Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Three-Phase posted:

Got a quick question - I have a prepaid Verizon iPad 2, and want to jump to a prepaid Verizon iPad 4. Has anyone here done a similar transition? How difficult is it to move the data plan over? (I am probably going to wait until they release a fifth gen ipad, then I will get a iPad 4 for maybe $100 less.) Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was told that if you talk to support, the most important thing is to tell them you are prepaid and not a postpaid customer.

Also, I have an existing basic phone postpaid account with Verizon. Is there any benefit to getting a 4G ipad that is postpaid rather than prepaid?

For your first question, I can't imagine it's any more difficult than a SIM swap. I got a Verizon iPad 3 and just swapped in the SIM from my AT&T iPad 2 and it worked flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Three-Phase posted:

The Verizon iPad 2 has no SIM...

Weird, the 3 came with one. Is it just a dummy-SIM?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

randyest posted:

Do you mean the act of changing the wallpaper is slow, and it goes back to normal after the change? Or that changing from the default makes it slow forever?

The former. It takes like 10 seconds and you don't even know if the hardware has locked up or not. My sleep button will just stop working sometimes.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
A lot of rear end to cover.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Wengy posted:

No one who's used the 3 on iOS 7 for any length of time would write this. Come on.

7.0.3 sped up the wallpaper delay issue fairly well, and that was my only (infrequent) issue with the 3. No other complaints to speak of.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

MrBond posted:

The store does though. If you want to be safe, buy the verizon version and stock up on SIMs from tmobile and att.

I did this when I got my iPad 3 while I was in the Army, and wasn't sure if where I was going to be stationed would have better Verizon or AT&T service. I never ended up using the Verizon SIM, but the peace of mind was nice. I wonder how many Verizon devices they have sold that never used that network?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

eddiewalker posted:

Black makes the screen colors look deeper, I think.

This. After black iPads (1 & 2), I wanted to switch things up and went with a white 3. I regret it, especially when consuming media in the dark. When watching videos in bed and the like the white bezel is distracting.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

WeAreDevo posted:

I'm very new to iPads and just got my first. I got an Amazon basics bluetooth keyboard and notice that there appears to be no keyboard shortcut for "send" and that you have to awkwardly reach out and tap "send" for every text or email or native facebook app post. It appears that iOS just doesn't support that, and my checking around on google seems to only confirm this, unfortunately.

Has anyone found a way to have a bluetooth keyboard shortcut work for "send"?

Or is it really just one of those stupid Apple things, like how they can innovate some incredible, wonderful new features but at the same time completely drop the ball on a few essentials such as a keyboard shortcut for "send"?

If the "return" key does what "shift+return" does via the on-screen keyboard, then maybe "shift+return" on the bluetooth keyboard will make it send?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Endless Mike posted:

A Verizon iPad 4 will not work on AT&T LTE. It will work on 3G, though, which should be plenty fast for basic web browsing and such. They didn't unify the wireless stuff until the iPad Air and retina iPad Mini.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP662

You sure? My Verizon iPad 3 works with AT&T LTE and 4G just fine.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

kitten smoothie posted:

Does it say LTE in the status bar, or 4G?

When I was in a bigger city I swear it said LTE, but where I live now it says 4G (it's a smallish town and we will probably never get LTE).

I could be remembering wrong though. Either way, I know it isn't limited to 3G (unless "4G" just means 3G, for some reason).

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Crackbone posted:

I have been unable to break ad ipad using telekinesis. Therefore all ipads are immune to my mind powers.

hosed up if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
My 5S is still on 7.0.6 (JB) and I can't remember the last time I had a crash.