Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks great! Thanks for posting the new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, I think.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

What a crock of poo poo that they're already cutting features out for the 3rd gen iPad. I understand 2 generations old iPhones, as those are 2 years old and are on the "Hey maybe you rubes should upgrade" train. But the 3rd gen iPad? That's a little over a loving year old. The 4th gen is essentially an iPad 3.5. Airdrop going to be on the Mini & the 5th gen Touch, both of which are less powerful than the 3rd gen iPad.
It has nothing to do with power. The 3rd gen iPad doesn't have the new network chipset to support AirDrop.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 11, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I guess I never posted it in this thread because the beta wasn't out for the iPad yet, but please don't derail this thread with iOS 7 chat.

We have a dedicated iOS 7 thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hypersleep posted:

This was bought less than a year ago. If I bring the cable to the Apple Store, will they give me a replacement?
Probably.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought they would be doing iPads as well today. Have their been rumors for a later launch?
October.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Does commentary on the ethical business practices of tech companies operating in China belong in this thread?
Absolutely not. I can't believe you guys responded to that idiotic post.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New iPads in October: A7 architecture, fingerprint sensor, and God willing a bump to 32GB as the base spec. 16GB is too small for an iPad in 2014.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd survive on 16gb if it was an LTE model and everything I did on it was cloud based.
Buy more apps.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mac2Sell is garbage and is in no way based on reality.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I would be surprised if they continue to sell new ones, but refurbs should be available for awhile.
That or keep an eye on SA-Mart.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

They might offer a 128GB option at a $100+ premium over the current lineup
They already do. It was added to the lineup back in January.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

The big question is what the new mini will get, I think it will basically get the current iPad's guts w/retina display naturally.
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put A7 in the Mini instead of the A6X. A6X is a comparatively massive (read: expensive) chip and A7 already has more GPU power than it. You wouldn't even need a theoretical A7X to drive the display, and it gets you a 64-bit SoC and better power efficiency.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.
They could still do an A7X for the higher-margin 10" SKU, especially if they're going to make a big push on games with the MFi controllers and such.

edit: But I really wouldn't be surprised if they just did A7 across the board. The GPU could definitely handle driving an iPad's retina display, even if it wouldn't be the massive performance jump we saw in previous generations.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 17, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

edit: ^^^^^^ I'm almost willing to bet they'll have an A7X on the regular iPad, there's no way they put an iphone processor in there.
But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

The most likely outcome would be an A7X using a PowerVR G6630, which is ~50% faster than the G6430 in the A7. I guess we'll have to see what they do in a week or so. I'm still thinking that A7 (especially in the Mini) is entirely possible.

Also it's really odd that we don't have logic board leaks yet to put this all to rest.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Also there's no leaks of the front of the next iPad yet, so I'm wondering if they'll have the fingerprint reader.
The supposed front of the iPad did leak already and the hole for the button was cut out in a manner consistent with the 5S' Touch ID sensor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

He mentions in his post that he has the new XCOM already.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Event thread is open.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPad event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're back. Retina Mini starting at $399. iPad Air at $499. Both using A7.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smr posted:

The lack of Touch ID in either high-end iPad is a bit puzzling.
That's honestly the biggest surprise for me. I sort of expected A7 across the board when Anand pointed out that it has more GPU horsepower than A6X.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Keeping the iPad2 around at 399 is kind of offensive honestly
And if people don't buy them then I'm sure they'll remove it from the lineup. Please don't get insulted by products on shelves. :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd downsize to an iPad Mini if I wasn't using my iPad 4 for textbooks so much.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a link or thread that summarizes the new iPad features?
http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/features/

?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Will the Apple stores have the new models on display before Nov. 1?
Will the Apple Stores have a product on display that isn't available to purchase yet? I highly doubt it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I had no problem walking into Best Buy and buying my iPad 3 and an Apple TV 3 in the late afternoon (~4 PM I think) of day one; and that was a third-party retailer which usually receives far less stock.

You'll probably be fine, but if they have in-store pickup as an option you might as well check stock before you go in.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Mac pro
Macbook pro

These computers are for pros and marketed to pros. Pros are for professionals.
Well, except the for 13" Pro which is their best-selling laptop and the most popular with students, sure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You're trying to apply some really strict market segmentation to products that overlap several segments. I'm not sure why that's so important to you and I don't think it'll dictate what products Apple brings to market, but whatever.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Whereabouts do you live? I've found in SF and the Bay Area lines were enough to deplete the first day's stock of iThings, and the following days were a wash.

Certainly not calling you false, but I think it's area dependent.
Orange County, CA. Probably the only place rivaling the Bay Area for iDevices per capita. Our stores down here get tons of stock.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool. Enjoy your new iPad.

It was a deal-breaker for me though. I think it's extremely useful. I hate typing my PIN in every time.
Yeah I'm extremely spoiled by Touch ID on my 5S and was considering upgrading my iPad 4 if the new model had Touch ID. Thankfully Apple made the decision for me and I'll just wait until next year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My iPad 4 had a wake-lock or something today, which I've never encountered before in iOS. I had it in my bag all day, went to use it at ~5 PM and the thing was warm and had burned it's battery down 70%. It shouldn't have had any apps backgrounded either because it was freshly rebooted when I tossed it in my bag this morning.

I turned it off and will have to play around with it tonight and see if I can figure out what was going on based on the logs, but it was bizarre to say the least.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you use some sort of cover to it?

When I travel with mine, I stick it in a backpack as well. I use a Smart Cover, and it seems that as the bag moves around, it unlocks/locks the iPad repeatedly every time it gets jostled. I noticed my battery went down a big quicker than normal when it does this.
It's a Smart Cover, but it's in a tablet pouch in my bag that'll keep it from opening. There's no way it could have been woken up by the Smart Cover.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on what it does tomorrow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tacier posted:

I'm surprised so many people want touch ID in their iPads. My iPad stays at home 99% of the time, so I don't need the security since it's not going to be falling into the wrong hands unless someone breaks into my apartment.
iCloud Keychain requires a device lock, I believe.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, just a code to activate it on the device.
I guess it's only if you want this feature turned on (which I do):

quote:

How does iCloud Keychain handle websites that do not allow Safari AutoFill?

You can allow Safari to remember and autofill account names and passwords for all websites:

Devices using iOS 7.0.3 or later :
Go to Settings > Safari> Passwords & Autofill.
Turn on Always Allow. To use this feature, you must have a passcode lock on your device.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

a really thin device with a Smart Cover might be cool if the skin is enough protection.
This is what I did with my iPad 3 and 4 and I find it a really nice solution.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Have you tried rebooting? That fixes basically every springboard/icon issue I've ever encountered.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Anyone post about the Target trade in deal?

targettradeinprogram.com posted:

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.

* Visit TargetTradeInProgram.com for store hours, locations and to see if your iPad qualifies for the offer. To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched.
If you have an old rear end original iPad I think it's a good deal...or if you have a newer one and you're too lazy to sell another one through other means even if you could get more. I did it today with my brother's old original (with two dents on the back!) and my 3rd gen, took a few minutes and got a $400 gift card. Don't need to bring anything other than the iPads themselves, the guy just checked the buttons and model number or something in Settings. I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.
This is perfect! My grandma wants to replace her iPad 1 with a new Retina Mini when they come out, so I'll have her head to Target this week and trade in her old one for store credit. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hasters posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do this anymore. I was in line behind someone buying a Visa gift card the other day and when the cashier rung it up the screen flashed something like "Item cannot be purchased with Target gift card" and she had to acknowledge it before she could ring anything else up.
You screwed up your quote and confused the hell out of me because I never typed that. :confused: