Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

Google, with the retina Nexus 7, pretty much forced their hand on it.

I don't buy this. These things take way too long to develop. If they are coming out with a retina Mini, it had to be the plan since way before the new Nexus was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think iOS devices are even maxing out USB 2.0's transfer speeds yet.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Of course, if they did THAT to the iPad... I have to imagine a similar scaling back in size and weight may come for the Mini as well.

A lot of the size reduction in the iPad 5 looks like it will come from giving it a more iPhone-like bezel (smaller on the sides than on the top and bottom). The Mini already has that. I'm sure it will get thinner and lighter over time, but I wouldn't expect the Mini to get shrunk as dramatically as the full-size version this year, especially if it goes retina (which is still a big if).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fordan posted:

Is there anything I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to downgrade my (nonjailbroken) iPad from iOS 7 to iOS 6 in the future if I choose to? I have an iPad 2, and the reports I'm hearing of iOS 7 performance on it aren't particularly encouraging, but I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade and see for myself if I know I can switch back.

Basically, you just have to do it before Wednesday, because once it's officially released Apple will stop signing the software and you won't be able to go back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think a week out is when they usually send the invitations, or at least that's how it was last month for the iPhone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've always found the full-sized iPad to be too big to type on, but it probably depends on how you use your iPad. If you rest it on a surface and type on it like a normal keyboard, the full-size seems like it would be better. I don't think I've ever used mine that way though. The Mini seems like it would be much better for thumb typing, which is how I normally use mine.

Edit: and if you're using a bluetooth keyboard with your iPad, I imagine you must be using it in the first way I described.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I use the split keyboard all the time. It definitely helps. The only issue at that point is the weight, which the new one is expected to improve.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Turning parallax off doesn't fix the wallpaper problem though. As you said, hopefully 7.1 comes out soon and fixes some of these issues.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have an iPad 3, and don't feel any need to upgrade yet, because it still runs well enough for me. :shrug: I used to run iOS 5 on an original iPad. Now that was painful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Skam posted:

I just got an air and i have a question about newsstand items auto downloading

I want it to auto download the paper as soon as its published, according to the newsstand app it is supposed to do this (its the evening standard for reference) - i have already told it to subscribe and have had the email from itunes telling me i am subscribed

Mainly because my ipad will be connected to wifi at work and then when i get on the train i was to be able to read the paper, however if i dont load the app in the daytime then it does not seem to be downloading the most recent one

You're not killing the app from the app switcher are you? Because that will prevent it from doing the background refresh.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure the color gamut issue is only a thing because it's worse compared to other recent iOS devices, not because it's objectively bad in any way. It gets brought up because it's one of the only differences between the Air and the retina Mini, not because it's really a problem. If you can't even see it, there's no reason to really worry about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Are your small hands having trouble typing while holding the iPad? Do you know how to split the keyboard?

Touch two thumbs near the middle of the keyboard and swipe them apart. It's just as handy on the Mini.

I never knew you could do it that way. I've always held down the little keyboard button on the lower left.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Randomly my ipad and iPhone don't want to respond to some swipe gestures; like I'll opens thread in Awful and it won't let me scroll down/up, or pull to refresh or anything. This is usually solved by re-opening the same thread or closing/re opening the app, but does anyone what the cause of this is or if there's some obscure setting I have to disable/enable?

Does this happen with other apps too? Because it sounds like a known issue in Awful, but if it happens elsewhere it's probably something else.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

clockworx posted:

A looser interpretation is "Nope" to that specific date in October.

That's how I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

iOS 8.1 apparently has 3x assets: https://twitter.com/hamzasood/status/520012272274776064

iPad Pro running at 3x?

There will be 3x iPads at some point, and it very well could happen this year, but I really wouldn't read too much into this. People were unearthing 2x iPad assets before the iPad 2 even came out.