Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Played with an iPad Mini this past weekend at the Apple Store. Absolutely amazed at how light it is compared to my iPad 2. Worth buying now or waiting until October for retina display?

Personally the hardware is so similar I would wait. I have a 2 as well, and I just don't see. The point.

That being said, if you can sell the 2 for the price you get the Mini at, that would be worth. Probably quite possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nihiliste posted:

I just hope both iPads get it. I figure they will.

I thought they would be doing iPads as well today. Have their been rumors for a later launch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

Will Apple continue to sell the 4th gen iPad new on their site once the new one goes up? If so, based on past releases, do we have any idea what the price may be? My iPad 3 is still hanging in there, mostly because I only surf and read comics/kindle books on it but a $300 upgrade would be worth it just to get all of my devices back on the same charging cables.

No one will know for sure until the new one launches. It's probable return iPad 4s will have a low price, although if you're looking for a low difference def sell your iPad to make up the difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If anyone still has any old cellular iPads, I'm looking to buy an ATT iPad for a family member who needs better internet options. I'm open to either the 3, 4 or Mini. Anyone looking to sell?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is anyone else seriously considering going from the full sized iPad to the Mini? I was seriously considering it before but now knowing that Tmobile is giving away data for free and fit only costs 30 more than the same equipped 32gb wifi model...I'm having some difficulty choosing!

It really comes down to whether you want a bigger screen or not. Personally I would do the Mini, but if i didn't have a computer i would more strongly consider the Air.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I've got a 32gb AT&T white iPad Mini that I'm thinking of trying to trade in or sell. Amazon looks like it would give me about $300 credit, which will go a long way to pay for the 16gb retina wifi mini I want to pick up (I really only use it for reading and a few games, so the storage space and cellular access isn't necessary for me). Should I go with that, or pop it on Craigslist to see if I can get more?

I'm looking for this, PMing you for more info.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm debating on the best iPad to get my mom. She is currently using my iPad 2 with just wifi, but she will really benefit from the cellular connection due to her poor home Internet connection, and it's only $10 a month for her to pool off my data plan. So I need an ATT 4G iPad (we get LTE where she lives), and she uses it to go online and play candy crush type games. Very basic uses, she used 300MB of wifi last month.

The iPad 3 is now refurbished from apple for $400, the 4 for $479. The mini is $359. I get a $100 credit from ATT either way, which is nice. Not huge price differences, but it's already a decent chunk of change, so I was curious what everyone's thoughts here are? I'm trying to balance price vs not getting something that will be too out of date.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any ATT corporate store can do a SIM card swap and allow you to keep your unlimited plan. No fees.

FYI ATT has a promotion where you can get a $100 credit if you renew the plan with a 2 year contract. If you have a grandfathered plan with unlimited data, don't do this as you will lose your unlimited (system works differently with iPads is all). Just get the SIM card swapped and stay month to month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I got the retina mini w/verizon, I thought it was supposed to be difficult to get, but everyplace seems to have plenty of them. I am relatively impressed, although it seems to burn through battery life faster than my old mini did. One question, the internet gives really erratic answers on: am I locked to only verizon with this iPad, or is it possible to swap to a T-mobile sim later if I wanted to?

Should be cross comparable for TMo and ATT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The layouts are totally different.

Not for an American.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I google searched and got all kind of mixed messages, and figured someone here could give a quick answer.

Basically this, I have a grandfathered unlimited and I do not want to lose it because I was curious.

It should work fine, it's mostly a matter of whether AT&T s system identifies the new device as a tablet and switch you to a tablet plan. Although unlimited data was offered for tablets for a bit, so that might not matter to the system either. Honestly, it's an unknown, although ATT Corp can recover a grand fathered plan within 14 days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

We're getting a new iPad Air very soon (32GB, Wi-Fi only), and I want to buy a protective cover for it. It'll be carried around with me when I'm on the move, so I'll need something rugged. Are there any decent off-brand versions for it, or is it best to go for the real deal on this thing? Any other recommended accessories for a first-time iPad owner?

Do you really need rugged rugged? Otterbox is the main rugged one, and its nice, but it really, really adds to the size and weight. Even with the Air its kind of killing the purpose of the tablet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on a3rd party calendar app for the iPad like Fantastical 2 for the iPhone? It isn't as bad for the iPad, but the calendar app could be better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: I've gotten surprisingly good at touch-typing on a full-sized iPad if you lay it flat.

The sales I work in has us using iPads exclusively, and I've become king of 2 thumb typing with the iPad (landscape too). Not sure why, but it works for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Apple are being cheap by charging so much for more storage, and not bumping the base-level up to 32GB yet. You really do need at least that if you want the ease of use that iPads are known for (i.e. Not manually having to manage storage every other day).
They must be getting on for 1000% profit on some of the storage upgrades by now.

