muddy up the sharpness of the retina display and feel like poo poo to touch.

I have the odd minor scratch here and there but nothing beyond hard to notice during normal used.

My GF on the other hand uses them on both her iPhone and iPad, but that's due to wearing fake nails as she worries about them scratching the screen.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

withak posted:

All of the options are basically cheap poo poo off ebay, the ones that cost more than $3 are just a bigger ripoff.

I was given a Zagg one as a gift from someone, and used it for a couple of months just so their feelings wouldn't be hurt. I hated it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I got one of these that does the job of screen protector and keyboard, all in one nice, slim, light package. I love my slim, light package.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/solar-keyboard-folio

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for but you flip the cover when you're not using it and your screen is protected. The only way I can see you damaging your screen while you are using it is by dropping it. Unless you've got kids or something I guess or there's some other creative way that isn't jumping out at me.

I see screen protectors as the modern day equivalent of your grandparents wrapping the couch in plastic. Hey, check it out, your *thing* is going to stay pristine forever! Sure it will, because you'll never actually get to enjoy it properly or get the most out of it. I think some sort of slimline case is going to do the job way better than a bit of plastic or something on your actual screen, messing up your display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: screen protectors, matte ones screw with retina display clarity, wet application (soft?) ones feel bad, while the glossy static cling thin/hard plastic sheet ones seem alright, from the ones I've seen/used before at least. They do have their own drawback in that the plastic is relatively easy to scratch vs the glass, so it can end up getting all scratched up with stuff that might not have affected the glass at all in the first place, so your screen looks like poo poo anyway because the protector itself isn't scratch resistant.

...well another option is a glass protector but they're relatively costly, like $20-30* $60-80? Basically just a thin sheet of glass that sticks on and supposedly looks and feels fine since it's glass like the screen (although I don't remember if they have an oleophobic coating, so they might get more fingerprinty).

*forgot this was the iPad thread, didn't even know they existed until the link a few posts below :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 29, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

japtor posted:

Re: screen protectors, matte ones screw with retina display clarity, wet application (soft?) ones feel bad, while the glossy static cling thin/hard plastic sheet ones seem alright, from the ones I've seen/used before at least. They do have their own drawback in that the plastic is relatively easy to scratch vs the glass, so it can end up getting all scratched up with stuff that might not have affected the glass at all in the first place, so your screen looks like poo poo anyway because the protector itself isn't scratch resistant.

...well another option is a glass protector but they're relatively costly, like $20-30? Basically just a thin sheet of glass that sticks on and supposedly looks and feels fine since it's glass like the screen (although I don't remember if they have an oleophobic coating, so they might get more fingerprinty).

Do they even make glass screen protectors in iPad size?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

withak posted:

Your pig friend doesn't need one either.

Well he does. I'm not sure where this insane badmouthing came from though - I'm sure he was a real pig when he risked his life to pull someone out of a burning car. What a pig thing to do.

Anyways, that retard aside, I think screen protectors are quite useless to myself, but people who submit their phone to things that can scratch it, it's a great idea. Most people don't complain about it not being "as retina" except for nerds like us.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

Do they even make glass screen protectors in iPad size?

BodyGuardz does for both the iPad and the Mini.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Beastie posted:

So my App center badge says I have 10 apps to update, but when I launch it and try to update I get this:

I've tried restarting my ipad and closing the app , what gives?

This is happening to me too. This is something on Apple's side and is affecting only iPads.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Well he does. I'm not sure where this insane badmouthing came from though - I'm sure he was a real pig when he risked his life to pull someone out of a burning car. What a pig thing to do.

Anyways, that retard aside, I think screen protectors are quite useless to myself, but people who submit their phone to things that can scratch it, it's a great idea. Most people don't complain about it not being "as retina" except for nerds like us.

And what exactly is he doing with his iPad as a police officer that requires a screen protector?

I think he was just pointing out the absurdity of what you said. Because it made no sense.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At the very least, I want a skin that goes on the back. I don't have the patience for something like the iCarbons, since you'd have to use a blowdryer to form the corners and I can already tell that will just drive me insane when I don't get it right.

I was thinking either this:

http://www.karvt.com/products/ipad-2-new-ipad-ipad-4-wooden-skins

Or something like this:

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/spigen-sgp-ipad-3-3g-wifi-skin-guard-series.html

Now the Karvt is real wood and apparently a bitch to take off on top of adding a fair bit of thickness. The Spigen ones are probably less of a hassle but I'm a sucker for wooden poo poo so I lean towards the Karvt.

