Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite being an Apple user since about 2007, I have managed to escape the desire to ever own an ipad. Just felt like an iphone/laptop combo was more my speed. I haven't really kept up with the iPad generations or features at all. I do however want to get back into drawing and after trying to figure out the logistics of a big project I want to start I'm starting to think it makes the most sense to just step into the digital age and work on a tablet. I have limited space and the thought of drawing on a tablet is becoming increasingly appealing.

I guess I'm just looking for the best option. I do want an ipad pro or at least an iPad with an 11 inch+ screen so I have enough space to work. Prices are all over the place though. Like, I'm looking at iPads and I can find 11inch and above screens ranging from 200 up to 1200 and I have no idea what I need or should go for. I'd like to use it for other basic stuff like browsing and videos, but really the only important thing is being able to use it as a drawing tool.

I'm just looking for a rec on which one to buy. Money is kind of tight right now so cheaper is good but I also want a good experience so I guess I'm curious about any relevant features on available models. Also how much generations matter when it comes to apple pencils. tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

They’re announcing new iPads and based on the image, maybe a new pencil, in a couple of weeks. I would wait until then before thinking about all that.

Good know, thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do they sell bundles with the pencil at all? Even it's not apple, like coscto or something is fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the announcement of a new iPad usually entail a price drop for the previous gen?

I'm likely gonna just wait until the event to see what the best purchase for me is, but at the same time sites mostly just seem to predict a more expensive Oled model that I'd probably pass on. But if it means I can save a few hundred on a current model it's definitely worth waiting imo. Also I'm planning on getting it from Costco so I guess if I totally screw myself I could just return it. Just want to get this project started Asap, so waiting two weeks kind of sucks but it does seem like a very dumb moment to buy an iPad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I swear every time I decide to buy a new apple product it coincidentally lines up with a new model on the horizon ugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool yeah I think I can wait. I'm definitely intrigued by a 12.9 inch iPad Air more than anything. I really don't know if I need a pro. It's not like this project is time sensitive I'm just getting antsy.

It's funny, I've been ignoring iPad for so many years I didn't realize how viable they are as a straight up laptop replacement now. I was loving around with a magic keyboard at the store and goddamn they are pricey, but I could get the full daily driver experience with an iPad I think and just ditch my old macbook air. Really love Apples touchpads and didn't want to give that up but I was surprised how close the experience feels to mac os with one of those hooked up. the touchpad feels great even if it's a little smaller than I like. Really think this should be ideal both functionally and financially than a laptop upgrade. That keyboard is a game changer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean, it depends on why you use a laptop. I use my macbook air for shitposting and watching videos. I just like the form factor of having a keyboard and a clamshell so I can lie in bed and goof around on the net. other than that I want to use it to draw. Really seems like an iPad/magic keyboard would be a better fit for me.*

*I also have a gaming laptop so it's not like I dont have the option. It just weighs like 8lbs and has a 17 inch screen so it's not exactly great for using around the house. It never leaves my desk unless I drag it with me on a trip (I no longer do this thanks to steam deck though)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Taima posted:

I currently own an M1 12.9 pro and my upgrade readiness is 100% about the OLED and its specific properties.

For example you could, as far as I understand it, take the ultra thin OLED tech that's been floating around at LG et al, and combine that into a dual layer OLED. That would be absolutely loving incredible. Tiny bezels, ultra thin, super bright, and even theoretically reduced burn in risk vs a single layer OLED.

The potential is off the charts, the only question is if they were able to actually implement that tech, get it manufactured efficiently, and then on top of all that ensure that the price isn't too insane.

One good sign is the 12.9 inch panel being transitioned into the Air line. If they're ok with that kind of improvement on the lower sku, imo that indicates a high level of confidence in the new 12.9 display being extremely good.

I’m actually selling some poo poo on FB marketplace atm to take the sting off the iPad I’m planning on buying next week and yeah there’s scammers for sure, but they are pretty obvious if you are internet savvy at all. Just don’t ever deal with anyone who wants to do business over Facebook, like do not give out your Venmo online. that’s the current scam.

Otherwise it’s actually pretty good. Much better than when I’ve used Craigslist. Been getting rid of stuff quickly without getting haggled too hard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So if the new iPad pros end up having oled screens, and that probably means a price bump, I wonder if there will likely be an LCD pro that is cheaper or will the Air 12.9 inch just replace that niche? or will they somehow by the grace of god remain the same price with an oled?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity, where do you see the market demographic for such a product given what we know?

I would personally be shocked if they offered an LCD Pro but I am genuinely interested in what you're cookin' up here

Oh you are giving me way too much credit. I'm just a dude who wants an iPad and isn't sure which one to get yet lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spending less is always better, but I'm prepared to spend about a grand. Well, probably a little more cause I want a pencil and a magic keyboard, but the keyboard doesn't have to be day 1. I basically plan on just using it for drawing and regular internet stuff.

I guess that's what is confusing to me about it. M3, M4 all means nothing to me. I don't even know what kind of benefits a more powerful ipad is going to do for me. I just don't want something that'll buckle under a big art project. Chances are Ill go with a new air. The only dealbreaker for me is I want the big screen really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With cloud storage and all that, if there's no reason I would desperately need the extra storage right? Pretty much only planning on using this for workflow stuff.

The pro is really tempting for the extra 400. The screen is a nice bonus but more than anything I'm worried this project I'm planning might bog down an air as it increases in size. Ugh, I don't want to buy one just because it's the " best one" but it seems like a reasonable amount of money for future proofing i dunno. Would prefer to use it for years and not upgrade for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry I am million questions dude atm, but I'm having a hard time deciding and have never had an iPad (plenty familiar with them though and have been using iOS and Mac OS forever) so I don't really know what to look for tbh.

My use case is that I want to do a graphic novel and make it entirely on iPad. So potentially a pretty big project. I want to use procreate and also would like to mess around with some of the CAD programs on iPad to make drawing references for myself. over any other feature I just want to avoid something that might get bogged down under a large art project and preferably would not have to replace it for at least a few years or more.

A far as I can see it my options are

Option a: Splurge option. Go for the new iPad pro. Probably the safest bet for handling large projects. Screen probably looks amazing. Can use the new pencil. Thinner form factor is a plus for what I want to use it for. Might last longest before feeling obsolescent. Cons, expensive as gently caress. I was hoping to spend more like 13-1400 total. This would bump it close to 1800 with the pencil and keyboard which is like, the price of a nice laptop to me. And thats the model with the least memory
Option b: new ipad air. basically the same as option A but cheaper, worse screen and might be less capable of handling a large project(?) This would sit better in the price range I was hoping for at about 1300 though and tbh might meet all of my needs perfectly fine.
Option C: ignore the new models and see if the current models end up having some deals over the next week? Possible best choice price-wise. Can't really think of any other pros. The new ones just seem like a better choice at a glance tbh.

Also how does the new air compare to the current pro? I am assuming the new Air is just as powerful? So really if the current models got a sale it wouldn't really be much better of a deal than just going for the new air which has some benefits like the new pencil which I'm very interested in.

Just trying to weigh out value/luxury/what I actually need before pulling the trigger.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 7, 2024