Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Does anybody have recommendations for a game controller for an iPad? I’ve got a latest generation iPad Air and I’d like to play some of the old final fantasy games and such on it, but the touchscreen controls suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Playstation controllers work flawlessly.

It works real well with the PS app to play games on the PS4 over the network.

Went with the PS controller, largely because that's the only one they had in stock anywhere in the city. So far, it's working great.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The General posted:

I've been an Android person since the start of smartphones, and anti-apple since itunes ate my music collection because I plugged in a brand new ipod. But when looking at tablets Apple really is the only decent option IMHO.

I really wanted to avoid Apple products, but when I started looking at tablets for my mother the iPad just blew everything else out of the water. No contest. Sucks.

Then after setting hers up and playing with it a bit, I broke down and bought one for myself.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I traded in my Air 3 towards an Air 4 because I wanted the Apple Pencil 2 support, and so far I love it. I've only got one real complaint. The pencil doesn't work for swiping up to go home or for some things like swiping left/right on the Awful app to open up the thread list, so AFAIK I need to either carry a second stylus for that stuff or use my oily fingers on the screen. I dislike both of these options.

Is there some way to get the pencil to work for those things, or is there some kind of fiber-stylus cap I can fit on the blunt end of the pencil to just let me flip it around for those things?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How easy to use is Apple’s keychain password manager?

I use 1Password myself and I am happy with it, but I cry inside when I think of teaching my mother to use it. She uses a iPad and iPhone for everything, though, so if it’s secure and easy I may try to set her up on that. I am very tired of having to dig a paper password list out of her safe every time I have to do tech support for her.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’m going to stick with 1Password because I mostly use a pc and an Android phone, but I think I’ll set up Keychain for my mother. She doesn’t have a problem remembering passwords that get used fairly often, so it should work out fine for her. Thanks for the responses.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO you should not add Blippi to it, and when they ask about it you should gaslight them and act like Blippi doesn't exist. Blippi is the worst.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It shows it on my Air 4.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The case I use for my Air4 has a slot on the edge for the magnetic pencil holder/charger, but it also has an elastic pocket on the back that you can slip the pencil into. Doesn't charge there, but it's held more securely and there's less risk of it getting knocked loose.

It's this one here: https://www.amazon.com/ZUGU-CASE-Model-Alpha-Case/dp/B08LF2PYV7. A bit expensive, but I really like the adjustable angles of the stand and the overall construction.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd only do the paperlike protector if you do a lot of drawing on the ipad and think the texture might be helpful for you, because the drawing feel is the only upside a paperlike screen protector has over a normal one. Compared to normal ones they show smudges more, they're a bit harder to clean, and they dull the screen a bit. They're also rougher than regular glass ones, so they will wear out pencil tips a bit faster.

If you're just looking for brand suggestions or the like, I've always had good luck with amFilm tempered glass protectors on all my various electronic devices.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I find the mini to be a sort of awkward size. It's small enough that it doesn't really have a huge advantage over my phone for many things while also being large enough to be significantly less portable than my phone.

Overall I just don't find myself in many situations where I'm wishing for something larger than my phone but smaller than my Air. Reading is probably the only one, and dedicated e-ink e-readers beat every ipad at that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For me the ipad mini sits in a weird sort of spot between a phone and a full sized tablet where I just don't see a reason for it. The only thing the form factor really excels at is reading books, and it's not even the best at that. A full-sized tablet is going to be better for reading PDFs or comics or other things with preset page sizes, and an e-ink reader is always going to be the better choice for reading epubs and the like.

For everything else, it's either a case of "The extra size is nice, I guess, but I could just use my phone and save the money" or "It works okay, I guess, but a full sized tablet would really be more convenient."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CheshireCat posted:

Don't know if it is $130 better than going into the office, printing out forms, signing them, and scanning them back in.

