Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, I'd like an iPad, and the new iPad air seems really nice, but the whole Apple upselling structure is stressing me out in regards to storage space. I'm very unlikely to ever be editing video on the thing, there's a small chance I could at some point use it for recording audio down the line (although would probably still prefer to edit audio in Audacity on my PC), but otherwise it'll mostly for google docs/sheets/setting pdfs/watching things/reading books and comics, and this seems like it'll last a fair number of years before I have to worry about multitasking that stuff making things chug. Would I be fine with 64 gig? Is my stubbornness over not wanting to play the game and creeping up to the next tier/ipad pro/etc just aggravate me down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

To me, it’s just worth it to pay the extra 70-150 and future proof my purchase for awhile. It saves on future hassle and frustration.

I've just looked on UK Amazon, and the 2021 128GB iPad pro is the same price as the 256 2022 ipad air. Is there any reason to get this year's air over last year's pro, save for that cool blue body?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Won't you have the thing in a case anyway?

No because I am a fool and I like the sleek feel of naked technology

I'm leaning towards the pro as I don't think I'd need that much storage what with cloud stuff and I'm used to my high refresh rate phone and monitor. But is there an argument for getting the air in terms.of longer term support/updates from Apple? Is there an argument for waiting a couple months to see if a new pro lands?
I feel like my brain is poisoned by the opinions of a thousand YouTubers and tech blogs.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Feels weird that a year later the new iPad is a Pro with a worse display for the same price unless you can live with 64gb of storage. Anyone who bought a launch M1 Pro 350+ days ago wins the value wars.

It’s been interesting watching you go through the exact same process I did Grumbles.

Yeah I just feel like their whole fucky pricing ladder has caused this huge choice paralysis in me, as opposed to just pushing me up the tree or whatever the psychology is.

The 128 pro is actually 20 quid cheaper than the 256 iPad air on Amazon right now, so I'm tempted to just go for that, and get the nice screen and speakers (I like the idea of using it as an internet radio/portable music player with decent sound). Getting a 144 hz monitor and the effect that had on general browsing/desktop stuff was one of those tectonic, no-going-back upgrades for my PC on par with getting my first SSD, which is why I think it'll make a big difference on the whole feel of the iPad.

But thanks everyone for your input, its appreciated.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
UK goons - the Curry's clearance store page on eBay is currently listing some iPad pros listed as refurbished, but they're actually just new items with damaged boxes, sold at a huge discount. I just pulled the trigger on a 2021 11 inch M1 pro for 600 quid, which is kind of an obscene deal. They have a few items still there - do take a look if you're in the market.

edit: oooh they have magic keyboards too - I've kind of blown my budget (and I have a nice USB c mechanical keyboard I wanna use on the go with it anyway) but same deal - new items with damaged boxes at steep discounts.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 26, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I mean depends on the person but I feel the Gmail app is better in that it hides all the not quite spam filter worthy promo stuff to it's own tab, thus mitigating any old person mishaps.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've had my 11 inch pro for about a week, and I use it way more for browsing and whatever, so timewise its definitely my main computer. I write for a living but also have a terrible attention span so it's been helpful for when I've just needed to focus on a piece of writing to just plug in a usbc keyboard and go for it. But if I'm working on something that needs constant reference to more than one or two other sources, or some kind of hellish spreadsheet, the screen real estate of my desktop will probably come in handy.

But if I wanted to go to a cafe and work on some copy I wouldn't think twice about bringing it along with some kind of lil keyboard.
There are a lot of weird grabby gestures to flip between apps, but the processor handles it really well and it always feels snappy. Last iPad I had was an iPad 2, and trying to work on it was a huge pain - apps were always getting kicked out of memory. This feels like way more.of a real computer, I hope the os updates keep heading in the right direction.

But as others have suggested, I think ultimately you'll know before you buy the thing if it works for your use case in place of a real laptop. It's still a huge iPhone in a lot of ways.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Stage manager looks like one of those gimmicks that works awesomely for a couple very specific workflows and gets forgotten by everyone else but I guess the windowing and more functional file system is a start?

Honestly, the stage manager stuff feels pretty fundamental and not like a gimmick to me - I have a pretty generic office workflow - coupla browser tabs, coupla google docs, coupla spreadsheets, email client - which is probably shared by most people - and from what I've seen this is gonna essentially mean I can bring my iPad to work and use that instead of the crappy ancient work Dell. Especially if the whole external monitor thing works smoothly. I'm pretty stoked about it!

edit: the only thing that might suck is that it doesn't seem like there's currently any way to charge the iPad and have it physically plugged into an external monitor, without having the super expensive magic keyboard accessory. We'll see how long a full battery lasts on a day of office computing but I'm not optimistic about that aspect

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

USB C hubs with Power Delivery in and HDMI out (plus other ports) go on sale for like $12 or $15.

Oh perfect, thank you.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It's literally just a fancy looking Windows Task Manager moved to the left side instead of the bottom.

Yes, which combined with having windowed apps seems like it'll make doing actual work on the thing a whole lot easier.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Worth it to upgrade to an m1? Or whatever 2022 air from 2020?

I got an M1 11 inch 128gb iPad pro for around £600, at which price it basically felt like I'd got the new iPad air at a storage level/price point that made sense for actual use. Because rumours are abound for a new pro, there are deep discounts around for last year's model, so I'd totally recommend that route unless you think you'll really need the 256gb air.

Do kinda feel like I've missed out on the fancy colours though. That blue seems really nice.

Edit: and I honestly can't imagine what extra oomph you'd get from an m2 chip in the future iPad. The M1 feels seriously underutilized as-is.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 15, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

I've got an 11' M1 iPad Pro. It's probably the nicest display I own, and the pixel density also means that using it in bed/held in my hands to watch stuff just as good, if not better, than watching TV on an actual television. A TV with that kind of picture quality big enough for the living room would cost some serious money, so for watching stuff alone or with a partner this is ideal.

It's also slowly replacing my laptop - my work revolves around lots of writing, and a little bit of emails, spreadsheets and research, and it's really perfect for that, when paired with a wireless keyboard and folio stand it does everything I'd need a laptop to do, in a much sleeker package with a nice interface. And I know this is counter to a lot of people's problems with iPads compared to laptops, but as someone with a terrible, ADHD level attention span who finds it pathologically hard to focus, I find it a much better desktop environment for focusing on most work tasks compared to my PC. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a macbook, but I don't, and I'm really loving using the iPad as a 'time to focus' work machine.

I also have it on hand when I'm in the office - if I've got to proofread something or do some research it's really nice to have something I can hold and read in my hands. I also take it to meetings because it's less obtrusive than a laptop, easier to share/show things to people, but is also separate from my phone, with more breathing room. And I don't want things like work emails/documents on my phone for lots of other reasons.

I still use my PC a lot, but I've barely used my laptop since getting the iPad for most other stuff work and non work - it just feels a lot better to use on the sofa or in bed, and it's blazingly fast and snappy for browsing the web, watching tv, etc. It's also taken over a lot of stuff that I would have normally done on my phone - reading the news when I'm waking up, etc.

So it's kind of taken a few things off the computer, and a few things off the phone. I'm really happy with it. If you'd like to use it more as a computer, I'd recommend looking into one of the wireless keyboards. I've got a Nuphy Air60, which comes with a cool folio designed for the iPad.

Oh and the speakers on this thing are seriously excellent. Any time I'm going somewhere where I'd normally want a portable speaker - while cooking in the kitchen, lazing in the park, etc etc, I now just grab the iPad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

So basically I should get a keyboard case and use it as a lil laptop? I can't really use it for work since id need a fully functioning development environment. I wish I could though because it'd be great to not have to always bring my laptop when I'm taking a short trip somewhere.

I'm sitting outside right now watching the hockey game on it which is pretty nice. My laptop could do it but it would be spinning its fans and probably at 15% battery after one period.

