Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the helpful info in the OP! But I've run into a snag. I'm torn between buying an iPad 4, and an iPad Mini. We want something that we can travel with (to navigate maps, read eBooks, that sort of thing), do casual web browsing at home, and do some app development. Assuming that these are the primary uses, am I better off getting an iPad 4 or iPad Mini? And what's the bare minimum amount of space we should settle for?

Edit: Thanks for the info, guys. :)

melon cat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright. I'm about to take the plunge. I'm going to be buying a black iPad with retina display. But I'm kind of at an impasse. I'm not sure what size to get. I was leaning towards the 32GB model. The iPad won't be my main computing device, but I'll be doing a lot of playing around on it (testing iPhone apps I've created, watching movies, to name a few things). How much space should I realistically be looking at?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had no idea about the announcement coming on the 22nd. I'll definitely wait for that before making any purchase decisions. Thanks for letting me know about that.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright, it's decided. I'm going to buy the iPad 4th Gen with retina display.

... but I've never done this before. What's the best way to go about buying it? Order it online? Head to a brick and mortar store during the non-chaotic hours? I feel so out of touch. You kids and your newfangled technology books.

But, yeah. Help?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Apple Stores won't be stocking them anymore. Your local Best Buys and Targets might still have some in stock, however. Alternatively, the online Apple Store should have some refurbs available, which are well worth buying.
Ugh... I really dislike Best Buy, and the Targets that recently opened up here in Canada don't offer the same low prices as their U.S. counterpart. I guess I'll go for the refurbished items from the online Apple Store. Thanks!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

beergod posted:

If you're considering a 4 I would strongly advise you just hold off and save the $100 to get the air instead. The difference in the hardware is so substantial that a 4 really doesn't make sense at all.
Is that right? I never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

eric posted:

Seriously though spend the extra cash and get the Air. It's so much faster and better to hold it's worth it.
Alright, then. iPad Air it is!

But here's my next question- how much space is "enough"? The iPad wouldn't be my main computing device (I use a ThinkPad for mos tof my computing), but both my wife and I will be using the iPad for casual browsing, testing iOS apps I've made, that sort of thing. Would 32 GB be sufficient?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Almost certainly, especially since you don't mention loading any video.
The only time I'd put video on it is when we're travelling and need some entertainment while waiting between flights.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 4, 2024

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
We're getting a new iPad Air very soon (32GB, Wi-Fi only), and I want to buy a protective cover for it. It'll be carried around with me when I'm on the move, so I'll need something rugged. Are there any decent off-brand versions for it, or is it best to go for the real deal on this thing? Any other recommended accessories for a first-time iPad owner?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you really need rugged rugged? Otterbox is the main rugged one, and its nice, but it really, really adds to the size and weight. Even with the Air its kind of killing the purpose of the tablet.
I see what you're saying. But to be honest- if it protects my ~$700 new toy, I don't mind the added bulkiness. Thanks for suggesting this brand.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

You could also get the $100 AppleCare+ and just get it fixed if you gently caress it up.
Glad you mentioned this. I don't know anything about AppleCare (aside from the probably-unreliable online gossip). Is it worth the cash? Any hidden strings attached with AppleCare that are worth knowing about?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll definitely look into AppleCare. Thanks.

But just one thing- I already purchased the iPad Air, but without AppleCare. What's the best way for me to purchase the protection, but minimize the possibility that Apple will turn down a future claim, ie. "We're not replacing it because you we think you bought AppleCare after damaging it." Can it be purchased in-store after a qualified inspection of some sort?