The iPad will be moving between a folio case and a regular smart cover which is why I want to go the skin route, as it seems like it'd work with both. Does anyone use anything similar?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Tell your friend to hit the innocent people with his nightstick, not his iPad.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

FlashBangBob posted:

This is happening to me too. This is something on Apple's side and is affecting only iPads.

You can find and update through the purchased page, though. Which, for me, I'm pretty sure never worked before this bug.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sieg posted:

And what exactly is he doing with his iPad as a police officer that requires a screen protector?

I think he was just pointing out the absurdity of what you said. Because it made no sense.

I take it all back and feel like a complete idiot. I thought we were talking about the iPhone. I totally agree that an iPad screen protector isn't really worth it especially if you have a Smart Cover/case.

Again, sorry

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
FWIW iPhone screen protectors are about as worthless as iPad ones.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Don't listen to these idiots. If you buy a decent screen protector (not matte, not anti-glare,) from a fairly reputable company, (or even get one free with say, a Switcheasy Case) they are functionally invisible and you do not suffer any screen ugliness whatsoever.

I'm not sure what screen protector raped some of these guys' mothers, but clearly it's left scars.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me... For the paste few days, about twice a day, and especially on SomethingAwful, just clicking on the link for, say, the next page of a thread will result in my browser being redirected to scummy sites like a 'local slags'. I googled the problem, and it seems quite common, but no one h come up with a solution yet. Apparently this happens on both the ipad and the iPhone, and on chrome or safari. Apple are apparently sticking their fingers in their ears and denying that this is even possible, so no help from them.

Luckily I don't have kids who use the ipad or anything like that, but still, its not a great new feature. Any tips?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Protocol7 posted:

At the very least, I want a skin that goes on the back. I don't have the patience for something like the iCarbons, since you'd have to use a blowdryer to form the corners and I can already tell that will just drive me insane when I don't get it right.

I was thinking either this:

http://www.karvt.com/products/ipad-2-new-ipad-ipad-4-wooden-skins

Or something like this:

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/spigen-sgp-ipad-3-3g-wifi-skin-guard-series.html

Now the Karvt is real wood and apparently a bitch to take off on top of adding a fair bit of thickness. The Spigen ones are probably less of a hassle but I'm a sucker for wooden poo poo so I lean towards the Karvt.

The iPad will be moving between a folio case and a regular smart cover which is why I want to go the skin route, as it seems like it'd work with both. Does anyone use anything similar?

I have a carbon fiber back skin on my The New iPad (3rd gen) and it's pretty nice. The one downside is that it's more slick than the metal so it can slip out of your hand easier. I have no problems using it with a Smart Cover at all.

As far as screen protectors go, Spigen makes some of the best. You definitely can't go wrong with one of theirs.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

The Perfect Element posted:

I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me... For the paste few days, about twice a day, and especially on SomethingAwful, just clicking on the link for, say, the next page of a thread will result in my browser being redirected to scummy sites like a 'local slags'. I googled the problem, and it seems quite common, but no one h come up with a solution yet. Apparently this happens on both the ipad and the iPhone, and on chrome or safari. Apple are apparently sticking their fingers in their ears and denying that this is even possible, so no help from them.

Luckily I don't have kids who use the ipad or anything like that, but still, its not a great new feature. Any tips?

Have you tried them on different wifi networks?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My wild guess would be a DNS hijack of some sort, so yeah try on different networks, and/or manually set a known good DNS in network settings perhaps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

On SA, at least, there's been some ads that do this. Complain here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449562&pagenumber=12#lastpost

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the helpful info in the OP! But I've run into a snag. I'm torn between buying an iPad 4, and an iPad Mini. We want something that we can travel with (to navigate maps, read eBooks, that sort of thing), do casual web browsing at home, and do some app development. Assuming that these are the primary uses, am I better off getting an iPad 4 or iPad Mini? And what's the bare minimum amount of space we should settle for?

Edit: Thanks for the info, guys. :)

melon cat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 1, 2013

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
A 32gb or higher Mini is what you need if you'll be travelling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

frogg posted:

A 32gb or higher Mini is what you need if you'll be travelling.