Don’t sleep on portrait mode. For me it’s the most comfortable way to hold the thing and browse the web/read stuff.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Xabi posted:

It seems like Apple has managed to sell us a device none of us really need (unless you don’t already have a laptop and a phone).

I think for most basic computery stuff a tablet is by far the most accessible and friendly device. I think about when my grandma got her first computer in like 2005 and she had to pay someone to come round once a week and literally train her to use it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Really liking using my low-profile mechanical keyboard with the iPad, but I do feel like I’m missing out on a mouse/trackpad.

I’m wondering whether its worth just stumping up for an Apple Pencil. I’m not a visual artist (although my partner is and would probably appreciate the chance to noodle around on it, even though this isn’t her primary device), but I do like the idea of note taking, and just using the stylus for general navigation. It also seems nice and compact in terms of portability and isn’t gonna be another big clunky object rattling around in my bag. Is that foolish? Am I an idiot? If so, are there wireless mice/trackpads people would recommend that are fairly light/portable?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, do not buy the pencil expecting it to be anything approaching a mouse alternative. if you miss a trackpad/mouse, buy a magic trackpad or a deec mouse.

Are there any good portable mice people would recommend? Bonus points if I can toggle between bluetooth on the iPad and low-latency dongle-style wireless on the PC.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I like everything about the ipad pro folio case, like the way you can use it as a stand, how thin it is, and especially the way it snaps on magnetically, making it really easy to take the device out when you want to use it outside of the case for whatever reason. But it still leaves those same drat 3 streaks down the screen, which is kind of astonishing considering it was a problem with the original folio case back when I had my iPad 2. Anyone got any good recommendations for similar cases that don't smudge up the screen so badly? The convenience of it being magnetic rather than snap-in is probably the most important factor for me.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, I gave it a go. I think the window resize stuff is gonna take some getting used to. I am curious to try it plugged into an external monitor at work. I think it could be really useful then. Also I’m kind of disappointed that you can’t customise the lock screen as in the iPhone version. However, I’m currently dictating this post via the revamped voice stuff and it works better than it’s ever worked before so that’s good. Keeping the keyboard open makes things a lot easier.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Was looking forward to using the new extended display feature, but it looks like it’s not quite ready yet on the beta - won’t detect my monitor at work. Might be because I’m going HDMI -) DVI through an adapter, but honestly they’re the same signal so it really ought to just work. Struggled to detect my home monitor, which was more straightforwardly just HDMI via the USBC hub plugged into the iPad, although that one did decide to connect eventually for whatever arbitrary reason. Oh well! Anyone else struggling to get external displays to work?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Easiest solution for Windows is honestly probably just to get a free google drive account, and then use the google drive app on the ipad to save files locally

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

None of that is worth multiple hundreds of dollars to me

I got my 128gb pro new for about £40 more than the cost of the 2022 64gb iPad Air. There are deals about now the new announcements loom, although this one was a damaged box outlet store deal so an even deeper discount. But yes it’s worth checking eBay, outlet stores, etc. As always with Apple stuff, the Apple Store itself should be your very last port of call. Even Amazon usually does a bit of a discount.

Edit: wait never mind I didn’t see your prior post - you already own an iPad, you’re just looking to justify your purchase. I mean the colour options are cool!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Is this really a fair comparison though? You are comparing the normal cost of the iPad Air with a deeply discounted iPad Pro. The fair comparison is to also painstakingly look for a deeply discounted iPad Air and compare those prices. Maybe Pros go on sale more often? But what would the cause of that be?

It goes on sale more often because it’s a year or so older I imagine? The new air is a lil too fresh for the seriously deep discounts. I bought my pro a couple of months ago, so I did painstakingly look for discounted 2022 airs initially. The whole comparison also gets jacked up by the fact that 64gb isn’t enough but 256 is excessive and expensive, which are the two options for an air.