That said; I've heard of noone who actually uses magazines on an iPad, and I work in publishing. They're all universally trash, and worse to use than the equivalent website - plus 400MB an issue to download.

I had the economist for the last year (just cancelled) and I have the New York Times website if you count that (why the hell would I pay more just for an iPad app is beyond me).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have an iPad 2 through work, and with iOS 7 it's just at the point of being unusable. Have others noticed this as well? I have the graphic stuff turned off.

Just a shame since it worked great overall with iOS 6.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

I'm a poor person and I want a 32GB iPad mini retina. Am I stupid yes/no? I work a sales job so there's no actual reason for wanting one except being a bit of a gadget freak and only having owned Android devices for the past four years. I already have the Asus TF300T (ten inch Android tablet with lower specs than my phone) which I never use because it's basically a giant phone and the size means it's not particularly more portable than a laptop. I'd be much happier if I could actually play with one before buying it, the demo models in stores don't allow you to install apps and I'm really wondering how stuff like Google Drive feels on the device. Stuff like web browsing works amazing though.

I might be able to buy one at a 20% discount if someone I know doesn't use their personnel discount before it expires.

The iPad mini retina is pretty fantastic. Fast, great screen quality, etc. between that and the Air it really just comes down to style preference. But it would last a good long time assuming you don't bust it.

I just swapped my work iPad 2 for the regular iPad mini, and personally I'd rather trade off the larger screen for the portability any day. I'm sold on the form factor. Someday I'll get them to upgrade me to the retina.

On that note, my iPad 2 (launch version) was pretty unusable on iOS 7, my original mini works great so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Jesus, my flatmate went out and bought a loving iPhone 4 just last year, signing up for like 24 months or something just to get it free.

Hopefully they stop selling the non-retina mini too because that's the same thing.

A good majority of people just won't get anything but the cheapest. Explaining that the phone now shows as the "actual cost" on ATT plans just makes I that much more fun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jototo posted:

The retina minis are on Apple's refurbished store for $329. Refurbished iPads are essentially identical to brand new ones. You should definitely get a retina mini instead of getting a non retina iPad Mini.

Edit: missed that you already got one. Good choice. I just picked one up yesterday. Loving it so far.

drat is that a good buy and good price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jesus posted:

How well does the non-Retina Mini handle iOS 7? I have a 64GB Mini that my son uses and it's bugging me for an update (currently running 6.0.2), but I don't want to do it if it's going to run like my old iPhone 4 did after upgrading to iOS 7.

I use a non retina mini with the latest iOS 7 and it's not bad. If you use it heavily switching between apps it will have a hesitation, so I would say that is noticeable, but definitely not the "crash or just plain doesn't work" that the iPhone 4 has with iOS 7. I do have reduce motion turned on and would recommend that, just for the record.

Overall, at this point I would say go for it. It'll mean all apps work with the device, and it runs well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah, you're right it is ridiculous. I guess I was just seeing if anyone else fought with the "do I really need a tablet" dilemma.

But some examples of people how people work the small tablet into the light laptop/Smartphone day to day life would be useful.

Honestly when I'm home I just don't use my phone now a days (and that will probably go up with iOS 8 integration) since it's bigger screen, better multitasking, etc. I have a MacBook Air as well, but the iPad turns on faster so it's slightly different use cases. My MacBook Air will rarely leave my place, but my iPad can go with me most places: certainly to work and certainly when traveling.

There's no main thing that makes it useful, it's just super convenient and has fantastic battery life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

So I dropped my 5 day old iPad on the sidewalk and smashed the screen. Heartbreaking. $500 device is going to become an $800 device after I get Apple to replace the screen, I guess. Can't wait for the genius to be like FIVE DAYS? Couldn't even get Applecare+ right away since I bought it from a third-party vendor. Suuuuuuucks.

Could be worse. People who have non-Apple tend to have to ship it out, wait 1-2 weeks, and then hopefully have no issues.

It's a bummer Apple is starting to charge (arguably appropriate) higher rates to repair their devices, but they def have overall great support and turn around time. My Nexus 7 kicked he bucket and it took two weeks to fully process everything with Asus. I helped a customer with Samsung a bit ago and they're beyond awful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hi pals. Considering getting an iPad, my first iPad ever. Will Orin get the 4th gen but I'm wondering is there due to be a new one out soon? Or is it just a new iPhone this year? Thanks.

FYI the most recent iPad is the iPad Air, which is actually the 5th generation. Whether you hang out until September / October to see what apple launches is up to you, but unless its a really, really good deal I would recommend the Air (or iPad Mini Retina) over the 4th gen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

Like an idiot, I upgraded my ipad 2 to the latest ios and now web browsing is insufferably slow. Is there anything I can do? (gently caress apple btw; I am so done with apple products)

There are reasons to not like Apple, but as always "they keep updating my device arghhhh" is not one of them.

