Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new Apple portable device for schoolwork and loving around and I'm trying to decide between either the MBA or some variety of iPad (possibly the Pro, not sure). I have a pretty beefy Windows desktop gaming PC I use as a daily driver so I'm not concerned about doing really heavy lifting on my portable computer. The heaviest use case I could think of is a 30000x14000 pixel TIFF file I'd maybe want to open very rarely.

I'm a Women's Studies student, so my workflow is pretty much looking at a ton of PDFs, taking notes from lectures or using a combination of Zotero and Obsidian, and then turning it into papers/presentations/etc. Both Zotero* and Obsidian are available for use on iPad OS, so that's not a problem. Doing papers on my desktop is fine, switching presentations from PowerPoint to I forget what the Apple iWork equivalent is might be a bit wonky.

Things I think I'd maybe gain from using an iPad are ease of reading giant piles of PDFs, the ability to read them much more portably and accessibly (I have some use cases where being able to display a US-letter size document at 100% scaling on the whole screen at once would be really, really nice [it looks like this is the big iPad Pro's territory]), doing stuff with the Apple Pencil, and weirdly enough the replaceability of the Magic Keyboard is quite compelling. I'm a klutz who usually ends up trashing her laptop keyboard at some point during its lifespan, and just replacing the keyboard accessory instead of having to repair the actual laptop would be great. Also even if the iPad Air is giant it would still probably be better to curl up in bed with than my iPhone SE for watching Netflix.

Things I'd lose are some obscure hobby programs I use on my main computer, and running stuff outside of the App Store (some games).

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else uses an iPad in a similar way and if it works for them, or if you'd recommend I just get an MBA instead. Both are within shouting distance of each other on the Canadian education store (looking at 16 GB RAM/512 GB storage options as I've got a bunch of stuff I want to put on a portable device already), with the iPad accessories being about another $500.

*Okay, technically the actual iOS app isn't out yet, but Zotfile and Zotero Sync fits my use case pretty well it looks like.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Did ipad OS 15 fix the thing where calling applications (zoom, skype, facetime etc) drop your video/audio if you switch to another app? That's the only lingering dealbreaker I can think of after doing a bunch more research. Otherwise I'm pretty settled on getting the large iPad Pro.

e: and yes, I do have O365 through my university, thanks for the tip!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rage-saq posted:

I just got a Mini 6 + Pencil + Apple Folio after not having used an iPad much the last few years, my kid has kind of taken over the Air2 and I kinda didn't bother with iPads for a bit.

Holy hell this thing is so close to perfection for me it is amazing. With the folio it's the nicest iPad to hold in the hand I've ever used, something about the ergonomics is just magical.

Why oh why apple did you not include a flap or some kind of better clasp mechanism to retain the pencil. I got an ESR case which is like the Apple Folio case with a little flap to secure the pencil, but I would really like a nice leather one in this style, would pay a lot. Anyone seen one like that?

Yeah it really is weird. I'm expecting to have to get one of Apple's little loop things to go with my iPad Pro (if it fits on at the same time as the magic keyboard), or maybe just put it in my actual irl pencil case I usually carry with me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's about 60-80% more expensive than I was hoping for. Maybe I should just get a cable dock and wired keyboard instead....

Yeah, the catch that you're running into is that any keyboard that connects to the iPad is going to use one of three things: the lightning/usb-c port, bluetooth, or a smart connector. the smart connector would be directly connected to the pad, so that's not what you want. you don't want something connected by the port, so there's actually no wired connections left - only bluetooth. that means the keyboard is already wireless, so it's unlikely to have a wired power connector. then you've cut it down further by saying you don't like removable standard batteries for some reason, so you pretty much have only two options left: top-end high quality wireless keyboards (of which the mx keys seems to be general consensus) or crap wireless keyboards (in which case go ahead and just order whatever the hell thing looks cute on amazon because it'll die before the new device shine wears off).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Having to remember to charge some AA/AAA batteries is just not tenable for me, so I guess wired it is!

