Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone had much experiments with Affinity Publisher 2 using InDesign documents? We work with InDesign the office but it would be nice to do a little tweaking at home or on the bus without needing to keep converting files or bringing a big ol’ laptop around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My iPad Pro 10.5 is getting a bit yellow around the edges of the screen. It's only visible when viewing something mostly white like a webpage, but it's still a little annoying to look at. Is this the kind of thing that would need a full screen replacement or is there an easier (read: cheaper) thing that could repair/lessen this?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to delete the documents and data of an app without deleting the whole app? A gacha game I’m playing is taking up nearly 8 gigs total and I want to remove all that junk and re-download the “not full download” content

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My old iPad Pro 10.5" has been getting kind of creaky recently. I don't know if iPads will throttle themselves when the battery degrades as there's no "Battery Health" feature in settings lke on iPhones - and so I don't know if it's something that just getting a battery replacement would fix.

Anyway, most of my usage of the iPad is for rhythm games these days so 120hz is basically a necessity. Am I stuck with having to look at other iPad Pros or has the base range of iPads finally got this feature? I don't really fancy spending too much, which is why I was hoping a battery replacement would be enough.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duckman2008 posted:

iPad 11” pro is a good bet, if you only need 128GB it retails for $1000 new.
£899 is sadly way more than I can justify right now, since my iPhone XS was also barely functional this past while so I've just ordered a 15 Pro.

Apple estimate £129 to replace the battery on this 10.5" Pro which might fix whatever the problem is, though I see a refurbished 3rd Gen 128 GB 11" Pro for £639 with Apple. Still more than I'd want to pay but I may have to look into it! Once I can get a battery diagnostic done on this 10.5" (turned Share Analytics with Apple back on and waiting for it to run so I can see it myself) I'll see what it claims the battery health is like and then maybe take it in for a replacement.

Or I could live the sad life of rhythm games on a 60hz screen iPad.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah seems like this battery is pretty shot!
code:
Battery 0 health info:
{
    "Battery Service Flags" = 35127299;
    "Battery Service State" = 5;
    "Maximum Capacity Percent" = 77;
    calibration0 = "";
}

hatty posted:

Does the UK restrict education pricing still? That will save you a few bucks
Pretty sure they require proof that you’re currently in education.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm looking at the iPad comparison page on Apple's site and it seems to imply that the 11" model didn't go past the 4th generation. I thought both sizes got updates right up to the 6th gen?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

I was thinking about getting a battery replacement for my 1st gen Pro 10.5" (weirdly, the dodgy corner shop replacements here cost more than the £129 for an actual Apple Store one!) but if I can get a second-hand 3rd or 4th gen for not crazy money I might just look into that instead. Is there anything software-wise I'm missing out on by not getting the latest and greatest? It's mostly just used for web browsing but the 120hz screen is a must for games - though it was frustrating on my Pro missing on on stuff like text recognition in photos that my phone can do so an upgrade would be nice for that.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 4, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Flowing Thot posted:

The 11" model is didn't exist for the first 2 generations so the m2 11" pro is 4th gen and the m2 pro 12.9" is gen 6. Yes it is a very dumb way to name things. They are the same otherwise other than screen.
Ahh, thanks for the explainer! Apple really need to drop the "generation" naming. :(

I guess I'll be more than okay with a 3rd gen 11" Pro then if the price is right, I can't imagine the newer one is gonna bring that much of a benefit, even in all the "neural engine" machine learning stuff.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Grumbles posted:

The M1 11' pro barely touches the edges of the CPU because the OS is so limited. And any resource-heavy app is probably something you're going to want to use full-screen anyway, so multitasking is generally an on-starter. I would edit 2hr+ podcasts on mine with like 4 hours of footage up on screen and it never felt like the tablet was struggling to keep up. I think the M2 is only really good if you have a hyper specific workflow where you know exactly what you'll need it for in advance of buying it. Like if you need for some reason to export video at the absolute fastest benchmark speeds.

I really feel like for their tablet lineup they kind of refined themselves into a weird corpo corner by putting the M1 in the air and pro iPads. Unless they go ahead and put an actual desktop OS on those things (or do something super demanding with AI in the future), those tablets are basically completed.
Sounds good! My only worry is Apple's tendency to software-lock OS features from old devices that could absolutely keep up with it, but I'll hit that when it happens if I do decide to upgrade.

trilobite terror posted:

AFAIK there’s no difference between the M1 and M2 iPad Pro beyond the chipset. Woot and Amazon fairly regularly have been selling official refurb and new-old-stock M1 models for like ~50% off, which is how I got my NOS M1 iPad in November. It rips.

There’s a big update coming this year supposedly bringing a full physical redesign of the iPad Pro and its peripherals (Magic Keyboard, etc) with an OLED screen and Magsafe being the marquee features, but they’re also expecting a commensurate price bump.
I think those massive sales are US-only. :( I'll keep an eye out though and hope that maybe they announce a big redesign early which should maybe drop the price of the older models.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I finally have an iPad that can do stage manager and maybe I’m missing something but it seems kinda awful? It’s like Split View except you have less space to work with. Maybe it’s better on a bigger iPad or an external screen but on an 11” iPad I just don’t see how useful it is to have more than two, maybe three apps visible and even three is pushing it for usable space.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I missed the video but is there any new software features they showed off and is it device-locked to the new ones or will the M1 Pro still get anything nice and new?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I keep forgetting Stage Manager is a thing. Disabled it the moment I saw just how much wasted space it had when having two apps side by side. :(

Probably only makes sense on the 12.9" devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems the UK edu store still uses a verification system :(