Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh god MacRumours, why must you tease me so?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/size-comparison-of-a-12-9-inch-ipad-with-smaller-ipad-models-and-13-inch-macbook-air/

I'd sell my iPad 3 and buy a 12.9 inch iPad in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Protocol7 posted:

I think it's unlikely. There's a reason Apple is sticking to 1024x768 effective resolution nowadays. They don't want to go fragment the ecosystem like Android.

Yeah, it's a pipe dream, but such a beautiful dream... :allears:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

El Hefe posted:

Such an iPad would be cool but only if it didn't weight a single gram more than the current iPad, the 4 is already quite heavy in my opinion.

The weight is pretty much irrelevant to me. I only use my iPad 3 on my desk, lap, balanced against my chest in bed, or holding it on the arm of the couch. (also almost exclusively in landscape mode with my Smart Cover a stand) I'd only care about weight if it somehow got into "awkward to carry in a bag" weights like a big laptop, which would be pretty unlikely.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Is it even really possible to get a new phone without having to pay a $30-50 data contract? I kind of figured they'd just about transitioned most people onto data contracts by now.

You just buy a burner and use the iPod Touch as a wifi-only iPhone. They're fantastic little devices, slimmer and nicer than the iPhone at a fraction of the price. $209 for the 16gb, $279 for the 32gb.

Personally I'm making the switch to the iPhone 5s because my new job increased my income enough that I can justify the purchase, but for someone on a tight budget iPod Touch plus a cheap flip phone is an excellent option.

The iPad Mini isn't really a competitor to the Touch any more than the full sized iPad was. Neither device is pocketable unless you wear comically huge jorts or something.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Wario In Real Life posted:

The Mini fills the "media consumption device parents buy for their tweens" role.

The current iPod Touch is a strange beast indeed. I'm honestly curious to see sales numbers on it just because it's such an interesting case. When the new ones were first announced I was excited to purchase one as a Christmas gift for my GF but the price tag was pretty steep and she just ended up getting her own iPhone a few months later anyway.

Entirely anecdotal, but if the kids my nieces and nephew associate with are any indication the iPod Touch blows the iPad Mini away in that category. I've never seen an iPad Mini in the wild, but every kid under 16 seems to have an iPod Touch.

Could just be that the Mini is newer and hasn't had enough time to replace old devices, I see a lot more 4th gen iPods than 5th gen ones.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

I pay $25 a month for a cheap-rear end Android phone on Virgin Mobile that I barely use and carry around a 64gb iPod Touch for a great camera, HD recording, games, and web-stuff when on WiFi.

I'm the market for the Touch. And I don't want to invest in jorts for a Mini when I have a full-sized iPad at home.

The device I wish they'd do something new with is the iPod Nano. They're really slick little devices, but $150 for a 16gb Nano is terrible value for money. Maybe if they broke the Apple rule against adding a MicroSD slot it might be somewhat better. I'd love an awesome little Apple MP3 player I can tuck into that mini-pocket for lighters in my jeans, but not at that price with only 16gb of storage.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
TouchID wasn't that huge a deal to me, but at least it would be something. I just can't justify upgrading from my iPad 3rd gen for a bit of weight reduction and a smaller bezel. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade so I could pass along my 3rd gen to family, but I think I'll hold off till the next model.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought both the Air and Mini and used them for a week and returned the Mini. It's really nice having that bigger screen. For everything else I have a smart phone. I also have Kindle and recommend it as something between the two sizes for reading.

Big tablets and small portable phones are my preference too. Unfortunately if the Android largephones and increasingly shrinking tablets are any indication we're in the minority. :sigh:

7" isn't any significantly more portable than a 10" tablet unless you wear comically oversized jorts and wedge it in your pockets. Most normal people need a bag or briefcase for both. Once you hit that point why not enjoy the extra screen real estate?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Haggins posted:

Lighter is better but I'm fine with the iPad 4 for reading books and what not. If its heavier than a 4, that might be a deal killer.

I've been wanting a bigger iPad for quite some time and judging by the tremendous weight reduction in Apple's current tablets it's likely to weigh less than my 3rd gen iPad. :swoon:

For those of us who like big tablets and small portable phones this is exciting.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Endless Mike posted:

If you take your iPad into an Apple store within 30 days you can still get AppleCare+.

Or if you live a set distance away from any Apple stores you can do it over the phone. They have 5-6 stores in Vancouver but none in the rest of the province. :argh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah VLC works fine for what I use it for. (Viewing non-mp4 videos) Kind of curious what's supposedly wrong with it?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ArcaneMan posted:

I know applecare is generally recommended for the iPhone, what's the situation like with the iPad?

Bought it for my 3rd gen iPad but I'd feel pretty safe about skipping it when I upgrade. My iPad is pretty much for around the house and I'm careful with my electronics. I'll still buy it for iPhones I carry with me everywhere.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Choadmaster posted:

Ah yes, i forgot there was even a 4 between the 3 and the Air. Damned Apple, releasing a new iPad just 5 months after I bought mine!!

I think you mean between The New iPad and the Air. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow, it was a throwaway joke. Wasn't looking to start a huge argument over what Apple called the device at the time. :psyduck:

If anybody really cares I'm sure the keynote when they announced it is still available somewhere.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Xtanstic posted:

...read comics...

If comics are important to you you'll really want the larger iPad Air 2 over the Mini. The Air display is slightly smaller than a typical comic book page. The Mini would be significantly smaller.

If the rumoured iPad Pro/Max/whatever ever comes to be it'll really shine for magazines and comic books.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Croc Monster posted:

Welp, rumor has it that the upcoming iPad anouncement will actually be a 10" iPad Pro: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/25/smaller-ipad-pro-march/

So it's basically an iPad Air with a new processor, four speakers, a plug for the smart keyboard and Pencil support?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The bigger display is really nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference for me. If they can keep the new iPad the same prices as the Air 2 it's $659 CAD for 64gb, the iPad Pro is $1049 CAD for 32gb/$1249 for 128gb. $400-$600 depending on storage is a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Doctor Zero posted:

I had my iPad 3 for years without incident. I've had my pro for since launch without incident. The glass is really strong and you don't tend to carry them in your pocket. Just get a cover and don't be stupid with it.

Even on devices you do carry in your pocket screen protectors are dumb. My iPhone 5s survived two years caseless in my pocket without a scratch, my iPad 3 still looks flawless. Unless you carry your tablet around in a bag of diamonds and chainsaws you should be just fine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tab8715 posted:

How fragile is an iPad or how do I know if I need a case? And if I do, which one because they are way too goddamn many. :smith:

Pop quiz, which of these objects is meant for throwing?

A)

B)

C)

If you answered option A, congratulations you do not need an iPad case.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

e.pilot posted:

With as cheap as flash memory is I can't believe Apple has drug 16gb along for as long as they have.

I vaguely recall someone interviewing Tim asking about it and they're convinced the storage is unnecessary cause you'll stream all your music from Apple Music, your movies from iTunes/Netflix/whatever, and mumblemumblemumble about app sizes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
lol casehavers.

Brb while I cover my beautifully engineered thousand dollar phone with a lovely $20 rubber elephant.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Taima posted:

Some of us do things like, you know, go outside with our phones, use them to play music while we jog/hike... etc...

You are probably shocked right now after reading this, and have possibly dropped your Mountain Dew or even your comic book reader. I'm sorry in advance.

They make these fantastic things called "pockets" they put into many articles of clothing nowadays. You might have heard of them, they're amazing! You can also acquire a wide variety of backpacks, bags, briefcases and more that are perfect for storing things in as you travel from place to place.

Or you know, you could keep a condom on your phone/tablet at all times because reasons.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Pencil was an opportunity missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KLRNZi4sM

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looks like they're replacing the iPad Air with an updated model. A9 processor, 9.7" size, $329 USD price tag. :stare:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Suqit posted:

Are you sure? Where are you reading this?!?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/27/new-329-2017-apple-ipad-with-a9-processor-now-shipping-arriving-march-30/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/24/new-ipad-productred-iphone-7-orders-begin/

I'm surprised it's getting no hype. A refreshed low cost iPad seems like it could be a big deal. I've been humming and hawing about replacing my 3rd gen forever cause I just couldn't justify the cost of the iPad Pro for how little I use my iPad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I really wanted the Pro, but with the Black Friday sale plus a Staples coupon the iPad was almost half the price of the 9.7" Pro. $360 CAD for the iPad vs $599 for the 9.7" Pro was just too big a gap to justify for a secondary device.

That display is really nice though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Any suggestions for a decent dock for my nightstand? I'm getting sick of picking lightning cables off the floor to plug in my iPhone and iPad every night.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My impression is that most consumers, once they have “an iPad” rarely ever upgrade. They use it for Facebook and written consumption and not much else and they’re fine with whichever model they have. I would be sure this has been what’s caused underperforming sales for the past few years.