For reference, your average wireless keyboard by a reputable brand (like Logitech) will last weeks if not months on replaceable batteries these days, so if you have literally two sets you're good for years even if you're forgetful like me. -signed, a person with ADHD who can't remember poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Got the iPad Pro, magic keyboard feels great, pencil is fun, haven't done anything major productivity wise yet, but so far I am very happy

e: oh holy poo poo pdfs look gorgeous on this

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Got the iPad Pro, magic keyboard feels great, pencil is fun, haven't done anything major productivity wise yet, but so far I am very happy

e: oh holy poo poo pdfs look gorgeous on this

update: i am very tired and frustrated at how hard it is to get a handful of folders to sync from my desktop computer to my ipad. i would literally like itunes to just take my files and sync them to the ipad, but apparently that's too much to ask. drag and drop file storage has to be configured on a per app basis, and doesn't seem to sync automatically. my best effort so far is using readdle's documents app to sync a google drive folder, because lmao apple won't let you store files for offline use from icloud to the ipad in case you don't live in a major city's downtown 24/7.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bobfather posted:

Install iCloud for Windows, drop files into that folder, now you’re done?

Again, iCloud doesn't let you mark folders for offline use on the iPad (that functionality is in the Windows application though). I want to be able to get things done when I don't necessarily have internet access.

Google Drive would technically work, but I'd rather not pay $15 a month to put 300GB of PDFs for personal/academic use in the cloud when I really just need them on my desktop and my ipad.

I found an iPad app called FileBrowser Pro that connects to SMB shares and syncs that way. It's slow, but it fits my use case perfectly. Most of this only needs to sync once and then just watch for additions thereafter, anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comatoast posted:

Erm, the "Files" app can connect to smb shares. I use this feature to manually copy my keepass database to my phone every so often. It's a simple copy/paste operation into a folder on the phone.

Right, but I'm not trying to manually copy and paste things. I want to sync these folders. The app I found does that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

Guess it's too late now, but I would've said to try Readdle Documents or PDF Expert, cause the basic file management/sync stuff is part of the free base afaik.

I did try those. Syncing was supported to cloud services that aren't iCloud, as I noted, so I'd be paying $15 a month to Google for the ~250GB of PDFs that fit on my iPad storage normally.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

You can sync to a local SMB share too :confused: (unless that’s like a paid thing now, but didn’t see any sign of that)

I did not see anything like that on readdle’s website, mind linking me to it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Well poo poo, I’m an idiot. Thanks to you and Japtor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

No problem, haven’t used it in a while but tested it out before posting. Basically just connect to a server, then from the little dot menu on the right you can choose to sync a folder.

I ended up sticking with FileBrowser Pro because it allows for background syncing instead of Documents which is like "i need to be in the foreground and the iPad needs to be on and not asleep for all 30 hours of syncing." Going through Files to open stuff up in PDF Expert is working great, though. I miss folder-wide text searches, but I can do that on my PC.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of keyboards; is the Magic Keyboard the absolute best, or is it hyped? Any alternatives that are as good (or almost as good) as it? Damned expensive.

Logitech's Combo Touch/Folio Touch are highly recommended as well. The thing is, if you have AppleCare+ it covers an Apple keyboard as well, but only an Apple keyboard, so buying the Magic Keyboard is far and away the best option in that case.

e: when i was researching keyboards brydge's keyboards seemed to have a bunch of minor annoyances that got worse over time, stuff like not using the smart connector and not using the standard trackpad support apparently gets worse over time. the Logitech options are pretty standard with what Apple wants you to do and very compatible in that respect.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

withak posted:

Someone dust off the old thread title.

edit: Goodreader used to be the universal recommendation for pdf viewers, not sure if that is still the case.