How far are you from the office? For me going into work is about 1 to 1.5 gallons of gas, so it can add up surprisingly quick.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snowy posted:

Cool thank you :)

Is there a preferred 3rd party case that works with the 2nd gen pencil? My cheapskatedness prevents me from buying apple cases

It depends on what you want out of your case. I've been really happy with this one, but I specifically don't want a keyboard case. I'm usually not typing enough to justify one, and if I do need to do a lot of typing on my ipad I keep a ~$10 bluetooth keyboard in my travel bag with my chargers and whatnot. The case lets the pencil magnetically cling to the side of the tablet for charging and storage, but it's also got a little sleeve on the back for it for times when you want a more secure storage option. The stand mode is way more stable than the "fold the top into a triangle" cases and it's got a lot more possible angles.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snowy posted:

SA browsing is luxurious.

Are you using the app? You should try it if you haven't.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pencil 2 is a million times more convenient because it charges magnetically when you attach it to the side of the iPad, so you never actually have to think about charging it. Pencil 1 has a loving lightning connector on the top of the pencil and you have to plug it into the iPad and leave it loving hanging off the end of the tablet to charge it, and then you have to worry about hitting it and damaging the connector while it’s charging.

If you can afford it and you’re serious about using it for art, spring for the Pencil 2 capable stuff imo, the convenience is well worth the extra money.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How often do you think you'll actually use the keyboard if you get it? Where will you be when you're using the keyboard?

Personally, I find that all of my keyboard needs are handled by a ~$15 bluetooth keyboard that I just keep in my backpack.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems like the pencil being there causes a lot of the issues, really.

It's this, really. The pencil has to magnetically attach to to the side of the ipad to charge, and that means you either get a flimsy side it can charge through or a weird finicky pencil holder thing.

I've got the zugu case for my Air4 and I like it. The sidewalls on the side mounted pencil slot are thick enough and come up high enough to offer a decent amount of drop protection along that edge, and the stand is great as long as you don't want to stand it up in portrait mode. Way better than that "fold the cover into a triangle" nonsense most cases use.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you think that she’ll want a pencil someday, just go right for the Air4 or another Pencil2 capable one, imo. The pencil2 is such a huge quality of life upgrade over the pencil1 that it’s ridiculous.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I bought it just for general use and don't really feel that bad about it. It's an expensive luxury item, yeah, but I use it so much that I don't feel bad about spending the extra money on it. I tried the cheaper Amazon knockoffs and had all of them fail on me, and the ones like the Logitech crayon cost enough that I'd rather just pay the extra and get the nice Apple one that magnetically charges and fits in the side slot on my case and all that nice little quality of life stuff.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

anyways, does anyone use their ipad as an ebook reader? how quickly do your eyes get tired reading from it?

As long as I use dark mode with white text on a black background, no eye strain at all. The ‘normal’ black text on white, pretty quickly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like the iPad for reading sometimes because the bigger screen means I can take off my glasses and crank the font size up without getting reduced to a sentence per page turn.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Anyone use Orion?

"Orion turns iPad into your portable external HDMI Monitor"

It's free but you need a USB-C HDMI capture card.

I got a cheap capture card to try using it as a display for my Switch and it works pretty well so far. I'm not sure how fast it'll drain the ipad battery, though, and I haven't worked out how to get passthrough charging working with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I traded my air3 in towards an air4 at the Apple Store and they applied the credit towards the purchase immediately, no waiting required. IIRC they powered it up and checked the screen, but I think that’s all they did.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I use it as a QR code scanner, mostly. Sometimes cat pictures.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hatty posted:

Its good for scanning documents in a pinch

Completely forgot about this. I’ve used it for this quite a bit, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The case I’ve got on my iPad has a slot for magnetic charging, but it’s also got a stretchy fabric slot for it on the back that holds it much more securely. I keep the pencil on the magnetic slot the vast majority of the time, but if I’m worried about it getting jostled around it’s nice to have the more secure option.