Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yes, you get iWork and iLife suites for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I don't get why there's a border around the message body in the gmail app. It makes it harder to read messages at time. The loading thing is annoying but for some reason doesn't bother me that much. The message border thing is the one that really annoys me with the app.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That's pretty big. Even when the apple rumors started up I didn't really buy it. I won't write it off entirely until I at least try one in a store though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The air is awesome. I love the size and weight. It's even better than the iPad 2 size/weight. See what capacity fits your usage and get one.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Seriously if they bump the ram next time I'm selling my current air.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have had this happen between my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. Sometimes restarting will fix it for a while on the iOS devices but over time pops up again. I think it got a bit flakier with iOS 7 because I don't remember it being that bad with iOS 6. Hopefully with iOS 8 this works better.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Are you sure the app is universal (works on iPad and iPhone)? If it's not universal then the company that makes it may sell an iPad version separately.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Installed on my iPad Air just fine. Maybe your download was corrupted?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
SMS continuity was the most useful announced for iOS 8/Yosemite. It's awesome.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I updated when the GM went up and haven't had any speed degradation on my Air either. I got SMS relay to work but doesn't seem to work anymore :qq:. Phone calls seem to be getting relayed fine though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I kind of want to see people paying for stuff by whipping out their iPads now because that would be pretty funny.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That's annoying, I have moved to clicking on the location bar to see bookmarks and frequent sites.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The thinness is nice but definitely wasn't necessary. The added horse power from the processor and ram are noticeable even coming from the original iPad Air. I used mine last night for a few hours and a little this morning. Not seeing tabs reload is quite nice.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When did they switch back to a 10W adapter, by the way? The first Air? I know they bumped it to a 12W when the Retina iPads came out since the batteries were gigantic. I now have official 5W, 10W, and 12W adapters.

Pretty weird. The Air 2 does have a smaller battery than the original air. Maybe they concluded 10W to be the sweet spot.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I went from an air to an air 2 and its a noticeable difference. Nothing ground breaking but you can tell. Tabs definitely don't refresh as much. Apps also stay in memory longer without refreshing. If you can play with one at a store, fairly sure you can notice the speed difference just messing around the web.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I can't seem to get airdrop working between my iPhone 6 and my early 2011 MacBook Pro. System information says air drop is supported. I was trying to send over a photo to my laptop but nothing shows up when I click on air drop in finder.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I was guessing that maybe the hardware didn't support air drop between an iPhone and Macbook pro of mine's age. Oh well guess I will just use a different wireless transfer method like a savage.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have the smart case. It's okay but not $80 okay IMO. The leather is nice and it is not bulky. The stand on it seems firmer than the smart cover I had for the original air. The buttons can require a bit more effort to press but that may be because it's thinner and they're closer to the back compared to the original air. It also has this seam that sticks out the side that attaches the cover to the case. This is the first case I have purchased for my iPads. I usually grabbed a smart cover and a cheap TPU smart cover compatible back. I didn't like the ones available at the time on amazon so grabbed the smart case. Anyways, it is nice leather with a good feel that fits the iPad quite well. Aside from the button and the seam thing, I have no real complaints except it being $80.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 6, 2014

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have a smart case and while I agree about the lip on the front, I was surprised by how sturdy it was when used as a stand. Maybe take it to the Apple Store and get it checked if you have some spare time.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk if money is 100% not an object at all in any way shape or form would you take an ipad pro over an air 2

i just came into some $ and after doing all the responsible things there is to be done im planning on replacing my aging original iPad

The iPad pro is interesting to me but I would want to read some reviews before I decided to get one.
I have an Air 2 currently and it's awesome for what I do with it. I browse the web, read comics on it, once in a while I'll sketch some stuff on it. It's quite light and the size makes easy to take around places. I have an Apple leather case on it, which isn't a great case (pretty pricey) but it is a good case if you want some protection without bulk. I usually sell my current iPad and use that money to upgrade to a new one but I haven't felt that way with the Air 2. I could easily see myself using it for two or three years before I upgrade.
Now onto the Pro. It looks awesome for reading comics, watching videos and multimedia in general. Going by the specs and using a 6S with an A9 chip the hardware in the Pro should be beastly. Adobe leaking it has 4GB of ram (I think a developer used Xcode and image assets or some such to verify this as well but not 100% sure) should be amazing. When Apple bumped the memory on the Air 2 to 2GB it was easily noticeable how better it ran so I can't imagine how much better the Pro will do with 4. The pencil looks pretty great for drawing and taking notes (pixar artist seem to have liked it quite a bit). I don't type a lot on my iPad so can't really comment on the keyboard case. My concern is with the size and weight though. The iPad 2 (the Air models too obviously) had a good weight for using one handed in my opinion at 1.3lbs (the Air is 1lb and Air 2 is a bit lower than that I believe). The pro is coming in at 1.59lbs (the third generation iPad was like 1.4lbs and I did not like using it one handed because it felt heavy) coupled with its size seems to me like it could be awkward for reading or one handed use.