Goodreader has gone a long while without updates and is pretty long in the tooth. I'd try PDF expert first, see if you can handle the free features only or are willing to drop the $65 yearly. Most annoying thing that's locked away beyond the subscription is rotating PDF pages, but that's less of a pain on the iPad than it is on a fixed-screen device (laptop/desktop).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think I'll take un-lapable over expensive with little protection and no way to detach the keyboard or set different viewing angles. The Magic Keyboard also seems to wobble when typing, even on a table (at least from what I've seen on YouTube clips). I'm trying to think how lapable my Surface Pro 3 was (I think those are 12").
Thanks for the input. :)

For what it's worth, my experiences with the Magic Keyboard have been that it's very solid and doesn't wobble at all. There's obviously a metal plate to give the whole thing some rigidity - as long as you rest your palms on the keyboard to balance out the weight of the iPad on top it doesn't move at all, lap or desk. Because the keyboard is completely flat this feels very natural.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RhoA posted:

Welp, think I'll be getting an 11 inch iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Mini was just a bit too small for what I need.

I'm really enjoying my 13 inch one for what it's worth. Still plenty easy to move around and hold even at its largest size.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I really hate the trackpad on the Logitech keyboard case. Takes way too much force to click it and difference amounts of force on different parts. Probably returning it.

Does tap to click not work?

But yeah, if you have an iPad that fits it the question for a keyboard case is really just "why aren't you buying the magic keyboard folio" (and there are valid answers, including price; you just ask what about the magic keyboard doesn't work for you and then find something that fits that difference instead)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

you mean the magic ($350), or the folio ($200)?

the magic, sorry. long week. it's an apple laptop keyboard for your ipad, with all the great quality that entails

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Huh, those look good and are significantly cheaper than the magic.

I would do a lot of research on your particular model of choice, I have seen significant mixed reviews depending upon the model and a lot of questions about how they kept up after Apple added trackpad/mouse support.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. I see the latest version is full price. Is there any functional difference between the two, or just shape accommodations for the thicker M1 Pro?

Just shape changes for the M1 Pro. Might not magnetically connect quite as well if you use a 2021 model on the old keyboard, but it does work and do the same things.

e: looks like it's literally just fit when closed https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/05/23/yes-the-old-magic-keyboard-works-on-the-2021-ipad-pro

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
software question: does anyone have a recommended app for organizing image files for research? so not a camera roll, not using iCloud photos (although a folder that syncs through iCloud is fine), but something I can stick actual research materials in with folder/tagging support.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not that it's turned off by default, it just doesn't work. The iPad isn't recognizing it as a trackpad or touch sensitive mouse. It see's it as a mouse without a scroll wheel. So it works, but like a mid-1990's mouse without a scroll wheel.

And considering how few people have posted angry rants about their 11 year old input devices not working with iPads, it's never going to work.

I think he's talking about the iPad magic keyboard, which has it turned off by default, since rinkles just bought one. That post actually got me to check and yeah it was turned off on mine too, which is interesting! Not what I expect Apple to go with, not that I really noticed because the actual click on the Magic Keyboard is pretty drat good anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anothergod posted:

Is there a way to turn off mouse acceleration with iOS mouse input?

You have to attach specifically a trackpad, then turn it off in the trackpad settings, then it applies whenever you plug a mouse in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

My mum is currently using an 2015 12.9" iPad Pro and is looking for an upgrade. I think she wants the big screen, is the right move just to get the newest big boy iPad Pro? Or is the regular iPad that was just updated better (assuming she'll be okay with a smaller screen). She mostly just uses it for content consumption.

if she wants the big size, get the 12.9 iPad Pro, just make sure it has the same if not more storage than she had before.

she already knows how big it is and how much she likes it, she'll be cranky if you step down a size or two to the iPad/iPad Air.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I only buy Cable Matters cables now. In my old SSD testing lab everything was either StarTec or Cable Matters and it never failed and always stayed within spec.

