Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OhFunny posted:

I regarded the iOS store as superior to Google Play prior to iOS 11, but oh man has 11 flipped that view.

Before I got this iPad my iOS was an iPod touch running iOS 6. To put an app on it, say Spotify, I couldn't just go to the appstore and install it. If you'd try to do that it would give an error saying "your device isn't compatible with this app" so I would have to go to iTunes to purchase Spotify that way the appstore would go "your device isn't compatible with this app would you like to download the most recent version that is?"

If I'm on my Android phone and I go to Play and search for an app that isn't available either because of region or device incompatibility it won't show up in the search. I had to give up on trying to find apps for the iPod at some point in 2013 because it seemed like everything was incompatible.

The Appstore is just designed to hate the users every chance it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you have any recommendations? I’ve looked at Pigment, but I kind of balk at the $9.99/mo ($59/year) price.

I almost feel bad in admitting now that I use Pigment.

I was also put off by the price, so much so that after agreeing to the trial I cancelled without delay after "why would I do that" set in.

However it lets you continue with the trial honestly and for what its offering me I am going to try and find some way to justify it. I am having sleeping issues and my job is rather stressful, I have found the ability to zone out and just colour things in is providing a benefit that may just be worth the cost.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

insidius posted:

I almost feel bad in admitting now that I use Pigment.

I was also put off by the price, so much so that after agreeing to the trial I cancelled without delay after "why would I do that" set in.

However it lets you continue with the trial honestly and for what its offering me I am going to try and find some way to justify it. I am having sleeping issues and my job is rather stressful, I have found the ability to zone out and just colour things in is providing a benefit that may just be worth the cost.

Complete side note, as a developer: it ain’t free to make that poo poo. $5/mo seems like a fair price if you’re getting >1 hour of enjoyment per month.

I get that people can be averse to paying in a world where there’s a lot of free apps. I just try to keep in mind what that value is relative to what a lot of software used to cost.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got Pigment after I bought my Pro + Pencil and it's a nice app. My kid accidentally signed us up for that monthly term, which I promptly canceled, but you can download all the available coloring pages for permanent use while you're subscribed, so it's not like I didn't get anything out of it.

Len posted:

Before I got this iPad my iOS was an iPod touch running iOS 6. To put an app on it, say Spotify, I couldn't just go to the appstore and install it. If you'd try to do that it would give an error saying "your device isn't compatible with this app" so I would have to go to iTunes to purchase Spotify that way the appstore would go "your device isn't compatible with this app would you like to download the most recent version that is?"

If I'm on my Android phone and I go to Play and search for an app that isn't available either because of region or device incompatibility it won't show up in the search. I had to give up on trying to find apps for the iPod at some point in 2013 because it seemed like everything was incompatible.

The Appstore is just designed to hate the users every chance it gets.

That's not entirely Apple though. Because OS updates are adopted much faster on iOS than Android, Developers are more likely to require later versions. So on the Google Play store, Spotify has to make sure their app supports more Android versions. I guess that's good if you have an ancient phone, but it makes for a more shoddily built app. Apple probably encourages this to a degree because they'd rather apps run smoothly on supported hardware.

The switch to 64 bit in iOS 11 stung though. There were a surprisingly large number of apps I still enjoyed that didn't make the cut. drat you Dungeon Raid!

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 13, 2018

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Dick Nipples posted:

Complete side note, as a developer: it ain’t free to make that poo poo. $5/mo seems like a fair price if you’re getting >1 hour of enjoyment per month.

I get that people can be averse to paying in a world where there’s a lot of free apps. I just try to keep in mind what that value is relative to what a lot of software used to cost.

Oh of course, I am totally with you, it probably helps I spend a lot of my time working with developers which really drives that home.

More than anything lately it is "subscription fatigue" more so than the actual cost.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it still under warranty and is the crack such that it can't be blamed on a drop or impact?

There was a leaked repair doc that said Apple should repair hairline cracks that showed no indication of a drop or impact. I think the hardware tolerances are such that any factory imperfections can cause spontaneous cracks.

Yeah its still under warranty. I'll take it in and see. Thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

insidius posted:

Oh of course, I am totally with you, it probably helps I spend a lot of my time working with developers which really drives that home.

More than anything lately it is "subscription fatigue" more so than the actual cost.

100% agree on subscription fatigue.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

funkymonks posted:

Yeah its still under warranty. I'll take it in and see. Thanks!

Here's a link to the repair document:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/01/leaked-apple-document-iphone-repairs/

It says iPhone, but I would think iPads are the same. It's definitely worth a shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had a Macbook Air screen repaired for free under that provision, and it wasn't even legit. The Genius just thought my story of my cat destroying it was funny and wrote it as a warranty-covered crack.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

Automatic updates have been a crap shoot for a while in my experience. They've been a more consistent on my iPhone but with the iPad I think the initial release of iOS 10 is the last I remember it actually working.
I’ve noticed it with my iPad mini since 11 too and had the update badge get up to like 50+ before trying to just update apps manually. I think the issue (when it’s gotten stuck for me at least) was that there were some iPhone only apps (or something that wouldn’t run on my iPad), and when trying to update them manually it just complained about that and stopped. Course not sure why they were on there in the first place, but I’m guessing auto downloads is buggy and is/was getting stuff regardless of compatibility.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
So I picked up the 12.9 along with a Smart Keyboard. I am in love, this is how it should always have been. It’s basically a second, powerful machine that I can tote around, draw on, read on, etc.

