Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
iPad fell out from under my arm today with Smart Cover folded back and slightly cracked the screen. Then as I was trying to shake the piece that fell in the body out, I again only had the smart cover firmly held and the iPad faceplanted into the sink. Now it's REALLY hosed up. :doh:

No AC+, so I've got on my list 1) a new screen 2) adhesive glue, but what do I do about the black layer that was attached to the glass that splintered off above the screen (outlined in yellow)? Is there another thing to order to replace that or do I just cover it with the new glass and don't worry about it?

Also, is there a one-stop shop to buy all of the replacement materials I'll need? I have a heat gun, tools, bench, clamps, etc. Thanks!

edit: iPad Air 1 if it matters. Screen is still functioning perfectly.

edit2: I just googled some more and bought a kit off ipadscreenrepair dot com

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I replaced the glass/digitizer on my Air 1 6 months ago. Now it's getting phantom touches all over the very bottom of the screen area. If the culprit is the grounding cable as outlined in this fix do I have to buy new glass and break it / do a fresh repair in order to apply that fix?

Or would I be able to just do a heat gun, pull the screen up, and re-glue the thing down?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, cheers. I didn't realize that!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get rid of this Quick Notes overlay (the chevron hanging off the end of the screen)? I have an iPad Pro with pencil but I would probably just launch Notes if I want to jot something down.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, all I had to do was hit "Enable" which seemed to ~upgrade my account~, and it went away.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Apple Smart Keyboard Folio is loving up in subtle ways. It acts like when you have the modifiers stuck down in windows and start typing and random things keep launching or happening.

It’s very intermittent and there’s no way to clean the thing. Anything else I should try before going to the fruit stand or buying something else? It’s less than two years old on my iPad Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a work iPad Pro that just finished its 24 months of AppleCare+. I'm trying to renew the AppleCare+ but it appears tied to my Apple ID and I 1) don't want to make my work Amex the default payment option on my Apple ID or 2) could do a reimbursement but the only option is monthly... it's not worth getting reimbursed the $9.99 every month.

Is there an option to renew for a year (one transaction) or change the payment card for just this purchase? What's the "right" way to do this?