Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

The Perfect Element posted:

I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me... For the paste few days, about twice a day, and especially on SomethingAwful, just clicking on the link for, say, the next page of a thread will result in my browser being redirected to scummy sites like a 'local slags'. I googled the problem, and it seems quite common, but no one h come up with a solution yet. Apparently this happens on both the ipad and the iPhone, and on chrome or safari. Apple are apparently sticking their fingers in their ears and denying that this is even possible, so no help from them.

Luckily I don't have kids who use the ipad or anything like that, but still, its not a great new feature. Any tips?

Have you tried them on different wifi networks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah, the issue isn't the jot directly, it's particles getting caught between it and the screen.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

fleshweasel posted:

I'm looking at getting an iPad Air 2. Not sure whether to go for 16gb or 64gb. I don't see myself taking photos or video on it. I have an iPhone 6 for that, which I got 64gb for, and I'm using 10gb on it. I have iTunes Match and Photo Stream and Netflix and all that. Don't plan to really play games. I'm contemplating just plunking down the $100 extra anyway so I don't have to worry about it.

Get the 64GB.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Space Racist posted:

The correct answer is own a Mac and a PS4, newbs.

So, for substance - what games should I check out on my shiny Air 2? The last couple App Store games I bought were GTA III and Infinity Blade 2 some 2.5 years ago.

Xcom is pretty cool

and Frozen Synapse. I wonder if the new one will make it's way to iPad.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Selane posted:

They're fairly reliable, but you have to go over them pretty slowly and it's physically impossible to use them one-handed, which makes them practically useless anyway. If you need to use two hands it's almost as fast to just type in a pin.

yeah but at least they got that checkbox on the spec sheet filled in

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Suqit posted:

There seem to be a lot of people complaining about it vibrating a lot when you listen to music on the built-in speakers too loud.

First things first. You need to carefully unbox it and open it up. After you power it on it will guide you through the setup. You should create accounts for the Apple Store so you can download music from iTunes. I recommend getting something with a lot of bass first, but make sure it's something you know well and are intimately familiar with.

Once it's downloaded, open up the music app and it will be there. Then you can turn it up to max volume to really get it vibrating. Then you can bend over and shove it up straight up your rear end.

Replace the OP with this.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Rnr posted:

Some of you keep repeating this. When my parents got their iPad stolen, I locked it on iCloud and told them to take solace in that fact (and that insurance would buy them a new one). However, later to convince myself, I did some basic googling and quickly found many recipes for removing the lock from a device. It would make sense too, I've never talked to anyone who had any luck with tracking their stolen device this way. I dunno, maybe the Romanian robber gangs that crosses our borders are hacking geniuses?

Anyone have more info on this?

Which iPad was it? IIRC in the past couple OS versions and iDevice releases that stuff has been locked down way more tightly.

I had my phone stolen from me at a train station waiting on my brother to pick me up, he was like a 5 minute drive away so I was able to lock my iPhone and apparently they dropped it in the street and some dude picked it up and contacted me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Kinda glad I held off on getting an Air 2. The Pro definitely seems like it'd be more useful for me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The Russians just used a Pencil.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Endless Mike posted:

Definitely going with "or something" if he wants to be hands-free.

Hopefully he doesn't try and sell it on SA- Mart if this is the case,

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mediaphage posted:

If you're hardcore into note taking (like in school or w/e) it probably isn't great but for small notes and sketches the native Notes app is great.

My only qualm with the notes app is I wish it had subfolders for organizing notes. Works great for me otherwise.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

japtor posted:

I was just about to say it did, but then saw the "sub" part. You want folders within the folders then?

Yeah. I keep my college notes in a folder for each class. I'd like to have those folders in a "Spring 2016" folder so I can keep them around without so much clutter in the future.

It looks like you can export notes to PDF though so that should be sufficient for storing old poo poo I may or may not ever reference again.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

fordan posted:

It's activation locked. Generally you won't be able to do anything with it without using the Apple ID associated with it to unlock it or convince Apple to unlock it for you, which they require proof of original purchase for.

On the plus side, the fact that it's only good for parts means iOS devices aren't as desired by thieves. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/11/iphone-theft-activation-lock/

True story: I was mugged at gun point a year ago and they took everything but my iPhone 6. I tend to chalk that up to them overlooking it, but it's funny to think that they saw it and decided "eh, not worth it" :v:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does Apple not offer the Air 2 with 128GB of storage anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Get the one with the warranty.