I hung on with my 3rd Gen iPad till just this year. 99% of my use was air playing streaming sites or Twitch to my Apple TV and it worked fine for that. :shrug:

Apparently they’re developing an even cheaper even more stripped down iPad to launch in 2018. I doubt it’ll be Kindle Fire levels of cheap but it seems people would rather pay less for a tablet with a bunch of compromises.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I love my new iPad, but since this is the first one I've bought since my 3rd gen iPad it's also my first Smart Cover since the redesign and holy poo poo is it awful. The four panel one they made for the first three or so iPads was perfect, this new one is flimsy and terrible. It slips out of standing position all the time and is generally a huge disappointment.

Are there any good third party alternatives for the current iPad? (not the Pro) I don't want a full case or anything, just a glorified dust cover that wakes/sleeps and folds into a usable stand.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apparently the KHOMO ones all have backs. Sorry about that.

I picked up a Fire HD 8 with one of the generic covers with a clear plastic back and holy poo poo is it awful compared to the smart cover on my iPad. I'm amazed nobody seems able to manufacture a credible alternative.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Actually I’m really impressed with the Fire HD 8. For $80 CAD it’s a remarkably solid little tablet. It won’t replace my iPad any time soon but I have zero regrets picking one up to play around with.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't get me wrong, for the price they're incredible. It's probably a case of being comfortable with what you started on though, because I can't stand the interface.

Yeah I definitely prefer my iPad. I was looking for a cheap Android tablet to play around with since I have to help seniors with theirs at work on occasion. The Fire HD 8 is a million times better than the cheap Samsung and LG garbage I’ve seen over the years.

To steer things back on topic I found it jarring the difference in accessory quality between the two. I’m used to grumbling about the price but eventually paying for Apple stuff. It was a reminder that there’s an enormous difference between the feel of the $40 Smart Cover and the shoddy $12 knockoff from China.

I can only imagine what a horror show off brand AirPods must be.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looking for a Bluetooth keyboard to use with my 2017 iPad on the go and my PS4 at home, so not a keyboard case one. Any recommendations?

The Logitech K380 is... cheap, and also cheap. Very ugly, but wow that price sure is low.

Wouldn’t mind spending $50ish on something nicer. In a perfect world something with at least the key travel of a 2015 MBP that either wakes quickly or can have its sleep mode function disabled when I’m at home on the PS4. No numpad/trackpad/whatever.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rolo posted:

My K380 is as durable as a Nokia phone and is still on its first set of batteries.

Maybe just get the good cheap thing?

Yeah, I stopped overthinking it and just bought one. :shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rolo posted:

Nice. It’s a great product for the price. The round keys look weird at a glance but they type well and you can switch between devices easily. I use mine for my iPad, phone and PS4 and it’s seamless.

After one evening with it I’m totally sold. I had my iPad sitting on my living room table and swapped between the PS4 and iPad whenever I needed. Works beautifully.

Thanks!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ddogflex posted:

I see $4.99?

If you search from your iPhone you get a different app that’s five bucks. The iPad version is free in Canada at least, not sure about countries outside or North America.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s been a little while now and I have to say the Logitech K380 is working out beautifully. Thank you iPad thread!

It’s transformed the way I use my iPad to the point where my MBP is collecting dust and I’m seriously considering just going with an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook if I end up going back to school in September. It’s not a full computer replacement but it’s getting extremely close for my needs. (Mostly text documents, email, iMessage, various Safari things, Awful.app)

Gonna spend the next couple months looking for things that might be awkward on an iPad Pro but I’m most of the way convinced.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The moment when I first reflexively hit alt-tab on the keyboard and it worked was mind blowing stuff. :stare:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Getting increasingly annoyed with my 32gb 5th Gen so I started the process of figuring out what to replace it with. A $350 8th Gen quickly turned into a $719 Air, into a possible $939 CAD 11” Pro preorder.

Now I’m just hoping I can keep talking myself out of the jump from an 11” Pro to a $1279 12.9” Pro. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll say it again. I fuckin love my 12.9 and can’t wait for the new one. I love the size and for me it really is light.

I use it for reading in bed a lot with no issues.

Fortunately I’m in no frantic rush to buy, but I definitely see the appeal of the 12.9”.

The price bump is the barrier for me. After taxes the 12.9” clocks in at a whopping $1432.48 CAD for the base config with no accessories or AppleCare+. The 11” at $1051.68 is a somewhat easier sell.

I’ll probably wait till I can see the 12.9” with the new display in person and see if it dazzles me into making questionable financial decisions. :3: