Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Weirdly, Apple started signing IOS 6.1.3 for the iPad2 again.
I just restored my kid's iPad to it. Only about half their apps work, and I'm probably going to have to upgrade it back to 9.3.5, but holy poo poo, everything is so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Is there directions on how to do this? I would love to just have a fast working ipad for Safai only with my old iPad 2`

ipsw.me

I don't know how well old Mobile Safari will work though.
Safari on El Cap is barely supported anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Colonel J posted:

I have a friend who uses an iPad for campfire guitar chords, and I bought a cheap iPad off kijiji to do the same. The chords are in text files on dropbox.

I did zero research as I thought this would be simple. I got an iPad 2 for cheap, but apparently you now need iOS 10 for the dropbox app, and the 2 runs 9.3..something max.

What's the simplest way I could get this to work? Do I need to jailbreak the thing? I just need to sync a few thousand text files in a folder somewhere in a dropbox.

Do you really need syncing or will it be enough to get the files onto the iPad and then it will be fine?

I'd suggest downgrading the iPad to IOS6, getting an old version of GoodReader or something on there, then syncing those files over manually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IOS9 works on the App Store just fine.

Dumb suggestion but have you tried turning it off and on again? Seriously.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Evis posted:

It is still possible. (Though I’m not sure for the 2018 phones)

No it isn't. iTunes will tell you to turn off Find My iPhone on the device and you won't be able to without authenticating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Do you still need a computer with iTunes to activate an iPad? Something in my pc just poo poo the bed, probably the graphics card I don’t know, and I have no idea when I’ll get it fixed

You don't even need an active SIM to activate an iPhone anymore, thankfully.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

fadam posted:

EDIT: turns out it wasn't a big deal. I tried to add ten bucks to my account, and when they saw that was the first activity after 9 years of dormancy they just put a hold on it. I called in and got everything resolved.

Huh, what a stupid error message then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Thanks! Good to know!

Last dumb rear end question:
It could just be that this is what happens to devices that sit unused, but it seems like every time we go to use it*, it’s dead. Is there any other metric I should be considering as a possible ailment?

*Months at a time maybe this is normal that it would be dead?

You're not trying to leave it on for months unused, are you?

If you turn it off, it should last quite a while.
If you know that you're not going to use it for a while, you should ideally get it down between 60-80% charge before you turn it off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Troubleshooting my mom's older ipad: on facebook comments when you press the spacebar two spaces get inserted, I'm not sure if there is some kind of setting that is doing this or not, googling just brings up stuff about double tapping space for a period.

Is it possible that there's a text expansion/substitution for space -> spacespace?
Sounds like a prank...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bought an Air2 when it was new and that was a pretty good buy.

I have an Air1 secondhand and it's aged nowhere near as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Pictured: Apple's Best Laptop with monitor, keyboard and mouse

Nah this is:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

What model iPad is it?

If it's like an iPad2 I would junk it.
If it's an iPad Air1 it's probably the oldest model still worth using.
If it's an iPad Air2 or newer then it will do OK on IOS12.

My phone is on 9.3 and all the google apps work fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You can always try it out, and see whether you can bear to use it or not.
If you find it "useful but unusable" then that might be grounds to buy an iPad6. They're pretty cheap on discount.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ah, I see the problem now.

Bad guy Google requires IOS11 for their apps now. What you have to do it get another device and "buy" the app on your account.
Then on your iPad when you try to download it, it will offer to download the old version that does work on IOS9.

Edit: nope, that doesn't seem to be required anymore. I just tried to "get" google drive, which I do not have on my AppleID, and it let me do it.
This is despite the app store page saying that it needs IOS11.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 26, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Since there's a camera wart it won't sit flat on a table anyway so why does it matter if it's "bent"?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

withak posted:

I demand that all of my purchases be infinitely rigid.

Boy do I have the tablet for you!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

After using it for a while while traveling I have to say that I actually think it works better vs iMessage.

iMessage is great if you are in your home country but it sure can take a poo poo when you travel and start dealing with dodgy signals / trains ect.

But what is nice about iMessage is if you travel and get a new number nobody has to know or care.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

Now stream Microsoft Golf for Windows 95.

That would probably work with SteamLink!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

HDMI is an Alternate Mode on USB-C so any should work.

I would just grab the cheapest one on Amazon that has a review mentioning iPad Pro.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Last Chance posted:

it sounds like he’s not sure that’s what a mouse does

Mobile games zero-effort recompiled for desktop don't let you click too quickly because a tap has to be for a certain amount of time before it is registered.
You have to click and drag to scroll through lists.
Click and hold still for long press.
Stuff like that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Xabi posted:

For some reason my iPad can’t log on to the hotel Wifi but my iPhone will. It’s the type that is unsecured and then there’s a pop up where you have to confirm to yada yada yada. Why won’t the iPad connect? It fails even before the pop up.

I'm sorry this isn't a helpful response but I went on holiday the last two weeks and got some godawful travel SIM that was shaped to 2 Mbps data speeds, so I connected to almost every known type of captive portal.
They are universally terrible and almost never work reliably. Blargjh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

So the cheapest iPad is now better than the first gen 2016 iPad Pro (A9x versus A10 - no idea of RAM yet) with all the same ports and capabilities. Screen and speakers are still better on the old Pro.

iPad 6 already had the A10.

