Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
What a waste of resources. That should be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Using your warranty on a legitimate quality issue is not a dick move, even if you waited 11 months to do so. It's what the warranty is for.

I started to notice a weird yellow splotch on my iPhone screen about a month ago. I was traveling and busy so the first day I was able to go to the apple store happened to be the last day of my warrantee which happened to be the 5S launch day. They replaced the screen no questions asked.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Any word when the Cellular iPad Air 2's will be in stock at the Apple Store? Looks like only wifi models are available.

I was thinking of maybe picking up a Wifi model today and swapping it for a celluar model within the return period. Or is that a dick move?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

e.pilot posted:

You can order the cellular models online and pick them up in store.

Not in San Francisco. They all say coming soon.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Strange.

It shows up as available now. Hooray, take my $1000 Apple.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
They're required to fingerprint you since like someone said above trade ins are considered pawns to the law.

You also get fingerprinted when trading in video games for $20.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the AppleSim situation is super convoluted because carriers are scum, and the most flexible way to buy an LTE iPadAir2 is still to buy one from Verizon *without* an AppleSim?

https://storify.com/spangborn/legere-addresses-sprint-and-at-and-t-apple-sim#publicize

It seems like that gets you the ability to use traditional sims from everywhere but Sprint.

I love my apple sim. My iPad 3 was on Verizon and I paid $10/m to tack onto my sisters data plan. I probably used 250-750mb of data a month since I usually always have wifi.

With Apple sim on my Air 2 I switched to T-Mobile and get 500mb of data free per month. If I happen to need more I can pay $10 for 5gb that can be used over the course of 90 or 180 days or something.

It's a great deal.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Right but my point is without the fancy Apple sim I would have most certainly bought a Verizon model and would still be paying for data.

Since I bought the iPad from the Apple Store I didn't have an option for carrier so I assumed the iPad would work on all carriers. I was upset for about 2 seconds when I got home and was unable to activate on Verizon before I decided to check out T-Mobile and found out how much cheaper it really is.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Has anyone here set up the plans with T-Mobile? Is it just setting up an e-mail address, password, name and billing address, and away you go? How has it been working?

Read my posts above. I am blown away by the quality of T-Mobile. Free 200mb then after than you can pay $10 for 5gb over the course of 3 months.

Speed and service has been great for me (San Francisco and North Bay) but I have not traveled with it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Dutch have you ever hit the limit and gone down to the throttled speed?

And yeah, that's a special offer, unfortunately. But they do offer several different "flavors" like standard month to month, free 200MB, "data packs", you name it. I don't think any other carriers offer those different options to suit different users' needs.

The free data is particularly brilliant and daring, and it will probably end up making them money in the long run.

No I have not in out yet. I usually am on wifi but that's why the T-Mobile plan is so great for those rare times when I have no wifi.

If that 5gb thing is a special offer do you think they'll offer other plans like that in the future every few months? Either way the pricing for monthly plans seems right in line with the rest of the carriers.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I really want to replace my aging iPad 3 with an Air 2, but on the other hand the iPad 3 still works pretty drat well and those rumors of an iPad Pro just don't go away. Goddamn you rumor mill! :arghfist:

I upgraded from a The New iPad to the air 2 and the difference is incredible. I would do it if I were you.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, same here. I feel like using mine a lot more now, too, because the iPad 3 felt so incredibly heavy compared to the Air 2. I still have an iPad 3 around the office to use as a test device and it feels like a brick now.

Exactly. That thing was so heavy compared to this. The Air 2 is also unbelievably thin and fast.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Is it for just one app? Try uninstalling and then reinstall the app.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Any iPad Air 2 case recommendations? I wish I could just do the Smart Cover but it sounds like it's been ruined in recent revisions.

Ehh the Smart Cover is fine. Yeah it's sort of shittier compared to the older one but I just tear it off and toss it on my bed or the couch or wherever when I use the iPad. I just like how it's so minimal.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
It goes

iPad
iPad 2
The New iPad
iPad (4th Generation)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
We gave my 80 year old grandma an iPad a few years ago. Prior to that she's never used a computer and the biggest piece of tech she owned was a microwave.

She picked it up in minutes and literally cannot stop using it now. There is no way she'd be able to figure out a laptop so quickly.

Plus she doesn't have wifi so paying $10/m to join on my family plan for her to get 3G is a no brainer. With a laptop we'd have to pay for Internet then buy a router and have two additional devices to keep up and running just so she can send email.

iPad is the way to go.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Trying to back up my iPad before I exchange it. Can you really not change the backup location from within iTunes? :eyepop:

Nope. Symbolic link time.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I'm p sure that Good Reader will let you sync your Dropbox offline and will resync to ~the cloud~ once you're online again. I'm probably wrong, though.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah the air 2 was so over spec'd at release it was almost ridiculous. It's still insanely fast and light and awesome in every way. The 2gb of ram is also crazy awesome.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Best iOS 9 feature is disabling shake to undo! It's in accessibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
You can also use this case if you have a fleshlight

https://www.fleshlight.com/upgrades/launchpad/