Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I just put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I instantly regret it, visually speaking. A lot of the animations (switching out of apps, multitasking, etc) are very choppy. It just doesn't feel fluid (which is one of the best parts about using iOS). Reminds me of using an underpowered Android tablet.

And those icons, wow. Personal preference, probably wrong thread, I know, but they aren't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

I don't think it makes you a yuppie or hipster to wish Apple was more interested in the labor conditions its products are made under.

Or moved them to a place with higher labor standards in general.

(Don't interpret this in saying other companies get a pass on this. I wish it would happen all around.)

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, pisspoor labor conditions, suck, but Apple's not the worst about it.

I don't really think "slightly less pisspoor (but still pisspoor) than companies who can afford much less" is what the original dude was going for.

Being less worse isn't really being good, which is what I was getting at.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Does commentary on the ethical business practices of tech companies operating in China belong in this thread?

Probably not. Apologies for the derail.

My iPad 2 was still choppy this morning with the animations. To earlier poster, I know you know the terminology wasn't right, but never defrag a SSD! I assume it is still indexing and that is the reason for the initial poor performance. Maybe I'll just get used to it.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Defrag a SSD? Did you defrag the iPad? Is that even possible? :psyduck:

I'm referring to this post:

Mu Zeta posted:

The ssd needs time to defrag or whatever. It will smooth out, at least it did on my iPod Touch.

Just don't want anyone reading this and ever pairing together "defrag" and "SSD". You would literally just be wearing your SSD down faster.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Is it worth upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 7?

I'm seeing worse battery life (which is "sperging out" apparently). All of the animations were choppy at first, some smoothed out once it finished indexing or something, but many did not.

I would have just kept it on iOS6 had I known, but iOS7 isn't a deal breaker. And assuming new apps that take advantage of iOS7 don't have performance issues with iPad 2 hardware, it's probably the right decision considering Apple's ecosystem.

It's fine.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

TheCrushinator posted:

So i'm insanely pleased with my new iPad and now feel like one of the cool kids for having one. Quick question though; I'm unable to make any in app purchases. App Store purchases are fine but via garageband or anything else I get an error telling me my purchase cannot be completed and I need to speak to apple tech support. A quick google suggests its a common problem and seemingly random but no one knows how to resolve it. Do any goons have thoughts/solutions for this?

I had this. I tried a ton of suggestions via Google, but in the end, I had to wipe the device and start over.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
iOS 7 has significantly worse performance and battery life on my iPad 2 than iOS 6.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

caboodle posted:

Duh. Every new OS is more resource hungry.
You shouldn't need to be told that it'll run worse on older hardware.

Oh, I didn't expect otherwise. When iOS7 came out, there was a ton of commentary that it runs great on an iPad 2 / it gets much better the more you use it / etc. Just didn't want anyone to think that's some universal truth.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Went in to Best Buy to see if I should trade in my iPad 2 for an Air 2 or something.

Holy poo poo is that iPad Air 2 thin, and holy poo poo does it vibrate when the volume is even halfway up. Not sure if that's a deal breaker for me, but it's definitely annoying.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Still torn on if I should trade up to the Air 2 from my iPad 2. It's obviously markedly better in every way, but I tried it out in store. The amount the device vibrates really bothers me considering I want to start using it for musician-y things (both for playback with Amplitube and tracking demos). It seems to vibrate a considerable amount at 100% volume, but it still feels like I turned on haptic feedback even at 40% or so.

Musicians, any of you give it a shot yet? If I just leave it on a table while I play guitar into it (using it as a speaker), is it going to vibrate so much it rattles against the table? I obviously can't demo this too well in a Best Buy.

Also, if I only REALLY use it for that, will I be able to fit a bunch of demos on the 16GB model, or would I have to go 64GB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Yeah, I have proper recording interfaces and performance gear at home, but I like the idea of being able to play casually or showcase something real fast without worrying about having any other gear with me.

A case would probably do it. Thanks for the tip.