The Pro 1 also has more RAM (4GB) in the 12.9" only.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

iPad Pro2 is A10X with 4GB of RAM.
iPad Air3 is A12 with 3GB of RAM.

So the Air3 is probably not going to be better for longevity.
Battery life will be better due to having a brand new battery with no cycles on it and the lower power CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

"X" is the Pro CPU signifier with more cores.
You can try to find Geekbench results or whatever, but I'm assuming the A10X will be higher multi and the A12 will be higher single core performance.
Not having enough RAM is usually what kills IOS performance and leads to annoyances like apps restarting as soon as you multitask out of them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Seiyal posted:

Is there any way to revert to an older iPadOS update if 13 is massively messing up an older iPad? They're trying to go back to 12.3.1 (They're on iPad 5) if possible but even with a backup, it's proving quite troublesome.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to do this or is this impossible to do at this point?

They missed the boat by just a couple of days.
They should probably try a complete restore from original firmware and starting from scratch. iPad 5 ought to be OK on 13.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You need a iPad5+, Air3, or Pro to be able to get the app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

A keyboard with a trackpad is obviously best but if you're just loading media and games do you need a mouse at all?
I have just cheap wireless keyboards on my HTPCs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IOS6 is being signed for iPad2 so you can downgrade without loving around. It's so fast.

(But then you realise how much even 6 is missing compared to modern versions and it's really hard to get apps.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had an iPad 3 that was seeing daily use until a few weeks ago.
The best iPad is the iPad you have as long as it functions.

Well, you're not wrong, but there definitely devices that just so happen to come out at the sweet spot of technology and support lifetime (Air2) and those that don't (iPad3.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I have a 4th Gen iPad that has been sitting around gathering dust for a couple of years, and I'm thinking about using it for a dual screen app. Does anyone have a sense of how bad it will perform when it's upgraded to iOS 10.3.3?

I have an Air1 and it's pretty bad on latest IOS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

imagine hating a camera bump that much that you want it ripped out of all ipads in the most expensive product tier instead of just getting a case or something

Having to put a case on an iPad is even stupider than the mandatory phone case situation we have now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Using a apple pencil with a naked ipad pro is annoying as it will be wobbly... That's my main crux with ipad pros, every now and then i keep my ipad naked (esp in the summer to slightly improve thermals) and having to get some spacers on the ipad to properly jot down stuff is some next gen cargo cult

Apple should sell a pack of 3 stick-on bumpers so one can use their iPad on a flat surface.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 that I got for “reasons” but never use. My oldest is starting kindergarten in a couple weeks so I decided to give it to her. I made her a child account and reset the iPad then set it up with her credentials and all is working as intended. Apart from abcmouse are there any must have apps for 5 year olds? She’s getting a chrome book through school but we want to supplement with the iPad

5 is tough because as you probably already know they're too old for the baby games but not old enough to read well.
Plus you have the problem that all mobile games are filled with crap like IAP that the child doesn't grok.

Looking at my kid's iPad, she's not into much at the moment. Recently she has done Khan Kids (needs internet) and Teach Your Monster To Read.
Games are Crossy Road (not quite capable enough for that yet), Toca School, and Dr Panda's Restaurant.
Lately she is more into taking photos and sending them (with a billion emojis) to Mum/Me/Grandma/Older Cousin.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If anyone "upgrades" from an Air2 to an iPad8 I'd appreciate hearing whether you find the screen noticeably worse/different.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I wish the LTE option was a little bit cheaper (or just for free on Air/Pro) especially since it gates the GNSS receiver.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

My kid's iPad keeps signing out of iCloud, App Store and iMessage basically every day.
Has anyone run into this and can suggest a fix?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Rotate the password in case somebody else has it

This has to be inconceivable (not getting any signin emails) but I'll try it anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

My kid's iPad keeps signing out of iCloud, App Store and iMessage basically every day.
Has anyone run into this and can suggest a fix?

Hadlock posted:

Rotate the password in case somebody else has it

Sad to say this didn't take.
If anybody has any ideas before I restore it that would be appreciated.

(I'm worried that this is just an issue if you don't have 2FA enabled. But my kids don't have phone numbers so...)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Khorne posted:

Can I use a usb -> usb-c adapter with a wifi dongle with an ipad pro? If so, any suggestions on which to buy?

The wifi died on it under warranty and apple quoted hundreds of dollars to fix it even though it's their faulty hardware. The problem is somewhat widespread, but people are ignorant and think it's their router/settings rather than a legitimate hardware issue. I've never owned a laptop/netbook/tablet where almost every critical system has failed within 3 years of purchase before, but this ipad pro 10.5 has been the absolute worst. And apple's warranty coverage is/was non-existent. I had the home button, screen, and wifi module fail on the thing in the first 18 months. No water damage, no drops, bought brand new at an apple store. The only reason it has any connectivity at all is because one of the repair shops was willing to resolder, replace the screen, and repair the home button for a fraction of what apple quoted. Home button works & recognizes touch now, screen is stellar, but the wifi/bt is still intermittent and the software doesn't even properly recover from the issue so you have to chain hard reboot and hope for the best.

I haven't ever heard of a Wifi dongle working, but ethernet adaptors do work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you never deregister your phone number from iMessage it should still work just fine.

But it does mean that when any Apple user tries to send a message to your phone number, it will come through as an iMessgae and your dumb phone will not receive anything.