Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ezrem posted:

20% off + free shipping coupon (CCJULY4) for the 4th of July weekend brings this bad boy down to $135.

I am sorely tempted, as this would allow me to ditch the smart cover + back cover I've used for a long while, and give me a lot more control over the screen angle. Plus a great looking keyboard!

The thing that sucks about accessories though is that the minute a new device comes out and you upgrade they are usually useless. You probably wouldn't get much resale value on it compared to the ipad itself. Sometimes I think it would be pretty profitable to get into the accessory business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Nihiliste posted:

I just hope both iPads get it. I figure they will.

The iPhone 5C doesn't have the fingerprint sensor so there could be a chance the mini doesn't if it remains the budget iPad

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

I've always found the full-sized iPad to be too big to type on, but it probably depends on how you use your iPad. If you rest it on a surface and type on it like a normal keyboard, the full-size seems like it would be better. I don't think I've ever used mine that way though. The Mini seems like it would be much better for thumb typing, which is how I normally use mine.

Edit: and if you're using a bluetooth keyboard with your iPad, I imagine you must be using it in the first way I described.

I think if they redid it like they did the iPhone and made it way lighter it might make typing easier. I don't do too much typing on mine though, its more for games/movies/tv

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQT653G/

Amazon currently has this on sale

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Selklubber posted:

It was a serious question! Maybe she was angry because I asked if she was an alien.

Don't ask a lady about her measurements

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm thinking about swapping out my 32GB "New iPad" (3rd gen?) for a 128GB Air 2. I see best buy has them on sale, and target has a 10% off coupon through their cartwheel app, but there is an announcement today. Guess I'll find out in a few hours if there are any surprise updates. Was going to check the refurb price on the apple store but the site is down for the event.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Alight. Just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air 2 wifi for $600, and can go pick it up in store at best buy later today.

The applecare plus, do you have to go through apple to order it?

I'm on the fence about it cause I had it on my last iPad but I bought that from apple and never needed it. I forgot to add it to my iPhone 5S but never damaged that either. I always get applecare for laptops because I make them last longer and they cost 3 times as much. If this thing breaks in a couple years it just gives me an excuse to upgrade again.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

tuyop posted:

You are the perfect case for arguing against low-value insurance. GJ subsidizing replacements for all the clumsy/unlucky users, I guess!

Though I'm pretty sure I've messed up not getting AC+ on my MBA. Thing is loving haunted and has had basically every component on it repaired at this point, and it just broke again. It's spent like five weeks in the Apple Store altogether.

I have had various MacBooks have entire logic boards replaced, the whole top case w/ keyboard on one, ram. After seeing what the bill would have been I got my moneys worth on that. An iPad they are just going to swap it out but its more for accidental damage which these devices don't seem to prone to and I usually carry them in a padded case or bag.

Speaking of which... I just realized I had the magnetic cover thing on my previous iPad and now I need to decide if I need a new one. I have this bag http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Generation-Display/dp/B005D81IBO (Really good quality stuff if anyone needs something like that) and a plastic stand I usually use, so I'll probably skip the cover for a while and decide later.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm jumping on the Best Buy deal to get a 64GB Air 2 myself.

Does Best Buy give a poo poo if you trade in an iPad with an engraving? I can get $100 from them or so for my 16GB third gen iPad, and honestly I don't think anyone is going to pay more than that on Craigslist since I was stupid and got my name engraved on it.

Sounds like their policy doesn't mention it, so I guess its worth a try:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Other-Customer-Service-Support/Trade-in-engraved-iPad/td-p/864595

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Mein Eyes! posted:

On the off-chance that no one has posted this yet, the AmazonBasics tablet stand is loving awesome. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes to read PDFs or other vertical format documents, or for students looking to take notes while reading books on their iPads.

I've had that one for a few years and love it. There were a few other sellers offering it under brand names like Arkon before Amazon started selling it. I've taken it with me when I travel and sometimes use it with the kindle as well (putting the device laying on its side while I read before bed).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you start wanting to play games and want to grab ones that take advantage of the graphics power of the device the space starts adding up. 560MB for bastion, 660MB for Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, 630MB for Hearthstone. Infinity Blade II and Horn are both slightly over 1GB... all those can add up if you like to load up your games just in case you are in the mood to play one and might not have a good network available to grab them on a whim.
Some hotels I have stayed at had lovely wifi that I could barely load a single one of those. Between that and all the storage I was having for music production apps and audio they produce I ended up filling up 32GB by being a hoarder and just went and bought a 128GB model this time around. (Oh but I bought it on sale at best buy for like $600, otherwise I would have waited)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

maduin posted:

I say this as someone who uses an iPhone, iPad, and Mac, but gently caress iOS is ugly as hell.

Its a bunch of app icons in a grid with a user defined background. What would make it better?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I actually just shove everything into groups and half the time I forget where I put an app and use the search feature every since that got added.

I have too many drat apps.

Maybe some new design could be made up, but it doesn't look dated at least like aqua/brushed metal/pinstripes. Looking back at things over time, I don't think they really ever completely overhauled the entire look of icons and design elements other than OS 9 --> OS X. Its more of a gradual change instead of confusing everyone. I could take or leave the icons, but when they drastically change the color of it that throws me off because most of the time when I am using the icons I don't read the text, I quickly pick them up visually.

I wonder what it would look like if they allowed transparencies and didn't force it to rounded squares. On the mac at least most of the good apps have a nice looking icon. They tend to follow being a circle of some sort with a logo or they look more like a physical object and aren't flat, or they are angled at the same degree. Getting developers of 99 cent games to follow any kind of design suggestions though would be a nightmare.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
On the pro models, could I plug in something like my Zoom h2n audio device with like an OTG cable that has USB-C, or is it gonna need a hub or apple adapter?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

It *might* work as a USB mic. I'm guessing it's how it presents itself over USB. If you don't need to load drivers to get it to work as a USB mic under Windows or macOS it might work?

For instance I have no problem hooking a Behringer audio interface directly into the USB C port and it "just works*. Both inputs work as LINE-IN and the Headphone* and monitor jacks work as well.

* - One annoyance is that while plugged in ALL audio output goes to the Behringer. There is no option in iOS to choose an output device.

It has a usb mode which sounds similar in function and it advertises it self on my Mac as generic usb audio so it probably will just work. I’ve use it as mic and headphone on my Mac. In the past for my iOS devices I used my iRig Pro for plugging in guitar. The zoom would be cool though cause it has the built in mic and you can mount it on a mini tripod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm waiting till hopefully refurb models get added to apple's website for the pro, so just planning right now. Kinda weird the macrumors buying guide has neutral for 11" but 12.9" says buy now https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/