Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s expensive, but I’m loving the poo poo out of the Magic Keyboard. It’ll charge the tablet through its USB port but has no battery of its own, it’s got backlit keys that feel nice, it’s sturdy. I use it for literal laptop use on the couch all the time and I’m still over 60WPM.

I’m using the 12.9” and it’s excellent. No problems since I got it in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been using a Goruck of some kind for 8 years, and it’s got a padded laptop zip pocket and sleeve one on the other size.

Apparently insufferable people use these backpacks for some kind of outdoor thing, but I’ve only had to talk to two of those in the 8 years of having this.

I’m basically a gorilla to my equipment, though, so if you’re not especially hard on your stuff it may not be worth the price of admission both monetarily and psychically.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That shouldn’t be a problem — if the USB-C cable can’t make a higher power connection handshake, then it defaults to 5V at 2.5A maximum.

Might be worth taking it in if you have a store or micro center nearby.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not sure if this is the right place, but I recently swapped over to Safari on my iPhone and iPad. I’m digging the experience so far, but it doesn’t have a ad blocker built in — any recommendations for extensions? My usual uBlock Origin doesn’t seem like it’s in the mix.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

serebralassazin posted:

Wipr is good set it and forget it type. 1blocker is good if you like to customize.

Perfect, I’ve got ‘em loaded in and running. Thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I really enjoy using scribble, but is there a way to increase the text field when that’s active? It really hampers my ability to shitpost with handwriting because it’s all the way at the bottom of the page for discord.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We gotta abolish private property and starting with making your work iPad personal property is as good a start as any.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

xzzy posted:

I've finally switched to doing all my creative stuff on the ipad.. it's just more fun to do stuff than on my big boy windows desktop. The array of apps available now is pretty incredible too, and cheaper than traditional desktop software.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe fewer distractions? The pencil is just that good? I haven't figured it out but the result is the same.

When I need to actually buckle down and do something, I’m usually trying to do it on my iPad Pro. There’s occasional things where I need Bigputer, but between work messages and multiple monitors, it’s hard to actually get anything done.

There’s some limitations, but yeah single tasking at a single very good screen does wonders for me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

xzzy posted:

I'd never get any work done trying to make sure the chain was spiraled in a perfect circle.

I’ve never felt so seen

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah my M2 iPad Pro is still such a champ. I don’t think I’ve ever even thought about its performance, it still just sails through everything I do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I super want a mini. I adore my M2 Pro 12.9, but I more or less use it as a laptop and mobile CAD device. Having a quick note jotting device would be so rad.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Well Played Mauer posted:

I downsized to the mini recently (from an M1 Pro) and have been really digging it. I kinda miss 120 hz but for reading RPG sourcebooks in bed and poopsocking Slay the Spire, it more than fits my needs at a form factor that’s way easier to manage. Just perspective from the small screen crowd.

I’m thinking about picking up a mini as a companion device to my 12.9” M2 Pro because I’m a colossal idiot???

I love my Pro, but having something smaller for notes and sketches at meetings would be nice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

I also have a 12.9 pro, I also have considered this, and to emphasize, I am also a colossal idiot.

I will say, I had the mini for years before the Pro, so it is something I have had a preference for.

Perhaps we’re simply people colossal idiots of culture and good taste?

I mean if your 12.9 is a laptop replacement rather than a media device I could see a use case. Or if you just hate having money.

Yeah, I’m using it more or less as a laptop replacement. Having a single screen I can work productively on without getting constantly distracted by my own shitforbrains is really nice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean, a mini could be a good companion there but unless you’re looking for extreme portability I don’t think you’re getting a huge improvement to your lifestyle. I use mine for poo poo posting, reading, and light gaming so the M1 11” was a complete (beautiful) waste on me.

M2 12.9 is generally used for CAD work and articles. In addition to being a colossal idiot I have clinical Donkey Brain and have a hard time staying on task with my full desktop or work laptop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

The keyboard is for stupid people, with more brand loyalty than sense.

If you want a keyboard, buy a MacBook.
If you want a touchscreen laptop, buy a Windows machine.

Buy something that's fit-for-purpose in the first place.

Magic keyboard hwips rear end, sorry you lead a joyless life (unless it’s a money thing then let’s go frag oil infrastructure)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think it’s fun :saddowns:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The pencil also rules, probably my favorite input device ever?? Why are y’all buying things that you don’t need or want?

The pencil rules in CAD software, too. It’s really nice in both Onshape and 3D Creator.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Most recent Apple Pencil basically stays permanently affixed to my 12.9” Pro in its intended spot without any problems FWIW.

I use it maybe 30% of the time I’m using the tanker (trying to use the pencil more) but it’s not really a hassle if it comes off in my backpack because I can just reattach it.

Definitely a substantial upgrade over the first version and both add basically the only stylus I’ve ever felt are worth using.

If it’s a regular input device, you’ll be in a really good place. If you’re storing it in a drawer for weeks at a time, why did you buy it in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

0% interest on the Apple Card for Apple devices which is nice