Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It's very bright, and almost too flat in some apps. As has been said by everyone everywhere, some of the app icons are pretty bad. Overall, though, I'm a fan of the simplicity and minimalism.

That super white UI, though... If you're in a dark room or using your iOS device outside at night, you're going to need to lower the brightness significantly to avoid the staring-into-the-sun effect.

Edit: They've posted a video: http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/hands-on-video-apples-ios-7-for-ipad/

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What's Apple's policy on Lightning cables? The one that came with my 5th gen iPod touch has been on the fritz in recent weeks, despite no apparent damage. My laptop (Windows 8) won't recognize it, and it only charges the iPod when plugged in one way and not the other (Lightning end, not USB end). I have to use my iPad charger and cable to charge my iPod as a result.

This was bought less than a year ago. If I bring the cable to the Apple Store, will they give me a replacement?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

nrr posted:

Anyone got any ideas how animated gifs are slow as hell and choppy, even when fully loaded, on my brand new 4th gen iPad, while they work just fine on my old iPhone 4?

You know, I don't even look at animated GIFs that much, but the poor performance of GIFs on iOS is baffling. Sometimes they work just fine. Sometimes they don't. Why? I don't have any loving clue, and sometimes I wonder if Apple's devs have a clue.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

digitalcamo posted:

I have no experience with a Mac or ipad besides my iPhone. I'm interested in getting an ipad but I have not the slightest clue which model. I'm learning how to program in Python and would like to practice writing code on my lunch breaks and maybe some school work. Are iPads good for these types of activities? If so could you recommend a model to me?

Do you have an Apple Store near you? It would be best to try out a full size iPad and iPad mini if you're trying to decide between the two. Personally, I recommend getting a full size iPad if you're going to be typing on it a lot. A 32GB wifi model is a good starting point if you don't need mobile Internet.

As for programming on an iPad, I write a lot of HTML and CSS using an app called Textastic, but if you're into Python, you should take a look at Pythonista. I don't write Python or have any experience with Pythonista but it gets good reviews.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

The smaller bezel makes it hard to keep centered in a cardboard theater of loneliness.

What the gently caress am I seeing here? Please link the source so I can completely take in the undiluted desperation and loneliness of this.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Seems to work. You can only have one installed at a time, and I had to roll back the clock for installation, but after it was done the clock didn't matter.

http://emulatorsforios2.weebly.com/emulator-downloads.html

Works great, but how is this even possible? Seems like a serious security flaw.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Feenix posted:

( non-jailbreak emulator chatI put Super Punch Out on it and its got hosed up orientations and no on-screen buttons. Very odd.

Which emulator? Use SiOS if you're not. It's more up to date than SNES4iOS.

I played Super Metroid for a bit and while it runs the game flawlessly, using virtual buttons is a really sub-par experience. Games ported directly to iOS that I've found very playable (GTA 3 and Vice City, for example) change the controls just enough to make for a better experience. I suppose if these emulators support the coming iOS game controllers, the games would be much more playable.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/05/rumor-foxconn-testing-production-of-larger-screened-ipad-for-2014-release

Ugh, hope not. Of course, for selfish reasons since I picked up an Air, but also because I can't see a 12-inch iPad being that marketable at a high price.

I dunno, maybe there would be a market for an ultra-premium iPad?

Musicians and artists come to mind. There are people out there making incredible stuff with creative apps. I've seen amazing artwork done with apps like Procreate, and many professional musicians and audio engineers have put iPads in their workflows. I think Apple would be targeting people like this.

As someone who produces music with my iPad (and doodles with Procreate) I wouldn't mind a larger iPad at all, as long as Apple keeps it below 1.5 pounds, which seems entirely possible with the iPad Air being just 1. A 12" or 13" iPad for home use and a mini for mobile use would be really great. I keep my project files synced between my iPad and iPod touch already via Dropbox, so a two iPad setup would be awesome.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Huh. I've never managed to make Safari (or any app for that matter), do this before:

That's happened to me once before.

Really, Safari is a buggy, crashy pain in the rear end in iOS 7. Apple better fix this poo poo in 7.1.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What's the best app for using the iPad as a second display with a Windows laptop? I'm looking at Air Display 2 but wondering if there's anything better/cheaper.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Marvin is bar none the greatest ereader I've found, and it at least used to be free. It only takes epub files though--so when I get other ones, I convert them with Calibre first.

