Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MicroCenter is selling the 10.5" iPad Pro for $499.99 which is the lowest I've seen it-- might just be around me though (dallas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My friend is considering getting a tablet for typical tablet poo poo. Reading stuff, looking at PDFs, etc. I recommended getting a smaller one so you can more easily read in bed, etc. and he was way on board with that (I showed him my Fire HD 8 and loved the form factor). Is now a good time to get an iPad Mini 4?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was just worried because they're still like $400 still and he might as well wait if he doesn't need a tablet today.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sold out? drat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Proteus Jones posted:

I think Ars or one of the online tech sites pointed to a report that came to the same conclusion but about iDevices in general. Customers just aren't seeing the need for churn every year and it's cut the legs out of hardware sales growth.

Yeah this has been my habit for the last couple years. I'm fairly certain the normal load we put on tablets and phones has been well below the capacity of their processor for a couple generations and I don't see the normal user demanding more processor usage in the future, outside of iOS being weirdly demanding. I mean, what the gently caress are people doing on tablets nowadays that cause problems? My Fire HD 8 does internet browsing, reddit, SA, video playback and other netbook poo poo smoothly and that's basically just a screen attached to a battery and paperclip.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

iOS itself kills older devices but I don't think that's as big of a concern anymore. What's the latest unsupported iPad?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If there was an iPad Mini with the 120Hz screen I'd be so jazzed. I fuckin' love the form factor of my iPad Mini, but the price tag is a little atrocious this far into its cycle. Even used they're expensive. I could spend $200 more and get a Pro, but those is some big screens for reading poo poo on the subway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

iPad mini 4 is still a great device if you can get it for $400ish (mine was a refurb from apple), but it's always supposed to have only been for folks who want that small form factor. Battery is stellar, I play FFXV on it at max settings and have a very smooth experience for like 3-4 hours before I need to charge it. It's still a good buy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: whoops double post

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is real bad, fyi. It’s just an on-rails of the story with none of the open world / driving.

Well it is final fantasy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e.pilot posted:

My mini 4 will be my last mini. I’m just waiting on an iPhone X style iPad to replace it.

Unfortunately I believe it is the last mini.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hello Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I use the 200GB iCloud tier and it’s great value for my needs (100GB Photos library, backups, sharing with family).

This is for sure the best storage for iPhone/iPad. If you have a family, sharing it with them is very easy because 200GB is a FUCKTON of space, and my mother takes photos of every baby and dog she sees.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do they even need WiFi “on the go?” Assuming on the go means in the car or at a restaurant.

If they are like the families near where I live, the parents likely want their kids to just watch YouTube.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the Oasis is crazy expensive

It's the waterproofing apparently? I didn't think waterproofing a device with a single port would cost $130 but here we are. Paperwhite is just as good though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dexter6 posted:

Does iOS 12 bring calculator to iPad? I’ve only been waiting for like ever.

I think the dream of a native calculator app on ipad died with Steve.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can count on my hand the amount of times I wanted to use my iPad in a place that didn't have Wi-fi, and of those times hotspot has always been enough for whatever purpose.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

T-Mobile is so much cheaper and, for me at least, the same level of reliability as Verizon (and better service than AT&T).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pants Donkey posted:

Think the Mini is effectively dead at this point?

God I hope not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

USB-C port, but I'm sure I'll never be able to use a mouse on my iPad which means I'll always need to have a laptop for work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeast posted:

Wired: The entry level iPad Pro 11" has an 8 core processor

Tired: Only the 1Tb storage option model gets 6Gb of RAM

This really is a very big deal (well, for iPad bullshit which is the exact opposite of a big deal), because this is the first time performance changes have been tied to the storage option. Really the 1TB option isn't an iPad Pro its an iPad Pro Pro.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I could use a mouse, I'd actually use my iPad for work. Tapping loving sucks for text/number entry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe facebook will make an ipad app too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endless Mike posted:

Huh? Facebook has an iPad app. They don't have an IG app tho

Yeah, facebook the trillion dollar company can't figure out how to make an ipad app apparently

(they can, they just don't want to because ipads will show how low-quality IG's images/videos are. Though I don't think that's true anymore.)