So yeah, if you can find a 128gb pro for less than the cost of a 256 air, that’d 100% be my recommendation.

Mister Facetious posted:

If the M1 Air had come in last year's green I would have bought it; no questions asked... :sigh:

gently caress TouchID though.

To be honest, Face ID is great when you’re holding the thing in your hand. But I think I’d actually prefer touch ID for a lot of use cases - for example, if it’s just in the room with you as you’re cooking, or if it’s on a stand at your desk, it’s kind of annoying to have to sort of bend into the iPad to let it unlock. Would be much easier just to have a thing on the corner to touch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

If there's one thing my use case has shown, I never have it "lying flat", thanks to the smart folio cover I bought. It's always standing up. So FaceID and tap to wake would be key upgrades over my 9th gen.
Oh, I don't mean lying flat - I mean standing upright is where it's most fussy.
You kind of have to square up to it for it to register. So it's fine if its in your hand, but when it's standing up is usually the worst moment to face-id because it's probably not going to be level with your face. So if I've got it standing in its folio on the kitchen counter (or even on my desk a lot of the time), I have to hunch into the thing for it to clock me - whereas touchID would be a lot quicker I think.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kirios posted:

Honestly it makes the iPhone holdouts that say Lightning is fine and they don't need to change it sound ridiculous. USB-C on iPad is wonderful - they need to freaking modernize the iPhone.

Absolutely. Having an android phone and an apple tablet has its annoying moments, but it's nice to just take the one charger to work with me in the morning.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Snowy posted:

I’ve been interested in getting an iPad for a long time but I’m cheap. Luckily for me I just found out I have credit card points I didn’t know about and have $400 in apple credit.

I’m looking at the 256gb Air-I only really want the thing for videos, SA on a bigger screen, and learning how to use procreate. The base model would probably be fine for me but maybe I’d want the second gen pencil.

Does that seem like a good first iPad choice these days?

Yeah I don’t like that either. I have the low end AirPods and I love them. I can keep them in my ears and barely notice them and the don’t block any sound. Great for use at work.

Yeah it seems great, they're about to update the OS, and 256gb is plenty.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Snowy posted:

Cool thank you :)

Is there a preferred 3rd party case that works with the 2nd gen pencil? My cheapskatedness prevents me from buying apple cases

If you do want a cheapskate (but Apple made) case, often the smart folio cases released with previous gen iPads will get sold at a pretty deep discount, new, on places like eBay. I don't know why, because they're identical to the new ones but with different colour choices, but there you go. I got my smart folio case for maybe 30 quid, vs 80 from Apple's site? You just need to check that it's compatible and will fit the camera notch. But any 11' iPad pro or Air case should work with the iPad air.

It only really protects the screen and the back, which is ideal for my use case of chucking the thing in my backpack, so if you're likely to need something more rugged then definitely go for one of the chunky 3rd party cases, but for me those things make the device lose all its sleekness and it feels like something from 90's sci fi. Like Red Dwarf of The Fifth Element or something. Which is cool, in a way, I guess. Anyway what I also really love about the folio case is it just clips on magnetically, so it's really easy to take the ipad out of at a moments notice without having to pry out the edges like some other cases. Doubles as a stand too!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's prob worth checking that they're M1 Airs and not 2020 airs - only because you'll miss out on a lot of stuff in the new iPadOS updates with the older machines.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Cannot for the life of me to get display mirroring or external display workin with the 2021 iPad pro. Can anyone recommend a usbc dongle which they know for sure works, which I can plug an HDMI cable, a USB device, and a USBc charger cable into? I've so far been through two and neither seems to get the ipad to send HDMI to a display and I can't figure out why.

I'm using this one, if anyone has any insight as to why it wouldn't be working. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081VBSNRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 At one point through plugging in/unplugging stuff, I did get something up on my monitor, and then I was able to use display mirroring/external display w/ the iPadOS beta, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

From my experience adapters can be finicky as fuuuuuuck.

