Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have a jot and it definitely caused a bunch of scratches on my screen. I don't use a protector. The scratches aren't huge or like super deep or something, but I can tell you they don't "buff out" as I don't think I've used the jot for a couple of years now and all those jot scratches are still there!

It's not an issue of the plastic disc "causing" the scratch directly. But think about it logically, just from stuff in the air/whatever, from time to time there may be crap that lands on your screen that has the capability to scratch it. But your finger's skin is flexible and not an entirely flat surface, so even if you happen to swipe across the scratch-causing particulate, the chances of your finger itself pressing down on it with enough pressure to drag and keep it pressed against the screen is pretty low. But with the jot, you've got a hard plastic surface evenly applying pressure, so anything "caught" underneath the disc is definitely going for a bit of a high-friction ride around the screen.

Everyone's mileage may vary of course, I know how hard the screen is to scratch, and maybe just because I live in a place with lovely air pollution there's more gross/hard stuff landing on my screen randomly, but I can 100% say it happened to me. Which is a shame, since the jot is probably the best stylus, although another caveat to consider is just how noisy it is, banging a hard plastic thing with a metal back onto glass is a lot noisier than those mushy tipped styluses. The jot definitely beats them in accuracy, though, and it just looks good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

WeAreDevo posted:

Or is it really just one of those stupid Apple things, like how they can innovate some incredible, wonderful new features but at the same time completely drop the ball on a few essentials such as a keyboard shortcut for "send"?

Yeah, they innovated a new incredible device and operating system that is based around touch. Keyboard support is incredibly edge-case, and this is coming from someone who occasionally does use a keyboard to do longer writing on his iPad. It's basically meant to just help you enter text faster and more precisely, and that's it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have no idea what they go for, but I think you're actually talking about an "iPad 3", though as far as I know neither the iPad 3rd or 4th generation were ever officially numbered.

The "iPad 3" was "the new iPad", and then the "iPad 4" was labeled the same, it introduced the lightning connector. Then the Air brings us to the current gen, at least for the full-sized iPads. I think. :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You're talking about using an onscreen keyboard, right? I can't speak for everyone, but I definitely had to adjust my typing anyway when using iOS' onscreen keyboard, even when using my native language and keyboard layout.

I can see it being a legitimate complaint, but it totally is an edge case whether or not you want to accept it. Go sperg out on Android if you absolutely must have your edge case needs met, or be like the rest of us cool kids and just deal with it, probably by spending like 5 minutes to learn how to get used to using the other layout.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry, but that seems like the dumbest question in the world to ask this thread. Do you expect us to tell you that you missed some hidden feature that will suddenly make it all worthwhile?

For some, it's definitely worth the money. No one else can really tell you whether or not it's worth it for you.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep, it's kinda weird that I saw it as "good" too. I was forced into buying a Retina mini (i.e. I needed a new tablet to replace my gone iPad 2) mid-cycle, which I've never done with an iOS device before. Pretty cool that I don't have an outdated device at all compared to the current offerings other than that it doesn't have a touch ID. Frankly, I set the passcode lock time on my iPad to be an hour, with my iPhone I'm much stricter since I could lose my phone while out and about but my iPad mostly stays at home anyway. No big deal to not have a fingerprint sensor. :shobon:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Like it or not, Apple's solution is: get a Mac.

In an environment (such as work) where you're forced to not use a Mac? Get a Mac.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

kitten smoothie posted:

The iPad 2 will take iOS 8; the Mini 1 is still basically an iPad 2 under the hood and they're still selling it brand new.

His point was even though an iPad 2 will take iOS 8, the "hey Siri" feature is not enabled. Which isn't entirely true, because Siri doesn't even exist on iPad 2, so it's not really a matter of enabling or disabling a new iOS 8 feature. iPad 3 was the first iPad with Siri if I recall correctly.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Why, are you hoping you can make a total "profit" on them by flipping all five of them in two weeks?

It's kind of a ridiculous suggestion that Costco doesn't sell things individually. I don't know about the iPad Air cover specifically but since he didn't mention having to buy 20 of them at a time, I would assume he actually meant 1 is $25, not 3 for $75.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Shumagorath posted:

the Surface line selling well*† ‡

*† ‡compared to its totally dismal launch, still a drop in the bucket even when compared with flagging iPad sales

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Updated just fine on my Mini 2 V:shobon:V

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It only happened to me for one specific album and the rep actually gave me a $20 iTunes credit when I complained and said that I could use that to just buy the explicit version off iTunes to make sure the correct one was in my Match library. I still canceled the service because it seemed like a real janky solution to me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It owns. I even bought it on the Mac.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iPads have Magsafe now? drat.

Even if you meant Lightning, he already mentioned cleaning it out :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

bobfather posted:

What are the odds we think that if I bring problems 1-5 to Apple through bug reports that they give a flying gently caress about any of it?

0. Who cares, it'll all be completely different in a year anyways. Change all the time is good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use it to write Chinese erryday, OP.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Congrats on scamming the system! 👍

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I feel the exact opposite. I chug along with satisfactory performance for a lot longer on iPads than iPhones. I still use my old Mini 2 all the time, I just mostly upgraded to the Pro because I wanted to have a big screen once in a while and also to use it more as a laptop replacement.

Heck, my iPad 2 still seems serviceable, shame about it not being upgradable to a non-ancient version of iOS.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sounds like trading one whole set of problems for another.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization to "off."

