Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought a new mini to replace my Nexus 7 which started to randomly discharge its entire battery of a night sitting in my work bag.

It's real nifty but I wanna get a nice smart cover, are there any reccs for one? If not I'll get an apple one?

Also how come Instagram still doesn't have a proper iPad app? Same goes for Whatsapp, I can do all that + text and call from my MacBook why not on the iPad, boo.

Also a bit dissapointed that it doesnt have raise to wake and 3D touch but I'm assuming this is because it's still using the same old iPad Mini housing from years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No iPads have 3D Touch, and I don't think they ever will. It might have long presses which are functionally the same.

As for IG and Whatsapp, ask Facebook.

The only thing I miss is doing the 3D touch on the keyboard to bring up the cursor. Is there another way to do this on iPad cuz I use that so much on my phone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

You can long press the spacebar for the cursor thing. I think two finger dragging on the keyboard also works

Cheers I thought there was another way you could do that.

And yeah with Whatsapp I meant a companion app like the web one or the MacOS one. It's nice that I can just get all my iMessage and Calls on all my other Apple devices, but I get way more Whatsapp messages. It would be cool if the iPad could do that but eh. I guess whatsapp isn't very big in America then? In Europe everyone seems to use it, it just seems like iMessage but crossplatform.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

The idea of a ~9" iPad mini has moved on from just being crazy hopes and dreams to Ming-Chi Kuo rumor status as of a few days ago:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14/kuo-apple-glasses-2022-new-ipads-2020/

Not sure it's accurate, but mockup I saw over on Reddit (latter being the funky resolution of the 11" iPad Pro):

Man I just setup a collection on my 5th gen Mini because half of the time I plug it in to charge I have to wiggle the cable or press the home button before it starts charging. I'd love a Mini with the same look as the iPad Pro with FaceID

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way I can get rid of an activation lock off an old ipad 4 running ios 10? It was from my mums old school and they never asked for it back but it's signed in as some random gmail address. Googling just brings up a load fake search results, I'm assuming it's impossible and it might as well just get tossed at an e-waste place or something instead.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Apple can do it if you produce a purchase receipt. Otherwise, it's spare parts.

I just told her to toss it over the school gates, WEEE waste it is then

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I have one of the current Minis, I would buy the poo poo out one with the new Air design and usb c

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll ever make a mini with an updated design.

The bigger ones are a bit much for me, I use mine for reading, language learning and its usually what I grab to look stuff up when I'm around the house. I bought my mum the new Air to replace her old Pro and as much as I like it it's still a bit too big for what I'd want it for.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The power button on the new mini is kinda awkward. Also it’s impossible to use touch id with your left hand

apart from that it’s brilliant, the speakers are waaay better than the 5th gen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So my mum was complaining that her ipad is running out of storage, it's a 64 gb air from 2020. Was thinking of buying the newest air with 256gb, but then a base 11 inch pro is only 50 more but with 128gb so I'm thinking is it worth buying the pro just so it might last a bit longer over the air. I can see the air has an M1 and the pro has an M2? Or is Apple going to refresh the iPads with M3 or we so I should just wait.

She has the smart keyboard thing so it has to fit that still, will probably just trade the old one in