Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I could've used a 32GB iPad on my last trip. 16GB runs out VERY quickly if you have games, music, magazines, photos, and maps - you can forget about syncing video. I had to use a Kingston Wi-Drive to watch movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I'm just eager to have a lighter and smaller tablet. Since getting a Galaxy Nexus last year I've largely stopped carrying my iPad 3 around, given that the phone does most of what I need without the bulk. I'm tempted to switch to an iPad mini, but there are times when that big screen is alluring. On the other hand, going to a Mini would let me pick a model with more storage...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

If you're set on the iPad, why not wait a couple of months? The new one is likely to be announced on sept 10th.

More like October - the September event seems set to be all about iPhones, maybe some new Macs. I agree with the spirit of your post, otherwise. If you can at all avoid it, do not buy a new iPad yet. You'll regret it when the new models roll out in a few months.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I kind of envy the people who can get away with having an iPad as their only computer. It seems risky to me - after all, cloud services become your ONLY form of backup - but then, if you don't need something with Windows or OS X, chances are the most import content you have is email, photos, music, and some notes.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Feenix posted:

Man, Macrumors has an alleged video of the new iPad's chassis, and let me tell you, if the iPad "Maxi" is like they claim, I'm going to have a much tougher time getting a new Mini. The size, weight, etc... wow. Looks like it will be pretty cool!

Don't underestimate the value of size, though. An 8-inch tablet is a lot easier to hold in your hand(s) and stuff into bags.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I just hope both iPads get it. I figure they will.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Yep, that's what I've heard. It would make sense, since that's the way things went last year.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think the iPad 2 is the budget iPad.

It is. Apple's position is that the Mini is just a different version of the iPad, even if it does have a slower processor. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini overtakes the 9.7-inch iPad in sales, one day.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I'd be astonished if this weren't already the case, at least for the last year. Pretty soon it'll be true cumulatively, I imagine.

Good point. It's hard to say - Apple doesn't provide unit breakdowns in its quarterly results. Heck, they've even stopped splitting Mac numbers into "desktop" and "portable" categories.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I would assume you could just do a local backup, make a copy of the IPSW, and restore from that if need be. When choosing to restore, you just need to Control-click (or is it Alt-click?) on the appropriate Restore option.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Even with the IPSW in hand, basically the install has to be "blessed" by Apple's servers and with very few exceptions, they only do so for the most recent OS version.

Ah, boo. I've never had to restore to an old version of iOS.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I don't think it makes you a yuppie or hipster to wish Apple was more interested in the labor conditions its products are made under.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Just to chip in on whether 16GB is good enough...it's not. I've got a 16GB LTE iPad, and I can't do an OTA upgrade to iOS 7 because it wants 3.4GB of free space.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Funnily enough I have 2 16GB devices and I have no issues. It's a case by case basis.

What I'm wondering is how you have 3.4GB free in each case.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Of course, but that's a LOT of free space. I recently went on an app purge with my iPad and I still couldn't get any more than 1.9GB.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I hope Apple doesn't put one out. Apparently gold is actually an easier color to produce than black, but it's stretching the boundaries of taste on the iPhone 5s, never mind something as big as an iPad. Plus Apple is having a hard enough time getting anything but "space gray" iPhones in stores...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I think they will. It would feel like something of a slap in the face if something that's supposed to replace a computer for some people is missing a feature you can get on a phone.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Does the warranty cover speaker crackle? Because my iPad has always done that at high volumes, but if I can get a good one out of it, I might just go. I don't jailbreak my stuff so the volume caps are stock.

If it sounds like a genuine defect - be ready to demonstrate, if need be - I don't see why they wouldn't offer a replacement.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

smackfu posted:

OTOH, the iPad costs less than the iPhone.

Below a certain threshold, anyway. It's easy to make it more expensive if you opt for LTE and/or 64 or 128GB.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

Thank you sir, so 13gb free should be enough I suppose, thought it was much less for some reason.