If you want a very high quality cable but that's thicker than most cables for $10
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-IF-Certified-Black/dp/B06XMY49BM/

Slim version 3 for $14
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-C-Black-Feet/dp/B00S8GU544/

what would you recommend for about 6ft long, power is all that matters (and not fast charging at that)? I just bought two amazon basics cables and they've been fine, but I'm curious if they're bad even for that. (I buy long cables to allow me to charge my pad while I'm using it in bed in most any position.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Offloading my Surface and getting back onto iPad life. The most taxing stuff I’ll do on the iPad is maybe some light video editing (I have an M1 MacBook) and native gaming, am I right thinking there’s no real benefit to a Pro vs an Air?

There are some real benefits but it honestly does come down to your personal desires. The M1 in the iPad will be much stronger for editing and gaming, but is the increased price worth it for you?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Product line subdivision to maximize profitability.

yeah. i sincerely doubt many people need the 12.9" like i did specifically for the screen size, but i sure am glad it's there.

it's also a product line with a lot of different divisions for a lot of different use cases - you've got the regular ipad for institutions (gotta get those facetime deathbed covid calls), ipad mini for like my mom, ipad air for regular people, ipad pro for me using it as a laptop replacement for grad school.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The one big thing that you didn’t consider is that if you have AppleCare on the iPad accidental damage coverage for one Apple keyboard is included. So if you’re a klutz like me that’s almost guaranteed to dump water on the thing at some point, the value tips way more in favor of the Magic Keyboard overall.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Is this a good time to buy an iPad or are we waiting on a new release soon? I have to upgrade my Air 2 because between the battery and 16 gb space it is quickly becoming unusable. I don’t need the newest model, just recommendations for the best, affordable one that I can read comics, stream video, and some gaming on. I’m mostly playing Apple Arcade games but have baldurs gate that I have been waiting to try.

The recent Air is a great, great buy and was recently refreshed. Go right ahead and pick it up if you’re in that price range, you won’t regret it.

e: i was incorrect the last refreshes were for the no adjectives iPad and the iPad mini and the Air is a bit long in the tooth but it’s still a pretty great buy. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad-Air

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 26, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

the only one you can even argue here is reading. full size is easily better for notes and games.

and by book reading you've got to mean single pages of books smaller than letter size, for full letter pages or spreads you want the bigger size (or to be reading epubs that reflow or something like that)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

I think the savings is worth it for what I plan on using it for. My gaming is going to be Apple Arcade and maybe streaming either from Xbox or geforce now, both using a controller. The main thing for me was always going to be comics since Im subscribed to both the DC and Marvel service, so the extra screen space was what sold it. Couldn’t justify the price for the air, and especially pro, for any of those. Just like every other phone/tablet I’ve owned it will also spend a majority of its time lurking these here forums, don’t need any fancier display or speakers for that. And if a new air comes out soon that I want, this will defiantly have a higher resell value than my air 2. I was quoted $90 from Best Buy.

I don't know how super justifiable it is but I can tell you one thing - full spreads or weird panel arrangements look GREAT on the 12.9" pro

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

I see it the same way a guy I knew in college treated beer. He would only drink natural light, no matter what we offered or how many times we explained how poo poo what he was drinking was, he would stick to it. His explanation was that if he ever tried something better he wouldn’t be able to go back to natty and would end up spending more money. Standard size iPads are my natty light and as long as I don’t experience the bigger better screens I can be happy sticking to what I have.

That very much makes sense. I bought my iPad Pro as a laptop replacement but I’m still happy with my 1080p60 desktop screens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

The laminated screen does look and feel amazing. I love my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch just because of that, and I'm sad the battery is wearing out :( Not sure if I can afford to upgrade right now though.

pay apple for a battery replacement maybe? that'd be much cheaper hopefully

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The mini is too small for what I wanted the iPad for, which was drawing and playing some games or browsing the web while at work on a hotspot (I would have preferred to get an iPad Pro, but that was out of my price range) so I got the 2020 Air.

Other than some general iOS complaints (iOS seems pretty terrible for mice with more than 1 button, or wanting back/forward buttons in safari which I use for literally everything all the time in Windows/Firefox, as an example) I think it's great and has done everything else I've asked of it.

