Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'll be away from home and traveling for a long stretch of time, and I would like to be able to access my large library of movies and music that reside on my USB drive. I have an iPad Mini that I would like to watch the videos on.

I know one way would be to jailbreak my device, get a special program off Cydia, buy the Apple lightning usb camera cable, and a powered USB hub. But is there an easier way? I will not have an internet connection. The USB device is one of the compact drives that runs off USB power and doesn't have it's own power cable.

If not then i'll just have to borrow a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wengy posted:

Gotta say, thinking about it a little more, I'm less than enthused by this announcment. I think my iPad 3 is a POS (worst iPad ever) and I really want to get rid of it, but I was hoping for a real spec monster that would last me a couple of years. Instead, they focused on the form factor and didn't even increase the battery life. They gave the Mini the same screen as the full-size iPad, so that the Mini now has significantly better PPI. I mean, I really only wanted two things: An A7X with that six-core Rogue poo poo and 2 GB RAM. It's too early to tell, but I don't think we'll get either. To me, this screams iPad 3 Mark II, because I just know there's an "iPad Pro" around the corner with a bigger screen, a resolution bump, more RAM, killer graphics etc. Ugh, what to do...

The iPad 3 is still a very capable device that runs most popular apps and games smoothly. Sounds more like a case of penis envy. If it bothers you that much then i'd sell it on craigslist and upgrade.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Jeez, is anyone NOT extremely positive about their new iPad Air? The OG mini had its fair share of complaints (screen and interface complaints mostly), but I don't think I've seen anything consistently complained about regarding the Air. Fuckers need to get here soon.

There are a lot of reports of a screen tint issue, at least from users on macrumors.com, and my Air has it as well, but it's so minor that it's really not worth exchanging over. Basically if I am looking at an entirely white screen, the top left will look blueish, and the bottom right will look orangeish. It's not noticeable if the screen isnt completely white.

It's definitely a nice improvement over the previous gen, but i'll still be exchanging it for the mini retina, because this thing is still too heavy to comfortably hold with one hand, and I prefer the mini form factor, and the fact that it's getting the same internal hardware, and slightly higher ppi, and the lower price, is making the decision pretty easy for me.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

†he main performance gain I see with the retina mini is how fast games load. It's pretty awesome. Take a game like GTR Racing 2 which is gorgeous. The race loads in like 3 seconds.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there a way yet to connect an external HDD to the iPad and play movie files, without jailbreaking?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Next time you guys fly, remember to check thoroughly for a USB port. I didn't find mine until the end of a 17 hour flight. Pissed me off. It was near my ankles, and nobody else had any idea it was there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love that Apple returned to flat sides. Now only if they did the same with the iPhone.