Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DarkJC posted:

They're all just wishes. Apple went through a lot of effort to move all of their iOS device launches to September/October, including launching a new iPad 6 months after the previous one.

I don't see why they'd launch any in June this year.
The dumbest news item I saw was that a case-maker is going to start selling iPad 5 cases starting next week. Like, there's a picture of the case and everything. They started producing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Lapre posted:

There were thousands of cases for the rumored teardrop iphone that never came out.
Do they just dump that poo poo in a landfill or what?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dexter6 posted:

But even if you get the shape right, what are the chances that it actually fits? Like if it's off by 1mm it will either not fit or fall off. I literally have no idea how this works in any scenario.
I had a cheap tpu ipod touch 4th gen case that I bought around launch date online and the manufacturer definitely didn't take the smaller volume and power buttons into account, so I had to slice away the material to reliably push them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't care about the color but I hope they change the body to look like the 5/5S.
If the leaks are true, we kinda already know the body. It'll just be like the iPad mini (and the iPod Touch) where the edges are more cupped instead of razor-sharp (thankfully no more digging into my palm) and the bezel on the sides will be thin.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Tacorleone posted:

I hope the next iPad is more than "It's the Mini thin bezel but bigger and somewhat faster". If it isn't, I still need a new one, but would be cool if they added some new feature that separated it from the old one. Maybe even thinner, or a new screen or something.

Last year they re-introduced Mac Minis, and some new Retina Macbooks, so maybe product updates for those, maybe a mention for the Darth Vader Mac, and again, no iWatch rumors at all, so probably nothing on that front. OSX Mavericks is GM already so they'll likely have it available same day or same week. With Windows 8.1 being free from Microsoft for certain customers, I wonder if Apple will still charge 19.99 for Mavericks, go lower, or maybe even release it for free (!)

So anyway, fill those 2 previous paragraphs with superfluous poo poo to hit 550 words and you have a gizmodo article.
Well, there is the fingerprint sensor and separate motion processor, probably.

I wish they would update the iPod Touch every year instead of this new 2-year refresh thing they've got going.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just want another iPod Touch refresh, is that so hard to ask?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I pay $25 a month for a cheap-rear end Android phone on Virgin Mobile that I barely use and carry around a 64gb iPod Touch for a great camera, HD recording, games, and web-stuff when on WiFi.

I'm the market for the Touch. And I don't want to invest in jorts for a Mini when I have a full-sized iPad at home.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Virgin Mobile offers a iPhone 5 on contract for $30.
Contract. I pay month to month.
Edit: Actually, if it's month to month as well, then they make you buy the phone, which is still a ton more than an iPod Touch. I use maybe 5 minutes of phone time every month if that. I just can't justify an expensive phone.

Edit 2: 64gb iPhone 5 is $584.99 compared to $399.99 iPod Touch (a year after its release). iPod Touch is more comparable to a widescreen 4s, but the 5 is still last year's model.

Virgin Mobile, for all its cheap plans, has pretty poo poo coverage, though. Not a recommendation if you want to have a serious big-boy phone. I can see your argument, but it's not an ideal situation.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 16, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Back to iPad discussion for me, I hope they bump the tiers finally to 32/64/128 and leave the 16 maybe for the mini to start at.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

smackfu posted:

Here's a discussion point for y'all: if they release an iPad mini Retina, will they still sell the old iPad mini and just charge more for the Retina?
I hope not, we should be getting off the A5 processor and moving on to the A6/A7 and the RAM upgrades that come with new models. Full steam ahead, I say.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

echobucket posted:

Looks like we get a live stream today. Yay

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/
Anyone know a live stream that works on Windows computers?
Please don't say http://www.ustream.tv/ltktv because I HATE those guys from the last live stream. They were talking nonstop and covering the stream with their stupid "follow me on twitter" jokes and cut-away shots.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thwomp posted:

They still have the iPod Classic on the Apple Store so who knows really how long they'll keep the iPad 2 around for.
I'm glad they have the iPod Classic. They still need that until they pass 160gb flash memory at the same pricepoint.

I prefer having a few specialized devices rather than one device that does everything (for battery life and HDD space concerns).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hamburlgar posted:

I've not updated my iPad 3 to OS7 as I'm jailbroken on 6.1.2 and and still more than 100% satisfied with it. I really don't see the hate for it. Even with the weaker RAM I have not experienced the tab refreshing you guys keep mentioning.

Maybe by the time the iPad 6 or whatever comes out It'l be time for an upgrade, but neither the 4 that my partner has or the 'air' have sounded/looked good enough to need to upgrade.
iPad 3 has a gig of RAM, which is the max on all current iOS devices.
The later iPhones have a different type of RAM, but they're all 1 gig, so the refreshing issue will probably stay at whatever level it is now unless the Air ups the amount (doubtful).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tacier posted:

I'm surprised so many people want touch ID in their iPads.
I don't want it for the unlock, I want it for entering my iTunes password.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

sbyers77 posted:

So what color iPad Air are you people planning to buy?

I am on the fence between space gray with the black bezel and silver with a white bezel. With the iPhone I've always gone black because I like the black bezel, but with iOS7 I think the white bezel compliments it well - so now I am not sure.
I want to try something new this time, too (I've gone white bezel w/ green Smart Cover twice now), but I just don't really like the color combos on any of the other colors.

I'm probably going to be boring and pick white and green again...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is annoying me recently (like it might have only started today), but it seems like no one's mentioning it on the internet yet:

YouTube is cracking down on the mp4 streams it gives out now and all embedded youtube videos played on iOS devices seem to be the 360p horribly compressed feed with no option to increase resolution without opening the YouTube app or going to their site in a browser. My normal YouTube viewer app, Jasmine, has also been affected and now it can only display the low-res streams.

I'm depressed about this change. Am I just the first one to discover this?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Google is kind of turning into assholes :/
As a brief update, Jasmine can be fixed by going into its settings in-app and changing the preferred quality from "auto" to a higher setting.

You can tell it's working because each video first tries to give you the 360p version, then quickly swaps over to the HD one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Everyone gooooo, stores up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I kinda don't like the new Smart Cover (3-fold) over the old one (4-fold) because you can't fold it against itself at the halfway point and make it stick with the magnets anymore. That arrangement formed a natural finger groove, too...

I'm trying an accordion-like fold now but it's not as good.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

withak posted:

With three panels it can't fold into a stand, right? That sounds way worse then the previous smart covers.
Yeah, it still can.

I find myself completely removing it when I use the iPad for reading or browsing since I can't fold it on itself as a handgrip anymore. Still works well as a stand (either orientation) and protective cover, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, it's better at that. On my iPad 3, you could fold into a triangle, but to keep it standing up, you had to have the felt on the outside of the stand. The new Smart Cover has it so the outside of the cover is on the outside of the stand, which makes way more sense.

Feenix posted:

I would argue it doesn't work well as a stand. With 3 panels all you get is a faint magnetic lock if you get it just right and a slight knock, bump or tug it completely undoes itself.
As Steve Jobs would say, "you're folding it wrong."

While you are able to fold it the other way as well, the officially endorsed method is felt outward. That's why it collapses if you push too much on it with the felt inside.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ddogflex posted:

Why did they ruin the smart covers?! I'm really way more bummed than I should be about this. I've had the smart cover since the iPad 2 came out and I goddamned loved folding it in half and using it as a grip. With the iPad Air I constantly feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. I'm seriously half tempted to return the iPad and go back to my 3, but my girlfriend would kill me as I already gave it to her. The "smart case" is just as bad as the smart case for the iPad 2/3/4, just now in leather. I used mine for all of 5 minutes and hated it so it's getting returned today. Guess I'm going to deal with the 3-panel smart cover and just hate life. Maybe I'll get use to it eventually? I just hate the idea of holding onto the felt constantly.

I feel like such a baby complaining about this stuff, but it's seriously weird after being so use to the old cover. It was perfect!
I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I just take the smart cover off now when I'm using the device (unless I need to use the stand) and hook it back on when I'm done. The accordion style grip where you fold it a bunch of times just wasn't comfortable either.

I'm okay with this because the Air feels like a giant iPod Touch which I use without a case anyway. The lighter weight and smoother corners really makes a difference compared to the iPad 3.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/05/rumor-foxconn-testing-production-of-larger-screened-ipad-for-2014-release

quote:

Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release
By Shane Cole

Longtime Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is currently testing a new, large-format iPad with the purportedly king-sized device slated to debut next spring, according to a new report out of Mainland China.

Many believe the new iPad Air could be joined by a larger-screened sibling as soon as next year.

The tablet would sport a display diagonal of either 11.4 or 12.9 inches and is in an advanced stage of testing, according to Chinese tablet news site PadNews. The site says Apple could be targeting a March 2014 unveiling.

Rumors and predictions have been swirling around what many journalists have dubbed the "iPad maxi" for months. In July, the normally reliable Wall Street Journal got into the game, saying that sources indicated to the paper that Apple has prototyped a new category of iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally."

The Journal's report was followed in September by word from a different Chinese publication that Apple had a 12-inch iPad in the works with another old collaborator, Quanta Computer. Among others, Quanta has had a hand in manufacturing iPods and recent MacBook Air units for Apple.

Analysts also expect to see a scaled-up iPad. Following the unveiling of the 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s, Barclays Capital's Ben A. Reitzes made the case for a 13-inch iPad with a convertible clamshell form factor, saying that considerations for such a device may have spurred the seemingly early shift to a 64-bit architecture for iOS devices.
Ugh, hope not. Of course, for selfish reasons since I picked up an Air, but also because I can't see a 12-inch iPad being that marketable at a high price.

I dunno, maybe there would be a market for an ultra-premium iPad?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just traded in an iPad 1 and got $200 gift card in 3 minutes.
The guy didn't even turn on the iPad to check if it worked, he just filled out the computer form and added my device to the stack of 6 other iPad 1s that had also been traded in that afternoon.

This is a really good deal, goons, and if you want to get the most possible money for your iPad 1, this is your very last chance.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BuckT.Trend posted:

What styluses (styli?) are you all using with your iPads? Instead of taking pen-and-paper notes at work, I'm looking to transition to taking them electronically so that I can index and search more easily. I suppose I could get a keyboard for my Air and type up notes in meetings, but since I often need to draw diagrams, sketch floor plans, etc. I think a good stylus/handwriting note app is a better investment.

I saw the Amazon Basics stylus in the OP, but since I'm impatient and don't want to wait/pay for shipping, I went down to the big-box store and got an Adonit Jot Pro. I chose it because it was the most "pen-like" and had the finest point. The rubber-tipped models I tried out felt like I was writing with jumbo preschool crayons.

While I like the Jot Pro in the couple of hours I've been playing with it, I'm a little worried about the plastic disc falling off at an inopportune time, scratching my screen.

Any suggestions?
If anyone's looking for a standard stylus, definitely listen to the other goons, but I thought I'd throw out a fun "this is cool" suggestion. If you don't mind spending a little more and want an artsy experience, try the Sensu Brush/Stylus.

I know, it's $40, but it's pretty cool how it can transform between stylus (on par with standard Boxwave-style tips) and brush. Of course the brush only makes a single point of contact, so it's mostly an illusion, but it has a nice feel when you're working in apps that create fake brushstrokes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SaturdayKnight posted:

My brand new iPad Air is having a very minor, yet annoying issue. Keyboard transparency. Every screenshot I see online shows the keyboard as being transparent, just like on the iPhone, but mine doesn't do this.

Restarting doesn't make it work, a system restore didn't change it, increase contrast is not turned on in settings, turning on and off does not change the keyboards, and the rest of the UI has transparency just like you'd expect. Why are my keyboards broken, and just the keyboards only?
Can you link us a screenshot with a transparent keyboard? I don't think I've ever seen that. My keyboard is opaque.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hakkesshu posted:

This is awful. I have a 3 and everything takes forever to load now. Also you can't play videos in full screen through a HDMI adapter anymore, you just get a black screen with sound. It might not be the most elegant way to get internet video through my TV, but that is still a feature that should loving work, because I never had problems before.

Edit: Half the time when I browse these forums it doesn't even load a whole loving page. This is the most broken poo poo.
Yeah, this broke my video-out for a lot of different apps using my analog composite video-out cable.

Strangely (and fortunately enough), the Crunchyroll app still does video-out through the cable.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RVProfootballer posted:

Is that like a cooking how-to videos app? I have been looking for possible kitchen uses, I might have to give it a try.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

no it's an anime streaming app

don't look at me

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Eh, iCab Mobile all the way, baby.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

randyest posted:

The battery life is the same. What does "shrunk" mean?
Based on one review I read (maybe... Engadget? I forget which), the iPad Air had about 13:30 hours and the iPad Air 2 had about 11 hours. The battery capacity number was listed as less as well.

As long as tablets get 10 hours of real-world use, I'm happy. This way I usually estimate remaining life at 10% per hour, which is easy to gauge.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know this gets asked fairly regularly, but what's the current de-facto app for using my iPad as a wireless monitor with minimal latency? I've recently upgraded my PC and it'd be cool to be able to play some games while I'm in bed with a wireless gamepad.
Try Splashtop, that's pretty close to real-time display, plus you can control your computer through it as a touchscreen. Dunno if any better competitors have come out since its release, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How about the bug that Apple introduced in iOS 9 and hasn't patched yet where the Volume Bar doesn't appear if you use a Smart Cover to wake the iPad (until you swipe up from the bottom to access the volume controls, then it's okay until it sleeps again).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7224014?tstart=0

It was only mildly annoying back in the fall, but I expected them to fix it with their little .1 patches over time and it's still there.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just posted this in the event thread, but I'm disappointed that the event gave us a $100-more baseline iPad model that has less space than I need and a $149 increase over that to get more space than I'll need.

It just bumped all the prices up for a "real" iPad even though it's the natural progression from the last model (Air 2). It's this fake-rear end premium that's tacked on because it's called "Pro." Plus, there's no 64gb option, so the 128gb price at $749 is painful to me.

I had wanted to upgrade from my Air 1 64gb model and pass it down the line to my mom who deals with using an iPad 2 still, but that price is just looming over me.

EDIT: Hahahaha, just checked the price for their magical keyboard for the 10-inch model: $149 are you kidding get the gently caress outta here!
It's never good when a site doesn't list the price and instead makes you click a button called "view pricing."

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 21, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A few pages back, someone mentioned that 9.3 fixed the invisible volume controls bug when you wake your ipad with the sleep cover.
I'm on 9.3.1 on an iPad Air and the bug is still there. Really, Apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Agreed, I'm still painfully on an iPad Air 1, but the fact that this didn't even go to an A13X is making me realize that if I bought now, it would just be as obsolete as the previous model in the coming years. I'm gonna wait yet again...