Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Dicky B posted:

I switched from Command-T to ctrlp for a while because I read somewhere that it's apparently faster, but whenever I try to use it in a large project it doesn't work properly and some files just don't show up at all.

Command-T is essentially the same but seems more robust in my experience, though you'll need to build vim with ruby support enabled.

What really sold me on ctrl-p is that basic insert-mode navigation commands (like ^W for deleting one word back) work on the search term input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

DreadCthulhu posted:

What do you guys use for something like renaming a ubiquitous variable across an entire project? I know there's a way of telling vim to do a substitute with confirmation across all the open buffers. Would you use that or perhaps the shell instead?

I would just use sed.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

DreadCthulhu posted:

I've had 0 problems with it in my experience, both as far as speed and functionality is concerned. I actually had the opposite experience with Command-T, it was super slow for me. Go figure.

With regards to files disappearing, watch out for newly added files to the folder tree, they don't automatically get added to the cache. Press F5 from within the ctrlp buffer to refresh the cache.

Turning off the cache is not as awful as it sounds. For me, a "large" project is around 100k LOC, maybe 500 source files or so, but even on a normal hard drive, the performance impact is barely noticable.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

https://github.com/natw/dotfiles - Here's my dotfile repo, with my vimrc and all that other good stuff. I use submodules and pathogen for plugin management. I can't say it's all in active use, but I've been tending to it for a while.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

astr0man posted:

So vundle is pretty nifty.

Yeah, I tried it out for a bit, but ended up going back to pathogen. Everyone should probably use one of them, just pick whichever feels right.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

I use the railscasts theme. There's a screenshot here, but that looks kind of desaturated or something. I've made a couple changes over the years, stealing a couple things from ir_black, and filling in some gaps.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which plugin manager should I be using today in 2017?

I've used Pathogen, Vundle, and vim-plug. The latter seems the simplest, but they all pretty much work the same. It's nice not to have to deal with submodules (assuming you check your dotfiles into git), though.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

They're manageable. I've realized that I don't actually care about locking every commit of my dotfiles to a specific commit of every vim plugin, though. As rare as it happens, I'm perfectly fine with a fresh dotfiles checkout just pulling the latest versions. So if that's important to you, don't use vim-plug.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't get youcompleteme to work though. I installed it with vim-plug just by adding the "Plug /repo/link" line to my vimrc file and installed it, it says youcompleteme is installed, but I don't get any autocompletion. I've only tried python files as that's all I have available right now but it just doesn't work. Nothing pops up with suggestions like the gif shows on their git repo. Their git repo also has an entire treatise on installing it but I thought all I had to do with add the line to my vimrc if I'm using vim-plug. It's not really clear but I must be missing something since it's not working.

Did you go into the YCM checkout and compile it? That's also something you can set up as a post-pull hook for vim-plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Neovim has terminal mode, which is cool, but still kind of janky.

NeoMake was the reason I switched, and Ale kind of invalidates that now.

• Locked thread