Have you tried the official Apple adapter?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...8c314db54f5dc23

No, because it's really expensive - hoping there's a more sanely priced option out there which actually works

edit: I found one used for 1/3 of the price at CeX. Let's give it a go. All I wanna do is be able to use stage manager on a big screen at work, so I can pretend I get to use a mac at work

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's kinda my point. You're now going on generic third party dongle #3 to find one that works. Some accessories don't really matter, but sometimes you gotta go with official brand products or ones from more reputable brands like Belkin or Logitech.

Noooo as in I found an official one for 1/3 the price at CEX, which is a second hand electronics ship here in the UK. It was £30 as opposed to the £80 which Apple wanna charge new.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Noooo as in I found an official one for 1/3 the price at CEX, which is a second hand electronics ship here in the UK. It was £30 as opposed to the £80 which Apple wanna charge new.

Okay so I’ve been really curious about stage manager and have now had a couple of days to roadtest it as my main work monitor, because I generally find the mac interface a lot easier to focus in on work than a windows machine.
If they can iron out the kinks, this has the potential to be a killer feature - plug it into the monitor and you’re essentially getting an entry level mac for casual browsing/light office stuff. There’s just currently a lot of wonk to it. For example it always feels like you’re fighting against the windows to lay them out how you’d like them vs how Apple wants to curate them on the screen.

You can tell there’s a logic to how they sit - whether a window overlaps another or shares the screen with another, the kinds of set sizes that windows prefer to be - but the logic isn’t always obvious and although it does look really visually nice it feels like there should be a better middle ground between malleability and aesthetics. One of the strengths of iOS is that even though it’s really nice to look at, it also feels kind of effortless and invisible, and they haven’t quite nailed that balance here.

Also just a ton of bugs. A lot of apps in their current state clearly don’t like being resized, and you’re always hitting weird limitations. For example, if you want one safari window on the iPad screen and another on the monitor you’ve got to jimmy stuff around a little until it works as it should. And a lot of apps clearly just don’t like being resized or shared across screens. Google Docs in particular isn’t currently optimised for this (or does weird stuff where for example you’ll be typing on one screen and all text disappears off the other).

It’s still pretty great (with the caveat of overly curated window placement), and if they can iron out all the bugs I really think it turns the iPad into the tiny computer it was always meant to be, and really highlights how much the M1 chip has going for it. Probably wouldn’t use it without the second display on my 11’’ iPad though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Thanks for this, it sounds like we have a really similar use case.

I was most worried about how the already unstable Citrix app would handle it but thankfully my work is transitioning more towards web apps and Teams, so I’m thinking my iPad will be my WFH device once the bugs are squished and iPadOS 16 actually comes out.

Teams works fine. Outlook currently can get a bit stressed on the second screen. I ended up switching over to Google Docs via safari and it worked a whole lot better than the app. If you’re remoting into network drives you may have to get file manager apps depending on the protocol.

Hopefully a lot of the buggy stuff with be straightened out for launch. As a person with zero self control, I’m looking forward to working on something that doesn’t have access to, let’s say, my entire steam library.

I’d say if people are thinking about buying one for stage manager, just get a laptop. But if you already have one, it’s a cool extra dimension to the device.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok so I’ve been using Stage Manager via a display for the whole last week at work and I think… I really like it? It took about as much getting used to as jumping from PC to mac (or vice versa), particularly with how you create new windows and add them to your screen, as well as how windows decide to arrange and overlap. It can also sometimes be a bit confusing which apps do and don’t let you create different windows, and how to separate those windows between displays. Another minor thing on the Pro is because the refresh rates are so different, the secondary display can feel slow (even though it’s genuinely very snappy), just because you have another screen running at 120hz right below it.

But otherwise, if your day to day just involves a lot of typing into docs, spreadsheets and emails - with occasionally cross-referencing or researching via the web, Stage Manager is a pleasant and focused way to do all that. And it does come down to taste, but I just think the environment is a lot nicer to look at than my work Win10 machine, which if I’m staring at it all day is for me an important consideration.