Only if you're going to be downloading multi-hundred megabyte books, magazines, and movies. You're unlikely to fill up the space with just apps and games before getting bored with those apps and games and deleting them.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I could've used a 32GB iPad on my last trip. 16GB runs out VERY quickly if you have games, music, magazines, photos, and maps - you can forget about syncing video. I had to use a Kingston Wi-Drive to watch movies.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Wall Street Journal says next iPad Mini will indeed have a retina display. Google, with the retina Nexus 7, pretty much forced their hand on it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

Google, with the retina Nexus 7, pretty much forced their hand on it.

I don't buy this. These things take way too long to develop. If they are coming out with a retina Mini, it had to be the plan since way before the new Nexus was announced.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm sure they planned on retina, however they may have considered non-retina for reasons I'm not sure of.

I'm also sure that Apple knew the Nexus 7 was coming out with Retina long before it was announced. When Apple gets wind of that they know for sure that 2nd Gen iPad Mini without Retina would be a bust.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apple seems to set production designs at least 6 months out. It's more likely that, as Diabolik900 stated, Google figured Retina would be the big upgrade the Gen 2 Mini would receive and moved to beat Apple to release.

I'm more interested in this: can a Lightning connector support USB3.0? I'd really love, more than anything else, to see transfer speeds increase over USB 2.0 but I know they'd have to have a new USB3 adapter on one end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Apple seems to set production designs at least 6 months out. It's more likely that, as Diabolik900 stated, Google figured Retina would be the big upgrade the Gen 2 Mini would receive and moved to beat Apple to release.

I'm more interested in this: can a Lightning connector support USB3.0? I'd really love, more than anything else, to see transfer speeds increase over USB 2.0 but I know they'd have to have a new USB3 adapter on one end.
I don't think there's any fundamental reason it can't. Remember that it has a chip in it to control everything, though there might not be any devices that will accept 3.0 yet.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think iOS devices are even maxing out USB 2.0's transfer speeds yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think there's any fundamental reason it can't. Remember that it has a chip in it to control everything, though there might not be any devices that will accept 3.0 yet.
Yeah the way they presented it, the Lighting connector itself is protocol agnostic so theoretically they can do USB 3.0 or whatever else through it. Whether they actually bother is another story, partially cause the speed of the flash on board, but also the increasing speed of wifi technologies.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think iOS devices are even maxing out USB 2.0's transfer speeds yet.

Not sure about that. USB 2.0's 480Mbps is theoretical – like in a lab, with the wind behind it, on a good day when everything is playing nice, so I'm pretty sure it's being maxed out. Get a decent USB3 pen and a decent USB2 one and you'll see what I mean.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What's Apple's policy on Lightning cables? The one that came with my 5th gen iPod touch has been on the fritz in recent weeks, despite no apparent damage. My laptop (Windows 8) won't recognize it, and it only charges the iPod when plugged in one way and not the other (Lightning end, not USB end). I have to use my iPad charger and cable to charge my iPod as a result.

This was bought less than a year ago. If I bring the cable to the Apple Store, will they give me a replacement?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yup, they're pretty lenient about replacing cables. The cable itself even has a 1 year warranty.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hypersleep posted:

This was bought less than a year ago. If I bring the cable to the Apple Store, will they give me a replacement?
Probably.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
Hey guys. So my iPad that I got in late april was stolen last night. Long story short out house got burgled.

Obviously I have the find my iPhone/iPad app set to notify me if it connects to wifi but it looks like kids the burglary and probably already wiped it (I didn't set a password on it, it never left my home)

Any other options that I have? I googled about looking into if Apple could do anything with the serial number but couldn't find anything promising.

Thanks folks.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

rikatix posted:

Hey guys. So my iPad that I got in late april was stolen last night. Long story short out house got burgled.

Obviously I have the find my iPhone/iPad app set to notify me if it connects to wifi but it looks like kids the burglary and probably already wiped it (I didn't set a password on it, it never left my home)

Any other options that I have? I googled about looking into if Apple could do anything with the serial number but couldn't find anything promising.

Thanks folks.

If the device does not show up on Find My iPhone, you are pretty much done, especially if it is only an Wifi only device.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

rikatix posted:

Thanks folks.

Apple doesn't do anything about lost phones/iPads, they'll just send you to your local PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
That's the impression I got. Ok thanks guys.