Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So umm I recycled my Nexus 10. It was awful in every way possible, and the plastic case turned to sticky goo. I thought about ipad yesterday, 380€ 64GB model. Well they released a new one today, 64GB for 600€!!!

Is the new one 60% better or should I just buy the 9th gen model?

Edit: holy crap Gigantti sells the last year's model for 329€. The new ipad pricing makes absolutely no sense at all!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

If it's not your primary media and gaming device, just get the 9th gen. It's not even a meaningful upgrade for digital artists since it's still pencil 1, but even more inconvenient.

I'd mostly browse forums, read news and watch twitch/youtube. I watch tv& movies from living room tv. I don't play mobile games.

With that price difference I'll buy the 9th gen for 329€ lol. It even has 24% VAT included. Android tablets and software have been very lackluster stability and update wise. The ipad should get at least 5 years of updates.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Normally I'd buy only latest hardware, but 329€ vs 599€.. over 80% more :shepspends:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you browse WWW and watch YouTube in ipad btw? Have to run a proxy server in a separate server? Install custom store/apps with PC?

In Android I can just install newpipe and firefox+ublock origin. How to achieve a similar result in iPad? Thanks.

Also seems that custom apps must be signed and you have to pay $20/year for a signing service so you can use custom apps in iPad?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 19, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

oh wait they all suck lmao

Yes, that is the problem. I guess I can run pihole in a docker container and use VPN outside home to connect to pihole.

If it doesn't clear ads from YouTube, it is possible to sideload IPA's with custom YouTube apps. A bit like android APK's.

I'll keep you guys posted! :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks!

Next question is how to setup this. My android finds like 20+ wifi networks. Ipad only one while next to my phone! It's a wrong one and manually adding doesn't seem to work.

Edit: after 25 mins it found another wifi I could connect. This is by worst the absolutely shittiest wifi implementation I've ever seen. How can a wifi only device have so abysmally crappy wifi? Or is this just broken?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 19, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

tuyop posted:

Are you just connecting to a random wifi access point around you?

No. University has many campuses where you can log in with your university un/pw, basically anywhere in the campus area. But the wifi with ipad just refuses to see the networks.

At home wifi seems to work since I have a wifi AP in every ceiling in every room. But that's not a common situation and not something realistic outside my home.

The wifi works but it's hilariously bad at actually detecting any wifi networks next to the ipad. Maybe this poo poo is just broken straight from the box. I've never ran into a situation like this with any other device anywhere...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

tuyop posted:

Yeah I think in my history with Apple mobile devices I had one with networking problems kind of like what you’re describing. Just straight out of the box with lovely bluetooth reception and I think it couldn’t connect to 5Ghz signals, but they were pretty new then iirc. It happens, I’d just swap it out at the Apple store, you’re not having a typical experience.

Thanks. I'll try it again tomorrow when I'm at the campus and if the wifi reception is still as bad as today, I'll go to the shop and explain the problem. It's just super weird that wifi works fine with other devices but ipad struggles to find any networks around it at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One thing I don't understand how the display can be so good on basic ipad. It is ips? and it is one of the best looking displays I've ever seen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ipad 9 got the ipados 16.1 today. Doesn't seem different to 15.7 and I think it is a good idea. I hate how UI and everything can wildly change update to update with Android phones. Android seemingly can't find good UI settings and stick to them.

Speaking of settings, is there any way to get settings to the top right slide down menu? It has all kinds of junk but not the one important thing, quick access to settings from anywhere.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

If you're using an iPad 9th gen, just keep Settings in App Switcher and double-tap the Home button when you need quick access.

Yes, I'm doing that. It's just weird that you can't add the one useful item to the slide down menu.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wtf. The analogue clock icon is animated on my home screen :captainpop:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

OK this is new for iOS 7

They don't have that in the newest Android..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They are widgets, not icons. This is just a regular icon.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tacier posted:

After 8 years with my iPad Air 2, I finally pulled the trigger on an M1 Air.

Can’t believe I got nearly a decade of excellent service out of this thing in the age of planned obsolescence. An all-time great device.

Can’t say the same about Nexus 10. It worked like 2-3 years before it was trash. Turned me away from tablets for many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

:monocle: