Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Of course, if they did THAT to the iPad... I have to imagine a similar scaling back in size and weight may come for the Mini as well.

A lot of the size reduction in the iPad 5 looks like it will come from giving it a more iPhone-like bezel (smaller on the sides than on the top and bottom). The Mini already has that. I'm sure it will get thinner and lighter over time, but I wouldn't expect the Mini to get shrunk as dramatically as the full-size version this year, especially if it goes retina (which is still a big if).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have an iPad 3, but all I really use it for now is comic reading, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to upgrade until they no longer give OS updates (so I guess iPad 6 will be my next one!).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I have an iPad 3, but all I really use it for now is comic reading, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to upgrade until they no longer give OS updates (so I guess iPad 6 will be my next one!).

I'm still using my OG ipad as a comic reader and it works perfectly fine (not so much with PDFs to tell the truth), so that's a lot of processing power you're not using. Definitely no need to upgrade if that's all you use it for!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What does everyone think of the chances of the new iPad having the fingerprint sensor?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

100%

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Agreed.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I just hope both iPads get it. I figure they will.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nihiliste posted:

I thought they would be doing iPads as well today. Have their been rumors for a later launch?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought they would be doing iPads as well today. Have their been rumors for a later launch?
October.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Yep, that's what I've heard. It would make sense, since that's the way things went last year.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Nihiliste posted:

The iPhone 5C doesn't have the fingerprint sensor so there could be a chance the mini doesn't if it remains the budget iPad

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Pretty pleased that IOS 7 supports iPad 2. I expected them to drop support for the old thing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Considering that it's a) almost identical to the iPad mini spec-wise, and b) still sold, dropping support was never going to happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

The iPhone 5C doesn't have the fingerprint sensor so there could be a chance the mini doesn't if it remains the budget iPad

I think the iPad 2 is the budget iPad.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think the iPad 2 is the budget iPad.

It is. Apple's position is that the Mini is just a different version of the iPad, even if it does have a slower processor. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini overtakes the 9.7-inch iPad in sales, one day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Nihiliste posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini overtakes the 9.7-inch iPad in sales, one day.

I'd be astonished if this weren't already the case, at least for the last year. Pretty soon it'll be true cumulatively, I imagine.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I'd be astonished if this weren't already the case, at least for the last year. Pretty soon it'll be true cumulatively, I imagine.

Good point. It's hard to say - Apple doesn't provide unit breakdowns in its quarterly results. Heck, they've even stopped splitting Mac numbers into "desktop" and "portable" categories.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nihiliste posted:

Good point. It's hard to say - Apple doesn't provide unit breakdowns in its quarterly results. Heck, they've even stopped splitting Mac numbers into "desktop" and "portable" categories.
Yeah I'm guessing it already happened, I remember a note about lowered ASP and did a quick skim of the first quarterly report after the mini came out:

quote:

The year-over-year growth rate of iPad unit sales was higher than the growth rate of iPad net sales during the first quarter of 2013 due to a reduction in average selling prices as a result of a shift in product mix toward lower-priced iPad models, including iPad mini.
Unless there was a boom in iPad 2 sales the iPad mini was the only real driver there.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The iPad mini is selling more simply because its cheaper, not because people were waiting for an iPad with a smaller screen, which is why I think releasing that iPhone 5c at $549 is really dumb, if they wanted to capture another market it really should have been $449 tops but I guess Apple knows better than me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Hefe posted:

The iPad mini is selling more simply because its cheaper, not because people were waiting for an iPad with a smaller screen, which is why I think releasing that iPhone 5c at $549 is really dumb, if they wanted to capture another market it really should have been $449 tops but I guess Apple knows better than me.

More likely it's that their customers know less than you.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
iPad 2's still sell a shitload. An extra $100 saved is big for a lot of people and lots don't want a smaller size.

Also what's the unlocked prices for the new phones?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

iPad 2's still sell a shitload. An extra $100 saved is big for a lot of people and lots don't want a smaller size.

Also what's the unlocked prices for the new phones?

Better for the iPhone thread, but 5C is $549 16GB and 5S is $649 16GB.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Is there anything I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to downgrade my (nonjailbroken) iPad from iOS 7 to iOS 6 in the future if I choose to? I have an iPad 2, and the reports I'm hearing of iOS 7 performance on it aren't particularly encouraging, but I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade and see for myself if I know I can switch back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fordan posted:

Is there anything I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to downgrade my (nonjailbroken) iPad from iOS 7 to iOS 6 in the future if I choose to? I have an iPad 2, and the reports I'm hearing of iOS 7 performance on it aren't particularly encouraging, but I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade and see for myself if I know I can switch back.

Basically, you just have to do it before Wednesday, because once it's officially released Apple will stop signing the software and you won't be able to go back.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

fordan posted:

If you try iOS 7 on your iPad 2 let us know how it runs, I'm wondering if I should update my moms iPad to that.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I would assume you could just do a local backup, make a copy of the IPSW, and restore from that if need be. When choosing to restore, you just need to Control-click (or is it Alt-click?) on the appropriate Restore option.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Diabolik900 posted:

Basically, you just have to do it before Wednesday, because once it's officially released Apple will stop signing the software and you won't be able to go back.

My iPad (and iPhone 5 for that matter) are running iOS 6 now; I'm perfectly ok waiting until Wednesday to get it so I don't have to deal with finding Dev versions of iTunes for my Mac to keep syncing with it. I just wasn't sure what I needed to download now to make sure I had a signed copy of iOS 6.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

fordan posted:

My iPad (and iPhone 5 for that matter) are running iOS 6 now; I'm perfectly ok waiting until Wednesday to get it so I don't have to deal with finding Dev versions of iTunes for my Mac to keep syncing with it. I just wasn't sure what I needed to download now to make sure I had a signed copy of iOS 6.

No no, what Diabolik is saying is that after Wednesday, you will not be able to go back to iOS 6. Whenever you do a firmware upgrade, iTunes contacts Apple to sign the firmware being installed. When a new firmware version comes out, Apple stops signing the older firmware versions.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nihiliste posted:

I would assume you could just do a local backup, make a copy of the IPSW, and restore from that if need be. When choosing to restore, you just need to Control-click (or is it Alt-click?) on the appropriate Restore option.

Even with the IPSW in hand, basically the install has to be "blessed" by Apple's servers and with very few exceptions, they only do so for the most recent OS version.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Even with the IPSW in hand, basically the install has to be "blessed" by Apple's servers and with very few exceptions, they only do so for the most recent OS version.

Ah, boo. I've never had to restore to an old version of iOS.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Smoot posted:

No no, what Diabolik is saying is that after Wednesday, you will not be able to go back to iOS 6. Whenever you do a firmware upgrade, iTunes contacts Apple to sign the firmware being installed. When a new firmware version comes out, Apple stops signing the older firmware versions.

I thought something called TinyUmbrella could do this, as long as you set it up before Apple stops signing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm running iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I haven't noticed any big hit in performance at all. Maybe a few quirks here and there but there's no way I'd want to go back to iOS 6 for any reason.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

I thought something called TinyUmbrella could do this, as long as you set it up before Apple stops signing?

For older devices (iPhone 4 and older), yes. It no longer works for newer devices, and a new method for downgrading has not yet been discovered/developed. Saurik summarizes here:

http://cydia.saurik.com/upgrading/shsh.html

and wrote a (very) detailed explanation here:

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Deadpool posted:

I'm running iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I haven't noticed any big hit in performance at all. Maybe a few quirks here and there but there's no way I'd want to go back to iOS 6 for any reason.

iPad mini here. Same sentiment as well...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Smoot posted:

For older devices (iPhone 4 and older), yes. It no longer works for newer devices, and a new method for downgrading has not yet been discovered/developed. Saurik summarizes here:

http://cydia.saurik.com/upgrading/shsh.html

and wrote a (very) detailed explanation here:

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

I've only ever jailbroken old phones--still have a jailbroken iPhone 1st Gen, so I never really worried about that, just knew what I heard others say, so thanks for the clarification!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deadpool posted:

I put it on my iPad 3, and noticed just a bit of stuttering but nothing big (except for when you go to set a wallpaper, which is painful).

But I removed it, because I realized it didn't really add anything to my iPad (the way I use it), while adding quite a few small annoyances. Great on my phone, can't see much benefit on my iPad.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I put it on my iPad 3, and noticed just a bit of stuttering but nothing big (except for when you go to set a wallpaper, which is painful).

But I removed it, because I realized it didn't really add anything to my iPad (the way I use it), while adding quite a few small annoyances. Great on my phone, can't see much benefit on my iPad.

I kind of feel the same way. I love it on my phone, but it feels like more of a lateral move on my iPad 3. I'm gonna keep it on there because I know I'll have to put it on there sooner or later, but I'm not blown away.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I just put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I instantly regret it, visually speaking. A lot of the animations (switching out of apps, multitasking, etc) are very choppy. It just doesn't feel fluid (which is one of the best parts about using iOS). Reminds me of using an underpowered Android tablet.

And those icons, wow. Personal preference, probably wrong thread, I know, but they aren't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Give it a day. The animations seem to smooth out.