Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know the demo videos they load on stuff is carefully doctored to look mind blowingly good, but when the wife and I were in the Apple store trying to decide which one she wanted one of them (some mountain bike POV demo) it looked so much better on the 12.9 there was no discussion after that.. it was the one we had to have.

The gap between the 11" and the Air was similar.

It's all subjective but both of us reacted the same way so maybe there's something to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For lightning ported stuff, you can get adapters with a usb-a port and a 3.5mm audio output on Amazon. That's what I use with my keyboard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be like me, never buy anything because I'm waiting for the more powerful version that's only a year away. Can't ruin what you don't have!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

MacBook Air pre-2011 vs post-2011

retina MacBook Pro 2012 vs 2013

We have a pre-2011 and it's still in great condition.. battery is great, screen is immaculate, but the computer part itself is loving useless and it pains me. There's nothing it does well except stream Netflix.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main issue with it is they keep taking volume out of the main body and bragging about having the THINNEST PHONE EVERRRRR and then there's a huge camera bump. If they filled that space with battery or a sim slot or whatever and made all sides of the phone flush, they'd have an objectively better phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pushbullet used to have an iOS app but they let it wither and die after Handoff became a thing.

The best way I know to pass things between iOS and a Windows system is Notes.app and iCloud.com in a web browser. Or the OneDrive app for files.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the Firefox app work well in general or is Safari the best option on iOS? In any case, sounds like me needs are all covered in some way or another, so I'll be picking one up when a deal rolls around. I'm mainly interested in video consumption and some light browsing but I'm used to flagship devices that are pretty fast and responsive, so I figured I'd go with the Air over the base model.

It works, but iOS still doesn't let you change your default browser so you'll never fully escape Safari if you tap links. Apple doesn't make their optimized javascript engine available to non-Safari browsers either. In practice I'm not sure it matters much but it's worth noting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I could've sworn that got changed in the last big update or two. Like, I distinctly recall seeing an option or a menu or a box somewhere asking me to choose between Safari and Chrome as default for stuff like links, etc. I also thought Apple stopped doing that Webkit thing recently, not that it changes the fact that Safari's still generally the best choice browser and best optimized.

As far as I know, it's just a rumored feature for iOS 14 this fall. If it is possible now it's a trick I don't know about!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The touch interface on windows feels like a proof of concept someone implemented and then never looked at it again. It's made worse by the fact that so few programs implement touch controls, it's nothing but the mouse based interface without the mouse.

I imagine trying to make OSX touch friendly would have the same problems.. there's so much built around the existing interface it would take ten years to get everyone to finally adopt the philosophy. From that angle, it makes way more sense to turn an OS developed for touch into something that supports some mouse functions like Apple is doing with the iPad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just bear in mind we're (probably) a little under two months from a new pro announcement, which means there's a potential for a price drop on current stuff or the new hotness being so awesome you just have to have it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You also need to take into account that phone companies habitually gently caress up account migration/creation so you need to be prepared that you'll lose the number no matter how careful you are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only possible conclusion to draw from that is apple pencil 3 where you draw in the air.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Costco has a great return policy so if you don't have an Apple store nearby I could see that being a benefit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

$535 seems comically little for a 256 iPad Pro 3rd gen trade in but I might just bite it for the convenience of not having to deal with people and make the jump to the new one.

Out of curiosity I put in the serial for our first gen air and they'd give me $90 for it. That's only 2/3 what it lists for on the secondhand market but is way more than I would expect for something that's 7 years old.

(especially because I've traded in watches with Apple before and they give you a bag of peanuts for them)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well OS X and iOS are still leagues apart despite a lot of work to bring them closer, but in terms of hardware that's basically it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope you're serious about doing on work on an iPad at that point because you're coughing up $1800 for the privilege of having that 16GB of ram. That's well into laptop/desktop price range.

It would be pretty awesome for the pro to fully function as a laptop, but it's not quite there yet. It's definitely packing the hardware for it, so hopefully they keep cranking away at the OS to further blur the lines between OSX and iOS.

(Tim, please fix the external monitor support)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd just need iTerm2 and kerberized ssh for the iPad to be able to do a day of work for me.

Every ssh client I've ever tried on iOS has been pretty bad, mostly because I need multiple sessions that last several hours. Kerberos support is pretty rare too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The gift card part is the only bit that annoys me, I want it applied to the initial purchase for the discount. It doesn't feel like much of a deal if I end up burning that money on apps and poo poo, even though it affects my bank account exactly the same amount.

Feelings matter. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's normal for Apple to bump up the memory in their higher tier configurations. There's no real justification for it, it's Apple being Apple.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pros don't fly off the shelves like phones and airs, do they?