???

the back/forward buttons are right next to the sidebar button in safari. I’m 99% certain there’s a key combo shortcut for it too, if you’d prefer that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I bought a new iPad Pro 11” and Pencil on Feb 1st and got the accessory the next day, but my iPad has been stuck in an uncharacteristic for Apple delay. The delivery date was the 16th through the 23rd, so there’s still a few days to go.

It’s always possible it’s supply chain related, but I didn’t realize there was an iPad event scheduled for 3/8. Any chance Apple ran out of iPads and I’m going to have to wait for whatever is being refreshed?

And yeah. Great move. Buy an iPad for full price more than a month before a potential update. Maybe Apple is doing me a favor making me wait.

It’s unlikely there’s an update for the pro coming, since there’s really not anything to upgrade it TO from M1 yet. That said, Apple is known for generous no-fault return policies that would easily let you swap out yours for a new model if one is announced.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

I think the M1 iPads are a pretty major update worth real consideration but because they seem to last 8+ years there's no reason to rush out and buy if you already got one.

The availability of more memory in the highest storage models is interesting too, but because developers are going to target baseline iPads for many more years I still don't see a rush for it unless you're a real power user.

Yeah, the two complaints I have with mine are 1) faceid sucks and i'd've rather had touchid, especially because I'm often turning it on in bed at weird angles/no light 2) only doing 16gb ram on the 1tb and up models was bullshit and I couldn't justify that much storage space, so I worry about the longevity with only 8gb of ram. but otherwise it's perfect. i don't see it becoming unusable for my use case for many, many years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. I initially asked this in the Android tablet thread, and they sent me straight here instead, so here I am to ask this question. Could you please recommend me a tablet for my wife? She rents a space at a local business, and is looking for something to take Square payments on, run an Office/Excel equivalent on, and use for events and social media posting. Budget is the name of the game for this one, otherwise, I'm a desktop jockey, and she hasn't had a tablet in almost a decade, so we're way behind the times on what to look for. Any advice, links, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're fine just getting an iPad or an iPad mini, the mini might be better if she wants it to be the most portable for taking payments (does come at a cost premium over the base iPad). It sounds like the only reason you need storage is for the office/excel documents you mention, so if that's stuff that's hosted online/in the cloud the base storage is fine, but you likely want cellular connectivity for the Square functionality I imagine. That's pretty much it, it's hard to gently caress up with Apple products.

Buying a refurbished model from Apple themselves (and NO ONE ELSE) is fine, get AppleCare (the extended warranty). If you can afford it, buying the most recent model is recommended (the base iPad and mini have been around for awhile so there should be refurbished options of both of these available for the latest models) simply because that way it'll get support for longer (ie: five years instead of four). It really doesn't sound like your use case is gonna stress the system much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am in basically the exact same spot as your wife. I run a business on an iPad, I take square payments and I do MS office with office365

Square works really well on the iPad, no drama when you have a customer standing in front of you waiting with their card.

Same with office365, I don’t know how many people work with your wife, but at my business it’s just me, and you can get hosted Outlook, and the office suite for $5 a month under a certain headcount.

I also do contract signing on the iPad with the apple pencil and a PDF contract in Office365. I just copy a blank contract into a new folder with the customer name and have them sign it with the markup function. Works fantastic and since I’m in IT it looks much better to have a sleek iPad contract than a stack of paper

I run it all on an iPad Air 4 and it’s fantastic.

if this is appealing to OP, the mini supports the Pencil 2 instead of the Pencil 1 so it's a much better experience (magnetically clip pencil to side instead of sticking it in the port to charge like an ipad pencil dick).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
if you're interested in syncing files over an smb share for productivity, filebrowser pro is worth every penny, despite its incredibly generic name. does background sync unlike every other app I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Best Buy open box discount wasn't much more that the Apple Store education discount. Went ahead and ordered it from Apple. May as well not gently caress around and get the good stuff.

If you have AppleCare on the pad it’ll cover the keyboard too, fyi.