If you would like, I would be OK with buying an android tablet from that time frame (April 2011, aka over 3 years ago) and I'll straight up trade you. If memory serves me right that was the 2nd Asus Transformer and at best the Galaxy Tab 2 10.0. I assure you the iPad 2 for better support.

On a serious note, hardware is hopefully starting to run into Moore's law so newer devices should be able to hold their own even longer now. Hopefully.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is there any inkling of an iPad refresh this year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hypersleep posted:

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model.

It's a bit early to tell, but so far a decent amount of people are opting for the 64GB size over 16 with the 6, so Apples probable plan to upsell to the higher storage models is working. Unless sales and demand pushes them to up 16 to 32, I doubt they would.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd jump on it if I was at all in the market for a Mini.

$350 for a 64GB vs $600 for an iPad Air 2 64GB, that's tempting. I guess it comes down to form factor and whether the faster specs and Touch ID are worth $250.

I'm tempted but I might hold out and get he Air 2 eventually.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

Note that you only get an extra year with AppleCare on iPad, so if you plan to hold on to it for a long time you'll need something else for coverage later on, but hell if I know how other stuff compares.

Buy with most rewards card and it extends the warranty of apple care (not sure on damage) a 3rd year. At the very least covers defects or the battery for the third year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
iPad Air 2 is $100 off at best buy.com right now. It might just get me to pull the trigger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Meh, disappointed with the Black Friday sale from Apple. The Best Buy one is baller but they've only had cellular models in stock randomly.

Yeah, Apple doesn't tend to have good Black Friday specials. Their only specials are refurbs, and those won't be there yet for the Air 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

In brief, I wanted to ask this thread if I should keep the iPad I just bought.

I have wanted an iPad for a long time, but I could not afford 5-700 dollars for a high-memory model of one of the recent pads. Very recently, I picked up a very gently used iPad 3, 64 GB, for what I think is a good price of $256 American, and I can return it by the end of March if I don't want it any longer. It would only see fairly light use; I have an iPod 5 and I just want to use the pad for a few videos, a few apps that the iPod is too small for screen-wise, and my quite large collection of .pdf files, both recreational and professional.

My major concern is, this being 2 generations old, am I going to run into software compatability problems? I had an original iPhone for a long time, and that happened to me after several years. My secondary concern is if this is a good deal. Seems to be, but I want to make sure I did not get ripped off. It came with charger and some of those crappy iBuds or whatever that do not fit into human ears.

I don't think that's a good deal at all. The iPad Mini 2 32GB is $399 refurbished as an example (on Apples website) and it's just a way better buy. I'm sure you could find other deals online or ebay. At the very least get the 4th Gen, the 3rd is pretty well known for being slow at this point. But for something you are going to want to use for 2-4 years, it's really worth spending extra to get either the Mini 2 or one of the Airs, they'll just last longer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

As someone who sold iPhones for 5 years, you'd be wrong.

Agreed, but honestly some people are just hopeless with technology.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil. I can see how this is equivalent to the kindle argument "I just don't see how this can replicate the feel of a paper book" but I honestly think that writing on paper is more helpful by virtue of it being paper.

The big thing is really what type of notes do you need? I use mostly text notes, so i just type up quick notes in note pad. Sometimes i need to draw out something, which is where Notability would come into play. So I think its way different on fields that needs graphics or formulas vs those that don't need those.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Would now be a really bad time to buy an iPad? All I can find rumoured for October is a Surface rip-off but the price drop for all models is inevitable, right?

Ignoring the retarded 2nd sentence, can't hurt to wait until September 9th to find out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Decided that the iPad Mini 4 is worth $131 more than the Mini 2. For Touch ID plus the power, I would do it. So now it's just a question of when I crack and order it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How is it that there's still no calculator app on iPad???

It isn't free, but Soulver on the App Store is way better and worth it anyway. Use it all day everyday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

The phone screen is made of ultra advanced, tempered gorilla glass (or similar). Is your $5 glass protector really going to do anything?

Backing up Ford Prefect, I wouldn't say glass screen protectors are a savior, but they do help.

So I have an iPad mini 4, and the multitasking is great, but is there Amy way to pick what apps make the list? I know over time they end up near the top anyway, but I am just never going to use loving tips in my multitasking.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

Nope!

Pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. It's only going to get worse as more apps add iOS9 functionality. The list sort of orders itself on last app used, though.

Maybe we'll get that functionality in iOS9.2? :shrug:

Yeah, overall it's definitely a first world problem, and I don't usually run into an issue since it goes by last app used, it's more annoying than anything.

Now google just needs to update hangouts with the multi tasking support and it'll be awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it's worth it just for 1password, so you can copy/paste without having to leave the app if it doesn;t support the extension

This times infinity. Holy poo poo is it so much more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

I just use the Safari keychain stuff which is in Settings.

...which doesn't support slideover/split screen :argh:

I did not notice that settings is missing from slide over. Even more amazing than that oversight is that loving Tips supports slide over and split screen.