Be warned that you won't be able to do OTA iOS updates if you have less than 3.4GB free.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

To be clear on this t-mobile thing, the free 200 meg data plan isn't just for current customers right?

I'm curious about the details too. I actually am a current T-Mobile customer, but I don't have a tablet plan, so I don't know how things are supposed to go.

Another iPad 3 owner here, by the way. iOS 7 is pretty smooth overall, though of course you do miss out on some features with the older hardware. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 32GB LTE Mini.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 23, 2013

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

^^^ Thanks!

If you're browsing the internet a lot away from a full PC, the screen real estate is huge bonus compared to an iPhone. Other than that, I would use it a lot for watching movies/TV shows in bed and for reading articles. It's a perfect toilet companion. :c00lbutt:

Plus if you want to slack off in work, using a phone looks like you're texting friends, whereas holding an iPad looks like you're a savvy professional with important work to do.

I actually do use my iPad for work. I cover tech news, and as we speak my iPad is propped up on a desk corner with Pulse running. Speaking of which, I wish Pulse/LinkedIn would get their act together and fix the crashes the app has under iOS 7.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Do you think they'll have T-Mobile models in stock at Apple Stores?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Has there been a solution for any external storage on the iPad? That'd really address a lot of these issues. That being said, any such storage would likely be as costly as the upgrade to the larger storage...

There are a bunch of companies that make Wi-Fi storage drives - I use a Kingston Wi-Drive. In my case you have to play every file through a proprietary Kingston app, but that's more than good enough for video as long as there aren't any separate subtitle files, and they're MP4 clips with AAC audio. VLC it ain't.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

The economics works in favor of the Wi-drive, although it can only really be used for media as others have pointed out having too many big games/apps will spoil a 16 gig iPad real fast. Quick look on Amazon has the 32gb Widrive at $50, 64 at $80, and 128 at $130. We don't use local media at all, and anything I have is in MKV but I suppose could easily enough be converted. This does make me think I could make do with a 16gb iPad since I don't load up on games but COULD see myself using a drive like this in the future. I also like the idea that I could load it up and different iPads/iPods (ie: my kids) could tap into them at different times so they wouldn't need big iDevices either.

I'd check around to see what alternatives there are to the Wi-Drive, just for the sake of pricing/features, but it is a good option if you're willing to convert video. The only other tricky parts are remembering to charge the drive, and configuring it to let your devices keep Internet access - otherwise, all they can see are the contents of the Wi-Drive, since they're connecting to it as a hotspot.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I specifically asked for a Kindle for Christmas last year because as much as I like my iPad 3, the weight, battery life, and screen do not make it conducive to reading. I'm upgrading to an Air this weekend - that should be a massive improvement in weight, but I imagine that I'll stick to my Kindle when reading for the other two factors.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

fordan posted:

Well, the great thing about the Kindle ecosystem is that you can read on whatever device and your position is sync'ed as long as everything has network connectivity. I flip between my Kindle/iPhone/iPad a fair bit depending on where I am, what device I have with me and how long I'm going to be reading.

Oh, I know. But I only keep the Kindle app around for those rare moments when I want to read but all I have is the iPad.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Word is that Apple will be doing Personal Pickup for the Air starting on the 1st. Presumably there's a good chance that if I place an online order the moment that becomes available, I can pick up my iPad the same day?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

fordan posted:

My plan as well. Just can't decide between Air now or Mini later.

If you're going to go for the top of the line, a Mini would save a little cash and be more portable. The Air is more practical if you're at home and/or using it for work.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Keep in mind that one of the reasons people are all excited about the Retina Mini is that its resolution should make documents (and websites) MUCH more legible. If your vision is good, you're not losing much by switching from 9.7 inches to 7.9.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Philthy posted:

I think the way they're going with the air might lend to making a larger version that might end up being the weight of the original ipad. I'm not sure how many people like me who would want one are out there though.

At that point, Apple would be venturing into Surface Pro/Win 8 tablet territory. It might almost make more sense to add a touchscreen to the MacBook Air!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Eboracum posted:

Echoing that the Anandtech review has swung it for me.