This is notwithstanding all the bugs of course, which you’d expect to be squashed by the time it’s released. Most of these are apps getting stressed out when you move them between the two displays, or generally not displaying properly in stage manager mode, so it’ll be a combination of iOS and app updates I guess.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I am due to upgrade from my base level 6th gen in the coming months, and the value proposition isn’t quite so obvious when I use mine mostly as a streaming consumption device so 64gb on the Air is more than enough. I still have like 12gb free on my 32gb iPad.

Like, is 120hz and Face ID worth a $250 upcharge over the Air, after speccing out the lowest options on each model and include Applecare+ which costs more on the Pro? Ugh, it’s close, but probably not.

Nope! And you might even find touchID quicker and preferable, depending on how you use your iPad.

If you’re an artist and use the pencil, you might notice the higher refresh rate more. But you’re probably fine without it otherwise.

I really like my pro, but the air seems like a real good tablet.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Even though a 128GB pro is only $50 more than a 256GB Air, which was my question at the start of this?

Shop around for some deals - if you can find an 11 inch pro for less than a 256 gig air ( as I did) then go for it. Otherwise, don’t willingly climb the Apple pricing ladder. Or, wait a few weeks.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Erwin posted:

12.9 pro is great for sheet music. I use it all the time in the pit orchestra for musicals, paired with a Bluetooth pedal to change pages.

For couch surfing it’s a bit much.

When I first got the 11 pro - with the intention of it replacing my laptop - I did start to wish that I'd gone a size up. But also, the size up is really loving expensive. And ultimately, I'm really happy with the size of the 11 pro. The screen resolution is so high that it's still great for watching stuff on, and it's honestly the perfect size to hold in your hands and scroll on. I think I'd find the big boi just a bit awkward. For the kind of work I do - typing, essentially - it's great. I wouldn't swap it for the bigger one, unless maybe it was the only screen in the house.

In the new iOS update, you can also shrink the font size in exchange for crunchier lookin pixels. So you've got plenty of space to work on if you need a bit more real estate.

If I still worked around print/design/illustrators, the big one with its fancy colour tech would be great for meetings. So if it's a work thing and you have some way of writing off the tax or expense of whatever - and you're more likely to be using it at a desk or table than in bed - then that makes sense.

I always used to have the approach of 'bigger screen = better', but I've just had to downgrade my huge phone to an iphone mini because it was giving me hand cramps. I've come to realise that with portable stuff your brain does adjust to whatever sized screen you're using - so long as you can read everything okay, it's not gonna be more or less immersive or whatever - and Apple screens are so nice regardless of size that ergonomics are way more important.

It's still probably worth waiting a few weeks to see what gets announced.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
They’re now bringing stage manager to older iPad Pros, but a finger curled on the monkey’s paw and now external monitor support, which is the only good thing about it, won’t ship at launch and will still be M1 exclusive when it does.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kirios posted:

Is it really so demanding that it needs the M1? Just seems like a lovely way to upsell people.

I think the older chips actually don’t have the architecture needed for multiple separate displays.

Last Chance posted:

I thought the external monitor support was just disabled in the latest beta? Was it confirmed that they are releasing iPadOS 16 final with it turned off?

Apparently external monitor stuff is pushed back till “later in the year” according to the tech blogs.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is paying for Applecare+ generally recommended? Someone mentioned it up thread and in general I thought those kinds of extended warranty programs were sort of a ripoff. Is the Apple one different?

I’ve got it on my phone, but my iPad is never in the same sorts of precarious situations so I let it pass me by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

On one level I do understand it, stage manager still feels undercooked and crashy on an external monitor. On the other, ffs I just set up a new desk/monitor to really take advantage of this feature that now may or may not come out before Christmas. Back to the MacBook I guess.

Yeah same, I was ready to go all in on this being my work computer. But honestly having tried using it in the beta it’s nowhere near ready, from either a stability or a design standpoint