So yea, I guess even if money isn't a concern it boils down to what you want to do with it. I want to wait for some reviews and play around with a Pro in person before I would jump on one.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
You can't go wrong with the Air 2. I've read a bunch of comics, graphic novels and regular old books on mine.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The Logitech K380 is on sale for $10 off today on Amazon. So $29.99.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I had the pro for a few days but it was a bit too heavy and awkward to hold to keep it. I loved the big rear end screen though for browsing, forums, comics and multitasking. If the pro 2 is around a pound I'll most likely switch from my air 2.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Auron posted:

My iPad Air 2 constantly tells me i have several apps to update that have been waiting for several days, and if I want to use cellular data to update....on a wifi only iPad. Is there a fix for this other than starting fresh?

Same here. The App Store became pretty buggy with the 8.4 release for me. It's been that way since. I usually just download them manually. If for some reason they still don't update then I tap one of the bottom icons ten times to clear the cache and that seems to get it to update so far.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The 12.9 inch pro screen is the best thing for comics. I grabbed one but ended up returning it due to it being a bit too heavy, if it's not heavy for you then get that. I have the 9.7 inch pro now. The screen quality is great but a bigger screen would be nice. I'm hoping the larger pro weight hits the pound mark on the next revision.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Upload it to google music?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Automatic updates have been a crap shoot for a while in my experience. They've been a more consistent on my iPhone but with the iPad I think the initial release of iOS 10 is the last I remember it actually working.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I think you can hold the x down on the previous section and it will give you the option to clear all notifications.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

Any recommendations for a longer USB-C cable which will charge the Pros at full speed? Was going to get an Anker braided one on sale but reviews say it can't pull full power. The Apple cable is criminally short.

I have an Anker Cable that I have used with an Anker 30 watt charger and it worked fine. It's a charger cable though so it only has USB 2.0 speed.
Anker 6ft USB-C cable

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Yea that's a nicer cable. The one I linked to was on sale the other day for $8 I think so that's why I bought it. The power line ones are nice though I believe I have two micro USB power line cables and they're pretty good. They actually stay in the port even.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
My iPad shipped from Chengdu, China.

Not a oh my iPad shipped thing. Just answering the other goons question.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Wipr is good for set it and forget it. 1blocker is good for customization. Is it really $40? Wow. I paid when it first came out a couple of bucks and then when they made a new app I paid like $12 but it was universal across iOS, macOS.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
iOS/iPadOS 13 mail has been really crappy for me with Gmail. One of the updates seems to have made it work better on my iPad but the iPhone is still a crap shoot. I often have the same issue with the account error. Even after all the updates messages still don't seem to download in the background either.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Did they fix the bottom buttons being on top of the home bar? They fixed it once and broke it again and it was like that for a while. When iOS 13 dropped I just deleted the app and use safari.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I use 1blocker and it's been working for fine. Wipr is good too if you just want set it and forget.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The files app also sends deleted files to a trash folder which empties automatically after 30 days I believe. You can manually delete those files though beforehand.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I've tried out the bigger pro twice. Both times I ended up returning and sticking with the 11 inch. The big screen is great but it was just too unwieldy for me. I mainly use my iPad to read comics and look at other media so I hold it most of the time.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The 11 inch has wide color gamut and can display HDR also.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wonder if part of this is just personal preference also. Before I got my LG OLED TV I tried a well reviewed Sony with full array backlight and supposedly a decent amount of dimming zones. I watched some Dolby Vision content on Netflix and pretty much went right back to Best Buy to get the oled due to blooming. I tried adjusting the dimming but didn't really help. I actually preferred the dimming on the Samsung KS8000 I had which was edge lit to the Sony as odd as that May seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That sounds odd. What app are using when you email them to yourself? In the past I've emailed myself some ebooks to my kindle address. They never got auto deleted. I put pdfs on iCloud Drive and read them through the preview app for classes I take and that works well enough for me. There's certainly better apps for pdfs but I just needed to read them and not edit them or anything so my method worked for me.