I've not had an iPad for a few years after I sold my iPad 3 as I wasn't really using it enough.

I had a 32GB then but I think I'm going to go for the 16GB now as I'm unlikely to store much on it other than PDF/eBooks. My music will be on my laptop or iPhone and I'll be streaming any video.

Am I crazy for thinking 16GB is enough? My iPhone is 32GB and will have most of my photos on and anything large I'll store on an external drive or laptop until I want to use it.

As 16GB iPad 3 owner, my thoughts are that you MIGHT be alright. A few hundred photos and a few music playlists were enough to leave my iPad feeling cramped - in recent months, I've had to start deleting apps to keep enough space free, and I didn't have the 3.4GB needed to do an OTA upgrade to iOS 7. You should be okay so long as you're not loading the iPad full of games - me, though, I'm getting a 32GB Air.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Did anyone who ordered online via the apple store pick theirs up when the store opened at 8?

I did. Here in Austin, that put me in a special line with a handful of other people, most of whom got to be the first buyers at the store - I was number three. I was all done by 8:10.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
One thing I've noticed: my fingers don't get much traction on the Air. It's a minor thing, but it means that a naked Air can slip in my fingers if I'm not holding it tightly or just so. Kind of a shame, although I can still hold it one-handed, which is a minor miracle.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
This reminds me...as someone who has to deal with a flood of iPad cases on a regular basis, a little advice: especially for the Air, get a folio case with a handstrap. Being able to hold an iPad in one hand can be extraordinarily useful if you're cooking, at work, or traveling. When I was in Europe last year I was able to whip out my iPad occasionally while walking to figure out where I was and where I needed to be. (I was using offline apps, incidentally, though you still need a cellular iPad to get GPS).

The folio part is just about a more efficient way of protecting both the screen and the back while getting stand functions. If you want to go for the gold, you can try and find a case with a stylus loop. Even if you don't need a stylus, it's still a good place to stick a pen.

Companies like Snugg and Marware are a good place to start when you're shopping, but there are others.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 4, 2013

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Nuntius posted:

I was going to give into temptation today and buy an iPad air because everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I went to have a look in store and now I'm 100% certain I'll get a mini retina.

Yes it is incredibly light and smaller than the previous full sized iPads, but it's still big. The thing that put me off the previous mini was the old hardware and screen and so, assuming I can actually get my hands on one, the retina mini is perfect.

You made the right call, I think. I got an Air for work, but only because my boss insisted on me upgrading ASAP; otherwise I was more than content waiting for the Retina Mini. The Mini is still easier to hold one-handed (if only slightly, now) and more portable when you're traveling. And hey, it's $100 cheaper to boot.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

CoasterMaster posted:

I know that the iPad Air's LTE radio is unlocked in the US. I want to try that sweet sweet T-Mobile deal of free 200mb of data a month but I'm curious how that works if I buy an AT&T iPad. Can I still get a hold of a T-Mobile SIM, put it in the device, and then sign up on the on-device signup form or is it something more complicated?

That's how it should work, yes. You'll save time and money getting a T-Mobile iPad from the get-go - you can always pop an AT&T SIM in later, since Apple's selling the same hardware for every carrier now.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

If you're not buying from T-Mobile, buy a Verizon model, as it gives you access to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile models will *probably* only give you access to those two carriers.

Good point, actually. It is the same hardware, but since Verizon is CDMA-based, you you can't just pop in a SIM for them.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The SwitchEasy Canvas was my go-to case for the iPad 3 until a Snugg landed in my lap, and even then I would switch back occasionally. I'm actually using the Canvas now as a makeshift stand until I get an Air case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
To me the most obvious additions for a Pro would be a bigger screen, more ports, and maybe an A7X processor. I'd really want good software to go with it though, and that's where Microsoft might have Apple beat, since I doubt Apple will allow Mac apps to run on an iPad anytime soon.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 5, 2013