Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sidebooks is also a pretty decent app for your own collection if iBooks doesn't cover it for some reason. I think it's mostly designed around comics/manga, but it's a pretty good general purpose reader too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If you have the receipt and it's a corporate device, call AppleCare. That's one of the few situations they may be able to do something about.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Martytoof posted:

So we were talking about the new Wacom stylii earlier. I went ought and bought a Bamboo Fineline. It's pretty neat little thing, but I'm finding that I'm not really impressed by the levels of "pressure sensitivity" it offers, and the palm rejection is iffy at best. I'm hoping that software updates fix the latter since I'm pretty sure that's just a function of the Wacom software, but if you're looking to draw with the stylus then I'd probably wait for the Creative 2 which offers twice the pressure sensitivity.

Still really good for note taking, but I hope other apps implement the Wacom API ASAP though.

The only thing that worries me about the Fineline is developers seem to be really quiet on if it's ever going to be implemented outside of note-taking apps, and Wacom themselves straight up ignored an email I sent them asking if the developer tools are the same for both. I'm pretty sure they're trying to gimp it to make you buy the Intuos stylus, and that honestly makes me want to buy neither of them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Martytoof posted:

The fineline site actually says that Adobe Sketchbook, Procreate, and support for other apps is coming "soon" so I'm pretty hopeful. All in all I've done far worse for the same amount of dollars.

And as for the SDK, it appears to be global across their Bluetooth LE stylii, according to their developer page:

http://us.wacom.com/en/developerrelations/ios/

So I don't know, it's kind of crappy that they haven't answered you but I think all the info I've found is positive :)

Well that's good to hear, thanks!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Generic Monk posted:

Just got an air 2. It's utterly, bizarrely thin, like something out of a sci-fi film. Already replaced most of what I did with my laptop but are there any apps that are utter essentials/are generally amazing that I should download, bearing in mind this is the first iPad I've ever owned.

Enviro-Bear.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Gillman posted:

Has anyone had Swift Playground stop working on the new public beta? Every time I start a new page nothing animates and it throws up a crash log screen

Yup, download the main Learn to Code workbook...thing again. It won't overwrite your existing one and you'll have to copy and paste from one to the other, but I think they have bug fixes in that too in the new betas and you get a compile error when trying to use an older one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Splitting hairs a bit here but Recovery Mode and DFU Mode are two different things.

If you see something on the screen during the restore, that’s Recovery Mode, and is usually what you want to use when poo poo goes weird on you. That’s the one in the Apple support article.

DFU Mode boots to a blank display for the restore, and you almost never need to use it. It’s also a lot riskier because it’s an even lower level restore, so you run a greater chance of bricking it if something goes wrong during the process. DFU is documented only in the iOS security guide, as far as I’m aware.