I fully expect shortages on the initial crush but it would surprise me if it lasts months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Yeah but I was wondering what it means in practical terms.

It doesn't really mean anything as of today because Apple hasn't announced any major changes in the software the iPad runs. So it's 100% speculation from rumor dorks.

There's some suggesting that sharing the same CPU as the macbook and the huge amount of ram available means the iPad is going to get OSX but that's almost certainly bullshit (certainly not within a year, new iPad OS features have already been leaked). There's also theories that more "big" software packages (stuff like xcode) will become available for iOS as Apple continues to blur the lines between their desktops and mobile devices.

But for now the M1 is just a faster CPU than the last generation. There could be an argument that buying an M1 now gives you a chance at running whatever next big OS thing Apple has planned, kind of like the 32 to 64 bit transition in 2013, but I feel like that's 1-2 years away and by then an even better ipad will be available.

Maybe in a couple months, after WWDC, we'll know more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It appears to have no kerberos, making it useless for me to do work with as my employer requires it. Everything else about it looks pretty drat great though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big news is gonna be during WWDC anyways. Assuming Apple actually has something big coming and it's not a bunch of nerds getting excited over hopes and dreams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple making no mistakes with the way they set their price tiers. The next one up is always "just a little more."

When I feel that happening (with any purchase) I try to compare against what my original decision was, not what my current choice is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you bring up the Apple store app around their daily inventory refresh you can semi-quickly get what you want. Might take a week of trying to pull it off, depending on demand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tl;dr: it's fast

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I would hope they can mitigate it in software, there's allegedly a grid of 10,000 micro leds in that screen and maybe they can fine tune how many leds get turned on in those high contrast situations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the offices at Apple's spaceship have human detecting lights and there was no way for them to test the device in unlit environments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sample image with the giant widgets taking up half the screen and tiny little iphone sized icons poorly filling the gaps cracks me up.

Yes you can make the icons bigger in settings, but the enormous gaps don't shrink so it's still like a handful of peas rolling around in a box.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

iPadOS for iPad and Air, iPadOS Pro for Pro's. That's the most Apple solution to this I can imagine.

Put some scary mindmeld of OSX+iPadOS on the Pro, rename it to iMac Mini Pro.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Not that I have any reason to want to get rid of it, I wonder what I'd get for trading in my Air 4. The Air 4 is great, but having an 11" M1 Pro would also be great...

Well if you go through the configuration page on apple.com you can run the serial through their estimator! Guarantee it will trigger impulse spending though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is one of those technologies in search of a purpose. It apparently has some ancillary use in photography, but until Apple's Big Bet On AR(!) comes to pass it's more a gimmick than anything.

Photographers won't give a poo poo, it'll mostly only help with the fake depth of field trickery.

3D modelers are probably more interested in it but I don't know much about that industry so maybe they already have something better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tim just really wants to make sure you have an iphone so you can add things and check the weather.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Modern video codecs are already heavily compressed, you aren't going to gain anything by compressing them again.

If you need smaller files the only real option is to re-encode them to a lower resolution/framerate. There are apps that do that but I've never used any so can't make a recommendation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe use youtube-dl on a desktop and transfer the files to the iPad for local play?

Either access them in files.app or find a dedicated player. VLC can certainly do it but maybe there's simpler one tap options that work with young kids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

You could use YouTube-dl on the iPad itself and download them for viewing in some other app. Or maybe see how flexible the YouTube Kids app is?

YouTube is notorious for showing adult themed ads to kids. A lot of the videos are filled with some truly crazy poo poo too. It absolutely needs to be curated by a parent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A non drawing use is is you do any music stuff, the pencil will be more precise for fiddling with all the dials and sliders that iOS music apps tend to include. You can do this with a mouse too but the pencil is more portable so there's upsides to both.

The pencil is not for everyone, that's for sure. But if you find a use case it's awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now how about they shrink down the gap between app icons. They don't need to hit maximum icon density, but all that dead space has always looked weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Siri suggestions widget is really good, saves you keeping app you use at the same time every day in a static spot. Instead you can have Siri pop them up when it thinks you'll use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Oh, I get it. I misread that.

Yeah, I guess when you use a Spyder or whatever it’s just measuring the monitor output and not concerning itself with the ambient light. I do think they hit on something cool with True Tone for dealing with how you perceive color in the variable conditions in which you use mobile devices, but I guess it could muck things up in serious business scenario.

For a while the color munkie calibrators would read ambient room lighting and adjust based on that reading. You could configure it to check at an interval to adjust as daylight changed.

Current software versions don't do that anymore, don't know why though. I'd guess they decided it doesn't help or it was too inaccurate.