Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think iOS devices are even maxing out USB 2.0's transfer speeds yet.

Not sure about that. USB 2.0's 480Mbps is theoretical – like in a lab, with the wind behind it, on a good day when everything is playing nice, so I'm pretty sure it's being maxed out. Get a decent USB3 pen and a decent USB2 one and you'll see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I like the idea of Poetic case I have on my Mini: slim hard case on the back, smartcover-style flip on the front with the magnet to turn on the screen.

Unfortunately, the Poetic is junk and chunks are quickly cracking off the corners. Can anyone recommended something similar, but more durable?

I have a Joymii SmartSuit and it's exactly like you describe and very well made. Nice and grippy covering too.

Edit: ignore me, didn't spot that you were asking for Mini cases

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Are you after the space for the likely occasional movies on holiday scenario? If so I'd personally go with the retina mini too, as it's far more likely to last a couple of years before feeling slow and frustrating to use (see original iPad now)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

illBilliam posted:

The only other one that I know of is Splashtop XDisplay. I'm wondering how well these second display apps work too since Ableton Live now supports dual monitors.

I have Air Display and as long as you have a good strong wifi connection on both devices it works great.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

caboodle posted:

Just to clarify, I'm experiencing spontaneous restarts since iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 & 1st gen iPad mini. This is a iOS 7 issue.

I get them through the night fairly often on my 5S, which is annoying as it kills Sleep Cycle and means I have to enter my password to turn off the secondary alarms rather than using my thumbprint. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't a stupidly long passphrase…

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Use a less terrible pass phrase then? Four numbers handles things well.

I'd rather have the extra security and like mentioned, it's partly policy for devices in my company. It's a minor annoyance, and to be fair having to wake up enough to actually type it all in probably isn't too much of a bad thing. It's just odd to see 'your device has restarted' sometimes twice a day when I go to wake my phone.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
If you also want to read those Kindle books on other devices and have your position synced across them then the Kindle app is the only way. That's the Kindle killer feature for me, I don't see why you'd be bothered where the ebooks came from or their format otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

rio posted:

^
I had just recently used Do Not Disturb before that incident - something I really never use - so that sounds like it is connected to the problem.

Re: an ipad stylus. I am looking for a fine point stylus, and of course there are a ton of styli to look through after google searches. Something that could draw well would be neat, but I am looking primarily for accuracy and a thin point of contact (this is for music notation).

I was initial looking at something like the Adonit Jot Pro, but read a lot of reviews of people scratching their screens with that one. Then there are others that look cool but are like 75 bucks. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the capacitive fiber stylus but those tips look a bit too big to be accurate. Anyone have any suggestions?

They're all about as accurate as each other unless an app's software explicitly supports a particular stylus, as they'll simply be interpreted as a finger without driver style support.