Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I got a 2022 iPad Pro after losing my 2016 model last year. It's amazing how much faster the new one charges compared to the old one, which took a couple of hours from zero. How many Watts is it pulling in over the charger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Same charger or just the stock in both cases?

New Pros come with the 20W which is not particularly fast.
If the old one came with a basic bitch 10W that would certainly explain it though.

I tend not to use the chargers supplied as I generally have faster chargers already. The original iPad Pro maybe only charged at 10W, but it's really a night and day difference. Currently using a UGREEN Nexode 100W that seems to charge all my devices quickly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Right goons, going on holiday to Europe this week and I want to load up my iPad with movies and TV shows. I'll download stuff from Netflix and Amazon, but how can I transfer movies onto my iPad? Is video support as limited as I remember it years ago on the iPod Classic with Video? As I write this I'm having flashbacks of Handbrake and late first decade video converters...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

VLC has a nice built in transfer solution that uses a desktop browser to connect IIRC.

Right, how do I work that?

Dicty Bojangles posted:

nPlayer Plus has been my go-to for offline movies/tv show playback for a while.

Is that an app? Will it just let me view stuff I drag across in iTunes or something?

Arivia posted:

Media file support is much better. What model iPad do you have? You can check by going to General - About in Settings if you don't know.

iPad Pro 2022 (11 inch).

Am I able to use wireless sync? My desktop PC is connected to the same network as the iPad, but the former with Ethernet and the latter via Wi-Fi.

Sorry for the noob questions; I haven't transferred local video to an iDevice in 15 years. Streaming has spoiled me rotten.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 10, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Right goons, I used iTunes to copy across some movies and they seem to have transferred over USB ok, but I don't know how to access them on the iPad itself. They don't show up in Files.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

They show up in the TV app under Library.

I don't know why everyone else is being so weird about this. I do the same thing you do a few times a year and it works fine, you don't really need all these other 3rd party apps and cloud transfers.

Motherloving poo poo. It's no wonder I prefer Android, the land of milk and honey. I'm on the plane now, I'll see what I can do when we're at the hotel.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UK goon here, going to New York in May. I have a 1st generation iPad Pro 9.7 inch that's still perfectly functional, but a lot slower than I'd like and it's now only getting security updates on iOS 16.

Are there any trade-in deals available in the Apple Store or something similar where I could get money towards a new iPad?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

yes, Apple does trade-ins. But you won’t get the credit right away until they process it so you’d be best served by sending/bringing it in to Apple first and having the amount added to your gift card balance after about a week or so if your goal is to walk into an NYC Apple Store and walk out with a new iPad or if you want to have it on Day X before your trip or whatever.

Not sure if it’s way faster in-store or if they still have to send the old device away for you to get your credit

I was hoping to be able to get it slightly cheaper in New York but I'm only there for 5 nights. If I trade in the iPad and get a new one, would I then get refunded the amount it was worth or something?

Is another option that I go to the Apple Store near me, trade it in now, then use the credit when buying a new one in the US?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Same with my phone in person. They take a quick look, do a couple of tests, and you're good to go. In fact, you get slightly more credit if you use it on a purchase then and there, and slightly less if you just apply the credit to your account. Go for it OP

Cheers one and all. Do they need the original box or anything else or just the device itself?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

That's great. I'll be in New York from 7th May to 12th May, are the new iPads due out by then?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

The current rumor isa may update/release

Knowing my luck they'll launch the day after I leave. The Apple site tells me I'll get £65 trading in my 1st gen iPad Pro, which is a bit disappointing but not surprising considering it's 7 years old now.

Would it be madness for me to buy a latest gen iPad Air to replace the old Pro? I think the speakers on the Pro would be better but everything else should be an improvement I take it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I have been nothing but content with my 11" m1 iPad pro. The M1 Air will be fine.

Ask yourself how much your use case reeally needs:
- an M2/3 instead if you don't professionally edit photos/video/do CAD work
- 120hz refresh rate, when pretty much nothing but the ui or games can use it
- two extra speakers (tbh four speakers is great; the separation on tracks like Ain't No Rest For The Wicked is really good)
- an extra tenth of an inch in screen size (you won't notice)
- an oled screen that i don't think was ever actually confirmed; is still just a rumor; that may or may not support hdr levels of brightness like the current iPhone/Macbook Pro does

I do recommend getting the 256 either way; it fills up fast with downloaded audiobooks/music/videos/etc.

Yeah I don't use it for anything that a regular iPad can't do, it's basically a consumption device for me. I'd love an OLED screen of course but the main thing I'd like improved is the speed, either the A9X hasn't aged well or it needs more RAM.

Does that iPad Air have a decent quality screen compared with the original iPad Pro in terms of colour gamut and viewing angles?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks son, I'll have a read. It's funny how old fashioned the OG iPads look now, a bit like looking at phones from 10 years ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This Apple stepping stone stuff is infuriating. The maddening storage options making one zigzag up the ladder crack me up.

Still, iPad Air seems the way to go right now.

Oh yeah, which models are rumoured to have OLED screens?