I got Marvin when it was free, and it definitely is the best option for EPUBs.

Unfortunately I like to have my EPUBs and PDFs all together, so I use iBooks like a scrub.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I messed around with putting movies on an SD card back when I had an iPad 2.

It works for the most part, as long as you name the files correctly, the videos are in iOS friendly format (h264 and AAC), and under 4GB.

You can actually get around the 4GB file size limit by formatting your SD card in HFS+ instead of FAT32.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Full brightness is the way to go outside. Still gets dim in direct sun, but it's useable in shade.

And I guess it's good for you screen spergs.

The only times I've ever turned my iPad's brightness higher than 60% have been either when I'm outside or in a very brightly lit room.

100% brightness is like staring into the sun.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

There'll be an 8.1 update in about a month after Apple's public beta testers scream about the biggest bugs.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model. It's preposterous that it's almost 2015 and not only does Apple persist in offering a paltry 16 GB of flash memory in a $499 tablet, but also charges $100 for 16 more.

App IPAs get more heftier in size with every new hardware/software release that includes new resolutions, and 16 GB just doesn't cut it once you've got more than several largish apps and some music or a couple of movies on your device.

I get that more and more people are using streaming services like Spotify and Netflix instead of keeping media permanently on their device(s), but Apple could at least make the price jump between models less than $100. I know they have no financial incentive to, though, so it won't happen.

I feel like maybe I'm in a serious minority of people who buy the 64 GB model. I use my iPad as my primary device, and currently have only 5 GB free. My biggest space eaters right now are 22 GB of movies, 11 GB of music, 10 GB of music production apps and audio files, and about 3 GB of photos/videos/drawings and their associated apps (VSCO, Snapseed, Filterstorm, iMovie, Procreate and a few others).

I assume most people who buy the 64 GB (or even the 32) model do so to have enough room for games, right?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

What's the best 3rd party web browser? I'm using a retina mini if it matters. I like safari and understand that there are (or were?) certain enhancements that were locked out from 3rd party browsers but it crashes too much after upgrading to 8.

iCab. It has a ridiculously extensive set of features and it's very customizable.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

iPad Air 2 is an awesome upgrade for anyone who skipped the first Air. I skipped it because I wasn't going to shell out another $699 for the same old 1GB RAM. Looks like that paid off. $100 less than last year, too.

iPad mini fan got the finger this year though. A8 supplies must be constrained as hell (plus Apple is cheap).

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Athletic Footjob posted:

It's $100 cheaper if he was after the 64GB or 128GB versions.

Correct.

There's no way I'd buy a 16GB iOS device, and 32GB wasn't cutting anymore so I bought a 64GB iPad 4 when they came out.

Still lovely that the base model is only 16 but at least the upsell is less painful now.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

japtor posted:

Some part leaks showed it, otherwise officially Apple has never mentioned RAM. Someone at the hands on might've installed Geekbench or something by now though.

There's a post with a photo here: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/13/ipad-air-2-a8x-2-gb-ram/

It's still iffy on whether it indeed includes 2GB RAM. Some people are saying Apple would've touted the doubled RAM in the presentation if it indeed has it, but Apple rarely mentions RAM amounts when discussing iOS devices.

I genuinely hope it does have 2GB, but if not, I'll probably upgrade anyway for the CPU increase and weight savings.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone on iOS 8 noticing issues playing videos on the web? Weird buffering issues, glitchy playback, etc?

It even happens in the YouTube app. It'll start to play an HD video, but then stop and display the "buffering" animation, then begin playing after a while, then do it again, over and over until it refuses to play at all. I just tested this with the new Avengers trailer, which is only 2 minutes long, and it stops every 10 drat seconds to buffer.

iPad 4, iOS 8.1, latest YouTube app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

flosofl posted:

Between my 6 plus and how light the rMBP have become, I've been finding myself at a loss with using my iPad lately.

I was using my iPad to make music using some of the great apps that have come out in the past few years (KORG Gadget, Animoog, etc).

Then iOS 8.3 came out and Apple closed off access to the file system from programs like iFunbox, which made transferring and backing up files to and from my laptop painless in comparison to using the lovely, pain in the rear end iTunes file sharing. iFunbox was basically the only thing making using my iPad bearable for some of the things I was using it for.

Now it basically just collects dust.