This is one of the rare few times that I have purchased something and I have absolutely no regret what so ever. I am. That impressed. I do not find it at all heavy or unwieldy to hold and in fact I am finding that I am more comfortable with this than I ever was with any of the smaller models. I found they were just heavy enough that I did not always want to hold them up, but in any other position it felt too far away to still enjoy.

Also for a first, I actually am posting from an iPad which is basically something that I have never done.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Regarding coloring Apps, I used Paper for a bit. It is free so you have more basic tools control / color selection, but it does allow you to import your own blank coloring pages from your Photos library / camera. 12.9” iPad has become my primary device for basically everything internet related that isn’t video gaming.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What is the best photo editing app? Affinity Pro? Assume procreate is still best for drawing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beergod posted:

What is the best photo editing app? Affinity Pro? Assume procreate is still best for drawing.

I haven’t tried it on the iPad, but it’s the best one I’ve used on macOS.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How do you bring up the onscreen keyboard if you have a bluetooth one connected? I started using a magic keyboard with my iPad but it turns on randomly in my bag and it's a pain to manually disconnect it every time.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

beergod posted:

Affinity loving owns and is worth whatever they charge for it now. Probably twice that, too.

I rarely spend time retouching photos because I just post stuff straight out of camera but I've used the photo developing functions in Affinity and will gladly spend more time processing images. It's just that good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do VSCO have Affinity presets ?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s killing me waiting for Affinity’s Lightroom alternative. I neeeeed it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Affinity seems pretty good. I’ve only used it a few times.

You really want to have a cheat handy for finding some of those settings and buttons.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Krispy Wafer posted:

Affinity seems pretty good. I’ve only used it a few times.

You really want to have a cheat handy for finding some of those settings and buttons.

There's a button that persists throughout the interface that does exactly this.
Also, it's definitely worth watching all the tutorials to help get your head around what's on offer – especially if you're making the jump from Photoshop on a PC/Mac.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Virtue posted:

How do you bring up the onscreen keyboard if you have a bluetooth one connected? I started using a magic keyboard with my iPad but it turns on randomly in my bag and it's a pain to manually disconnect it every time.
On the old Apple keyboard I have the eject button toggles the on screen keyboard...not sure if a keyboard doesn’t have eject, F12 or whatever last F-key?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

Ok I figured it out. Long press on the v in the bottom right corner brings up the on screen keyboard.

japtor posted:

On the old Apple keyboard I have the eject button toggles the on screen keyboard...not sure if a keyboard doesn’t have eject, F12 or whatever last F-key?

Thanks but I was trying to bring it up without using the physical keyboard.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm having what may be the stupidest issue ever. I use the clock app on both my iPhone and my iPad and set the alarms for different things. This is working fine on my iPhone. On my iPad, about 75% of the time when I turn the alarm off (regardless of whether I hit the off or snooze button), instead of turning off it goes into a rapidly pulsing alarm sound. The only way to make it stop is to completely power the iPad off and back on.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple just introduced new cheap 9.7” iPad with Apple Pencil support

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Loss leading to sell their stock of failed accessory, a bold strategy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not a Children posted:

What failed accessory? The Pencil is hands down the best stylus I've used.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Proteus Jones posted:

What failed accessory? The Pencil is hands down the best stylus I've used.

The pencil is good. Charging it is extremely fail though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Not a Children posted:

I'm guessing you don't do any digital art or note taking?

The Apple Pencil is godlike in GoodNotes for all manner of note taking. I diary and take notes using this combination often.

If you're a good digital artist then Procreate is ridiculously good for tablet app. If instead you like to do digital art or retouch photos on your Mac through Photoshop or Lightroom, Astropad is on par with the most full-featured Wacom tablets out there, with the kicker being that the Wacom Cintiq is like twice as expensive as an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil combo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you're a bad artist Procreate is ridiculously good for tablet app.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
How is this thing only $329?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The third party crayon is nice. Cheaper pencil.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So this pretty much guarantees the next Pro's will have FaceID since they'll need something cool to differentiate themselves. Maybe thinner bezels too.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Krispy Wafer posted:

So this pretty much guarantees the next Pro's will have FaceID since they'll need something cool to differentiate themselves. Maybe thinner bezels too.

They'll narrow the bezel and use the extra screen space to put notches on all 4 sides.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Samara posted:

How is this thing only $329?

It's the same price as the previous version

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now I just need Best Buy to clearance the current cheap iPad so I can replace my iPad Air.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Endless Mike posted:

Now I just need Best Buy to clearance the current cheap iPad so I can replace my iPad Air.

The current "iPad" is thicker and has a worse screen than the iPad Air 2, just FYI.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Once you got 12.9 pro you don't go back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

The current "iPad" is thicker and has a worse screen than the iPad Air 2, just FYI.

I have an iPad Air 1 which presumably won't be getting any updates past iOS 11 (never mind no TouchID), so it's due for replacement. I wouldn't replace an Air 2. It's entirely just kitchen duty at this point, so the screen isn't super vital, and the cheaper the better.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Endless Mike posted:

I have an iPad Air 1 which presumably won't be getting any updates past iOS 11 (never mind no TouchID), so it's due for replacement. I wouldn't replace an Air 2. It's entirely just kitchen duty at this point, so the screen isn't super vital, and the cheaper the better.

My parents have the iPad in question and the screen is absolutely fine. People bitch bout it because there's a small gap on the sides from a certain angle but when I'm on parental tech support and walking them through stuff it's perfectly fine. My 10.5 pros screen is better but it's really not a big deal. If you get a good price on it, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy has had them for $250 every few weeks