Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Chin Strap posted:

Are ipads finicky about what chargers they can use? I got a 2018 pro used the other day and it seems like out of all my usb c power bricks from chromebooks and the like only the official adapter is actually making it charge.

Can't say I've had any issues with my 2020 pro. I've used a couple different Chromebook chargers I had laying around, and a couple third-party 30w+ bricks with random USB-C cables without any issues.

Might be worth checking if the USB-C port has accumulated some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Depending on what you need if you have the pencil you can always just drag the tip in from the lower right corner to have a screenshot/editor as well.

Edit: I might have misunderstood this, I thought the pencil interface was different from the regular power+volume one, but it doesn’t look like it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok. New question. I got a surprise gift card which knocks the Magic Keyboard down to $130 (or knocks the Apple Pencil 2 to $50). Wondering if I should get the Magic Keyboard while it's still on sale and pick up a trifold or magnetic ESR case too for when I don't want to type.

That might be a better idea and then can give the keyboard to my mother with the 8th gen iPad?

That’s how I roll with my 12.9 inch pro - magic keyboard for couch browsing/posting and a Smart Cover knockoff for drawing and when I feel like going tablet mode or reading.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The current keyboard with track pad will work with this new 12.9 right? I can’t imagine they’d have killed it that quickly.

The accessories page is showing magic keyboard and most of the other ipad accessories as compatible with 3rd/4th/5th gen. It's looking a lot like the form factor is completely unchanged for the M1s.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My only kind of worry is that I just bought a SketchBoard Pro a while back and now the new iPad Pro will most likely not fit quite right in it. :sigh: Here's hoping it's not too bad.

Again it looks like it’s the same form factor, but only time will tell.

I also bought one of those and a) it owns and b) they committed to making additional liners for future devices for like, 30 bucks that you can swap out with a hex key in a couple of minutes.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 20, 2021

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is the correct answer, you might be able to find a discounted fourth generation folio on sale like they do with the fourth generation magic keyboards. Technically a third generation will work, but the camera doesn’t lineup and the magnets aren’t quite as snug.

Unfortunately, yeah. It’s overpriced as hell at retail but I tried a few different 20-30 dollar Amazon knockoffs because I wanted the pencil holding strap for throwing my pro in to a bag. They all universally had the most horrible itchy microfiber poo poo that feels like somehow touching the sound of nails on a chalkboard, usually had weaker magnets and a much shittier fit that lead to the edges of the thing getting snagged by everything.

The material was definitely the worst part though so if you’re not overly sensitive to that material it may be passable.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

anothergod posted:

What kind of work do people do on iPads that isn't doable on iPad minis?

Art for one. The 13” is almost even too small for a drawing tablet and I’d probably have to think really hard if they ever released a 15” pro.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I'm still pretty annoyed my less than 2 year old pro is already feature obsolete.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm still waiting for something that will force me to upgrade from my 2020 so I'm OK for now. But yeah, given that my work-assigned-wink-wink-personal 2018 Pro is still kicking -- if I had expected an M1 Pro to come out I would have just stayed with the 2018 in hindsight.

Yeah, mine's also a 2020 and stage manager isn't anything exciting enough that I'm going to run out and buy an M1, just doesn't give me a whole ton of confidence in future updates at this point when I purposely bought the Pro based on all the 'the hardware is way overpowered for the OS and it'll probably last 5+ years' and welp.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

the_lion posted:

My pencil 2nd gen regularly drops out in procreate. Is that a common thing or just me?

iPad pro 11" -the new M2 model.

One thing to always check with the pencil when you’re dropping input: make sure the tip didn’t get a little unscrewed and is nice and tight. It’s probably procreate needing an update for your device as the other poster said, but always worth checking.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

I've been looking at tablets for a little while now and have come to the conclusion that it's got to be an ipad, but I'm not sure which model so I'm hoping this thread can help me out.

Why I think I want a tablet:

My left arm is all kinds of messed up right now so while I'm recovering I kinda want a touch oriented experience for personal computing because typing is miserable. I've been using my phone with my good hand but it's less than ideal for many things I want to do. Also feels like I'm gonna give myself an RSI this way lol.

What I want to do:
- Standard stuff like streaming videos and music, posting, reading ebooks of various formats + pdfs + manga, some games
- Marking up pdfs, scribbling notes and practicing kanji with my good hand

I've been looking at the air and the pros because a) 2nd gen pencil support and b) the opportunity to add a magic keyboard later when I'm all patched up again. I'm interested in the latter because I don't actually have a personal laptop so turning the ipad into something like one when I want it to might be nice. I'm not terribly price adverse if the hardware fits the use case.

Going to head to the store soonish to see these in person (need to check out if one size vs the other is better for me physically right now) but would appreciate people's thoughts if any.

If you’re going to be spending a lot of time using the pencil drawing/handwriting the pro is well worth the small bump in cost for the 120hz screen imo. Just really helps with responsiveness and the feeling of smoothness.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah I definitely remember being upset my gen4 12.9 was originally softlocked out of stage manager, then when they changed that and I actually tried it I almost instantly turned it back off because it’s awful.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm still struggling to come up with a compelling reason to upgrade from my 2020 pre-M Pro tbh. If I do it's only because the hardware is starting to get buggy. FaceID will just stop working randomly until I restart it like five times, it glitches out every now and then. Just small stuff. Overall I think the square-bezel Pros have aged MARVELLOUSLY. Even my 2018 is still rocking -- I only upgraded because work offered to upgrade all my personal gadgets during COVID for some reason.

I've gone through two keybaord folios though. The rubberized coating on each has disintegrated to the point where it looks and feels too gross to continue. I'm resisting the urge to get yet another folio just in case they change the camera bump on the next Pro or something and it won't survive a hardware upgrade.

If they go OLED for the pros as the rumors suggest it might convince me to upgrade my 2020 12.9” as the battery is starting to get real sketchy anyway. That’ll depend a lot on how bad the also rumored price hike ends up being, though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The fact that it’s listing a bunch of much earlier base iPad models that were never pencil compatible probably should have been a red flag, if nothing else.

Probably just chalk that one up to a lost gamble and get one of those 30 dollar crayola pens or something instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Oh, you’re right. For some reason I thought pencil support came to the base model way later than that. My bad.