Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Good guy move. My kid has an iPad 2 and it does everything we ask of it. It irritates me it's the only device left in the house with a 30 pin connector, but that's such a minor issue I feel silly even typing it out.

I'm not going to lie. I have thought about replacing my iPad 3 with the next new one just because of the 30-pin connector. I am an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

100%

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my 5th gen iPod Touch. 32gigs holds nearly all my music and the battery lasts forever. I guess not many people have an iPhone dedicated for apps/phone calls and an iPod just for music though. But yeah I carry both every day.

Why not get a 32GB iPhone? Genuinely curious. Having both seems like a colossal waste of money.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wanted to replace my 3 with the Air, but the lack of Touch ID nixed that idea. Sucks because I'd love to move off the 30-pin connector for my 2 devices. Maybe next year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool. Enjoy your new iPad.

It was a deal-breaker for me though. I think it's extremely useful. I hate typing my PIN in every time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My iPad 4 had a wake-lock or something today, which I've never encountered before in iOS. I had it in my bag all day, went to use it at ~5 PM and the thing was warm and had burned it's battery down 70%. It shouldn't have had any apps backgrounded either because it was freshly rebooted when I tossed it in my bag this morning.

I turned it off and will have to play around with it tonight and see if I can figure out what was going on based on the logs, but it was bizarre to say the least.

Do you use some sort of cover to it?

When I travel with mine, I stick it in a backpack as well. I use a Smart Cover, and it seems that as the bag moves around, it unlocks/locks the iPad repeatedly every time it gets jostled. I noticed my battery went down a big quicker than normal when it does this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a Smart Cover, but it's in a tablet pouch in my bag that'll keep it from opening. There's no way it could have been woken up by the Smart Cover.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on what it does tomorrow.

It doesn't open the cover, it just slides it just enough to activate the unlock.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Haven't smart covers always been fairly lovely? I remember people complaining about them being cheap back when they were first released.

Smart Covers have always been great for me. Smart Cases, on the other hand, have been poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

$125 regularly. $200 is the minimum for this promotion, which ends on the 9th. Check all models here: http://targettradeinprogram.com/search/1/cat/ipads/

For my 64gb iPad 3 wifi, the Amazon trade-in is much better. Target is offering $205 and Amazon is offering $285 if it's in Like New condition, $256 if it's Good.

e: I guess the program benefits everyone with an iPad 1 the most since there's that $200 minimum.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm debating upgrading my 3 to an air. I'm really not a huge fan of not having the touch ID stuff, but the $75 apple credit is tempting me.

Is the lack of a RAM bump that obvious? I've seen a lot of people complaining about safari reloading pages left and right. Is this a thing?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the replies.

Two more questions. Does TMobile still do the free 200mb/month thing? Of so, are there any catches or is it as straight forward as it seems?

Can you use a TMobile iPad on any of the other LTE networks if you get an appropriate SIM?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

How are the Amazon Basics lightning cables? I've been thinking about getting the 6ft amazon cable to keep in my work luggage, but maybe a cheap genuine one and a slim USB extension would be better.

They're great, I have a few. My only complaint is the plastic part on the connector is wider than the standard Apple ones, so if you use a case with a plug cut-out, you may have to do some xact-o knife surgery on your case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

comper posted:

Quit hunching over using your iPad and get your back healthy already. Not that you'd help us at all in shootouts, but we still would love to have you back soon.

-The Wings Fans

I'm spending my time on LTIR catching up with all my bookmarked SA threads.

CoasterMaster posted:

I just tested my Amazon Basics lightning cable with the official iPad Air Smart Case and it fits fine.

I don't use a case on my iPad, but that is good to know. I had problems with one of the third-party cases on my iPhone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah iOS 8 runs like balls on my iPad 3, especially Safari.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wait until you get your first amber alert

At 3am.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The TouchID convenience is worth well more than that, but then again I get my work email on mine and I hate entering a passcode six times a day.

You have to be careful though, as it depends from company to company. Mine (giant tech megacorp) disables TouchID for any iOS devices you want your work email/calendar on, and requires you to enter an alphanumeric password vs a simple 4-digit PIN.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

No, iPad 3 was "iPad with retina", iPad 4 was "The New iPad"

iPad 3 was definitely "The New iPad."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Meh, disappointed with the Black Friday sale from Apple. The Best Buy one is baller but they've only had cellular models in stock randomly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seems that Best Buy has a lot more in stock this morning. I was able to snag a 64gb gold Air 2 to replace my The New iPad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Many options for repairing a cracked screen on an iPad 2? I have a local shop willing to swap screens for $100, which seems reasonable. Any way for me to do it myself?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had the Air 2 for about a month now, and I still hate the fact there is no mute switch anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's..... Actually incredible that it still worked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

What is my best option (besides the trash) for fixing a cracked screen on a very old iPad 2? Apple wants $249.99 which is pretty laughable. :(

I had my sons iPad 2 fixed by some local place for like $99. It worked great... until he cracked the screen a second time. I didn't get it fixed again, so now he has to just deal with half the screen not recognizing touch.

I think I just found the place on Craigslist or something. Since it's an iPad 2, you don't have to worry about it voiding the warranty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Installed the 9 GM on my iPad 3 and....... I can't delete apps anymore. The icons shake, but no delete X. Lovely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha gently caress me. I'm loaning my iPad out tonight and disabled installing and deleting apps like 4 minutes before that post.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How is it that there's still no calculator app on iPad???

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the gently caress do I keep hitting while typing, that automatically selects all my text or the whole line and without noticing it, I type over all my text? This is pissing me off so much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

It's the two finger trackpad/text selection thing, if you type fast enough it fucks up and thinks you're doing some big swipe selection or something.

Ugh it is, and it always activate when I don't want it to and erases every loving thing I just got done typing. I'm constantly shaking my iPad to undo it. gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've been on the 15.6 beta track for my Ipad Air 2. Over the past few weeks, with build #19G5027e, my wifi icon will show in the upper right for a spit second, then disappear. If I go into wifi settings, it shows I'm connected to my router (or tethering my phone), but I can't get any network whatsoever. I'm pretty sure I'm behind on 15.6 public builds since I hardly ever use this slow piece of poo poo, but it won't let me update due to no network connection (even though it shows connected in settings). Is there a way to upgrade public betas via iTunes? Just from googling, it looks like I'm on 15.6 PB1?

I have tried doing a hard reset (not wipe), and resetting network settings, forgetting my network, turning off private addressing on my router, etc, but nothing works.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's places that have the IPSW files.

:lol: I can't turn off Find My because of no network connection

I found the IPSW and shift-clicking update in iTunes (I thought it was Restore, hence the need to turn off Find My) seems to have gotten it to start updating. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Great, now I'm getting an "unknown error" when either trying to update with the beta IPSW, or restoring to factory defaults.

Guess it's toast until 16.0.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Do you mean 15.6 final? Because the iPad Air 2 ain't getting iPadOS 16

R.I.P. it's one of my favorite iPads

Ha, poo poo, I forgot about that. It's pretty annoying how insanely loving slow this thing has been since like OS 13/14. Like, it's next to unusable for anything besides letting my toddler look at google images of sharks. I certainly don't use it for anything except maybe for watching the kids in the back yard in the Ring app while I make dinner or something.

Anyway, apparently mashing restore/update to retry 250 times, it eventually went through and worked. Setup even asked if I wanted to continue using the public beta track when I selected to restore from my PB1 backup.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm glad you got it working. If you run into that issue again where it errors out on the install, you might want to try a DFU restore next time.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but between the wifi issues (which may not be related to the beta) and that error installing the update, I wonder if there's a hardware issue with your iPad.

Yeah I thought it might be a hardware issue since it’s so old, but it didn’t start to happen until 15.6 PB1. Setup updated me to PB3, and my wifi has been connected for realsies this time and downloading my backup.

e: well poo poo, it’s happening again after I restore my backup. gently caress. This is going to be annoying as hell to reinstall and re-setup everything

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

I was all geared up to replace my OG ipad Air with a 5th gen and then i had to go and use an ipad pro and see 120hz :(

I’ve got an Air 2 that’s forever old and no longer gets updates. I’m shocked it ever received iOS 15 because it’s painfully super loving slow beyond comprehension. It regularly takes 2-5 minutes to even connect to Wi-Fi after a clean boot. It’s basically only used as a kid entertainment device these days because it’s so slow.

Target has the low end 9th gen for $250 and I’m strongly considering it because the Air 2 is so loving bad these days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Oh I guess Apple Music Classical has no iPad app.

Classic Apple. Still waiting for my calculator or weather apps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

illcendiary posted:

There’s a native iPad weather app now

Really? Tapping on the weather widget just opens weather.com or whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

You need IOS16.

Lol I have an Air 2 so yeah, that’s why I’m missing it. Good to know!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It was replaced in 7 months. My first iPad was a 3 and it was real bad.

The “new iPad” / 3 was my first one and yeah, it chugged after a year or two of updates. I’m glad my kid dropped it and shattered the screen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, I got a $270 iPad gen 9 yesterday to replace my Air 2 that has been absolute dogshit for the past 4 years or so of iOS updates. It took an eternity to open literally anything on it. It’s nice actually being able to type on a keyboard without crazy lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I am extremely impressed you used it for this long.

I haven’t used it for much in years beyond casting NFL games to my TV. And even that was choppy as hell. I feel like it should have been cut off from iOS updates 4-5 years before it actually was.