Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a quick question - I have a prepaid Verizon iPad 2, and want to jump to a prepaid Verizon iPad 4. Has anyone here done a similar transition? How difficult is it to move the data plan over? (I am probably going to wait until they release a fifth gen ipad, then I will get a iPad 4 for maybe $100 less.) Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was told that if you talk to support, the most important thing is to tell them you are prepaid and not a postpaid customer.

Also, I have an existing basic phone postpaid account with Verizon. Is there any benefit to getting a 4G ipad that is postpaid rather than prepaid?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Arrowsmith posted:

For your first question, I can't imagine it's any more difficult than a SIM swap. I got a Verizon iPad 3 and just swapped in the SIM from my AT&T iPad 2 and it worked flawlessly.

The Verizon iPad 2 has no SIM...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The Verizon iPad 2 has no SIM slot. The ATT versions do, the Verizon 3 and 4s do, but the Verizon iPad 2 has no SIM.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just wanted to check on is again- has anyone had issues transferring a prepaid Verizon plan from an iPad 2 (with no SIM card!) to a new iPad Air?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 10, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

I had no trouble going from my Verizon iPad 3 to a Verizon Air, and I never bothered to swap the SIM card. You should be able to just log in with your existing Verizon account on the Air and be good to go.

Well that's cool, you just used the email and password?

I also have a post-paid Verizon cellphone, I think I could cancel the prepaid plan and just use my post-paid Verizon plan to pay for the cellular data, I think it's the same each month with no contract. I'll have to touch base with the genius bar people on this. There must have been people jumping from iPad 2 to Airs.

I have to also say, I am amazed at how well my iPad 2 has been doing. It's going on two years old and the battery still holds a charge extremely well.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 10, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

Yep. Settings > Cellular Data > View Account should give you an option to log in with an existing account. I logged in with the same account I was using on my 3 and had no issues at all. This was after I'd already reset my 3 to sell it, though, so I'm not sure if there would be a problem with having the account active on two devices at once.

Edit- Might be worth adding that this is a prepaid account that I originally transferred from my iPad 2 to my iPad 3 in the exact same way.

Did you have to do some "reprovision" stuff? (I think that might have only been if you moved a prepaid iPad 2 account to a replacement iPad 2.

The lady at Verizon made it sound like they were making it easier to do all this account stuff on the tablet. I hope they aren't going to kibosh the telephone support, because they were helpful. (I would assume they would need to maintain some phone support in case someone had their tablet stolen and needed to shut down the account.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is why I never am the first in line for any new products, no matter what company makes them.

I don't think it's so much that Apple is using it's paying customers as beta testers (at least not for the hardware), it's just that there are so many variables in the manufacturing process.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

Nope, the process for me was exactly what I described both going from the 2 to the 3, and from the 3 to the Air. Coincidentally, switching over to T-mobile from a Verizon Air was just as easy. I picked up a T-mobile SIM for the free 200mb of data, and I was able to set up the new account 100% on the iPad. Switching back to the Verizon SIM just works as well. Really happy that Apple decided to move to just one cellular model.

Sounds like I am worrying way too much about this; thanks for the information Paradoxish.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Tacorleone posted:

Edit: aaaaand just experienced my first crash to Apple logo, like a soft reset. Cool. Hadn't seen it on ios7, just checked and it already has iOS 7.03, weird

I was using it in the Apple store this weekend and it crashed on me there, too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Really the cellular connection is half of the magic.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have an iPad 2 (3G, 32gb). Battery still amazingly good after about three years.

Do you think the Air 2 is a worthwhile "jump" from the iPad 2? (Not a fake post - people used to tell me about how long and how well Apple stuff works, and it's true.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

blugu64 posted:

Does the best buy trade in deal take OG iPad 1's? (Even at a reduced rate) I've got one kicking around I need to get rid of.

I plan to turn my 2 into a picture frame.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

I guess the pawn act involves cross checking sellers with a database and I wouldn't care about that either, you know?

I've got to admit, the fingerprint thing plus Best Buy does not give me warm-fuzzy feelings at all.

Plus, it's Best Buy. Full stop.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^ Hey Xeno, that was my upgrade path too!

OK, I got an iPad Air 2 64GB with cellular. First impression - this is impossibly small/light. I was absolutely blown away. My old iPad 2 weighs at least twice as much, is physically bigger with a smaller screen.

My last iPad utilized Verizon prepaid - $30 for 2GB a month which I later stepped down to $20 for 1GB a month. I'm a bit smitten by T-Mobile's offerings.

I'm assuming that the free 200MB plan acts as a sort of "teaser", like the 20 hours free AOL that turned people into junkies. You can blow through that pretty drat fast at 4G. That and it's also two big middle fingers to AT&T and Verizon, which I really have no issue with them doing. I also really like the whole "once you hit your limit we'll give you lower speeds" instead of just shutting you off. Are the lowered speeds just 3G or even lower like dial-up speeds?

Has anyone here set up the plans with T-Mobile? Is it just setting up an e-mail address, password, name and billing address, and away you go? How has it been working?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Dutch have you ever hit the limit and gone down to the throttled speed?

And yeah, that's a special offer, unfortunately. But they do offer several different "flavors" like standard month to month, free 200MB, "data packs", you name it. I don't think any other carriers offer those different options to suit different users' needs.

The free data is particularly brilliant and daring, and it will probably end up making them money in the long run.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 5, 2014

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I still have a stout little iPad 2 and its chugging along. Should I go with an iPad Air 2, smaller iPad Pro, or wait for an iPad Air 3?

Seriously though this 2 just won't die...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey my iPad 2 will support iOS10!

So I guess I can keep using it instead of buying an Air 2 or a Pro...

:confuoot:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Oh no!

Now I can spend several hundred dollars on a new iPad! :confuoot:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, it's almost always a better value to buy a used iPad from Apple and sell your broken on on Ebay as is. People buy them up and fix them, and resell them, so for a few dollars more you can get a sort of new iPad with a new battery and everything.

You can buy used ones from Apple? Do you mean refurbished units?

Also can you take the kid to those blood plasma clinics?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think it's about time to retire my iPad 2 and switch to a newer version. I could probably get a couple more years out of it but it's getting a bit sluggish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I might go with the 128GB WiFi new iPad to replace my iPad 2.