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have never seen that bar on my 10.5" Pro with Smart Keyboard. Thanks iOS 11.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Apple: We don't know what we're doing with iPad multitasking for several years running.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm an international user with three different languages' keyboards installed. I don't really care where they put either button, but why in the hell isn't there consistency between its location on an iPhone and iPad? That's what's irritating to me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, but you have to pause kind of slightly or else it will just close the app or something except sometimes it doesn't? It's a pretty amazingly bad set of gestures that are difficult to even describe to another person. RIP apple.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I can pull up the dock without bringing up the multitasking or closing the current app right now as I type this very post. It's not enough.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes please fix it for me.

I guess pause is inaccurate, but it's definitely a slowdown. A "flick" compared to a slower swipe produces different results for me, even if they're done to the exact same height from the bottom of the screen. The faster one tends to return to the home screen, the slower one tends to open up the multitasking, but again, it feels inconsistent (and not to mention unintuitive) to me.

Please don't take this as an attack on the sanctity of iOS 12's iPad gestures if such a thing offends you :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Seriously. I was just checking out what was available because, even though I love my iPad Pro, I still use my old mini 2 for reading in bed, given its size and weight it's basically a Kindle for me, but does other things too, which is good. But the battery is starting to go, so I was looking at upgrading/refreshing. I knew Apple hadn't updated the line in a while, but I was like, "Eh, maybe I can get a Mini 4 for cheap, then," but it's seriously more expensive than the goddamn entry-level iPad from this year. Super hard to justify.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Right, the storage thing does explain the price slightly, and I fully understand why if they're only gonna make one model they might as well make it the one that will pretty much satisfy everyone's storage requirements. But still, I wouldn't actually be using any more storage than the entry-level 9.7" offers so to justify a purchase of a Mini 4, for me, it's a bit of a moot point.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there a reason you don't want to just leave it in DND? I do that with my iPads. If you turn that setting on which still lets notifications appear when unlocked, the device pretty much functions normally when you're using it, aside from the little moon icon in the status bar.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Last Chance posted:

You don't see notifications pop up when using it in DND mode? They show up on the lockscreen, but won't "ding" you.

the way I understood it, op wanted something that was only silent/no notifications only when they weren't using it.

You do see and hear them as usual if you have the setting for DND to only apply when the screen is locked, as I said.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have a first gen that definitely disconnects (and presumably goes to low power mode?) when it has been stationary for a while. Not too good for carrying around in a bag or whatever though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm seeing your posts in split screen right now.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's always been a setting that you could toggle off. Whether or not it's turned on or off by default, I couldn't tell you since I've always had it off since iMessages launched.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Hughlander posted:

List product on ebay, at checkout say, "To purchase send me a check."

It's a pretty silly comparison to the App Store, but anyway, thanks for making me feel old because I can remember a time when this (or a postal money order) was pretty much the only way to actually purchase things on eBay.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is it really compatible with iOS? I don't have a Pro 2 but I never got my SN30 Pro to work with iOS. Looking at their site it doesn't have iOS listed under the compatibility section.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
This may be kind of a pain in the rear end because it creates duplicates (I think) of files that you're already saying are too big, but I just tested this for photos (not videos) and it worked:

In the Photos app, hit "Share" on your videos, in the list of actions there should be "Save to Files." (If it's not there, you may need to enable it from the "Edit Actions..." menu at the bottom of the Share pop-up.) Choose a place in the Files app to save it, and voila, it will make a copy in the files app that displays the file size. Mission...accomplished?

edit: re-reading your updating to your original post, it seems like you've tried this, but you're still having a problem because the compression app and Dropbox can't access anything but Photos. However, couldn't you just use this method to see the file size and then share the original (still in the Photos app) to Dropbox? Not sure if I'm totally understanding.

double-edit: I can save to Dropbox from the Files app using the same Share Action dialog. So I'm not sure what the hangup would be to this method, other than the aforementioned (but temporary) duplication of storage-consuming videos.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 15, 2021

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I had this problem recently as well, only on shows I was rewatching. I saw there was an update just released today, haven't had time to test it out though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS and iPad OS come with an on-screen keyboard as part of the stock OS to facilitate ease of typing, no app install required! Apple, it just works™. HTH, op.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The iPad ecosystem is seriously such a mess. Still pumping out new products that only support Gen 1 pencils nearly 4 years after Gen 2 was introduced. "We literally removed the port this accessory was built around... hmm, oh well, just use make 'em buy an adapter."

Love the naming conventions for the keyboards, too. Do I need a Magic Keyboard, Magic Keyboard Folio, Smart Keyboard, or Smart Keyboard Folio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Farking Bastage posted:

Yes, my bad. As of right now, I feel like I have a bad gen one pencil. I cannot get it to to be seen even if I put it direct into an iphone's thunderbolt port. I don't have a thunderbolt equipped ipad around to fully test, but I've verified that all cables and connections are capable of carrying voltage and a signal.

Assuming you're still using "Thunderbolt" instead of "Lightning" even right after acknowledging your mistake... I'm not sure what you're expecting by plugging it into the iPhone's lightning port. Nothing happening there is the expected behavior.

A bit hard to troubleshoot this with all the confused terminology. Are you sure you're using the right adapter? The pencil should have two in the box, one that's lightning to lightning and a lightning to USB-C. Using the latter and connecting it to your iPad to initially pair is all you really need to do. You can use the lightning-to-lightning adapter for charging if you've got lightning cables around (i.e. for the aforementioned iPhone).