Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
About time for Vim thread. Here's my config. https://bitbucket.org/MalucoMarinero/vimsettings
Some bits don't work as intended, but I try not to spend too much time gardening and just fix things as they become problems, or when I have a little time to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
While some may not agree with me, fully loaded distributions of Vim with every plugin under the sun should be avoided until you have a good grip of the basics. There are some good books out there that'll help you tackle the early stages. I haven't worked all the way through it but it seems pretty well written: http://pragprog.com/book/dnvim/practical-vim

Vim is a very deep editor, especially in the level of customisation it has received. If something goes wrong with all that customisation you'll be lost, so it's much better if you can find stable footing with the core features.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

LaTex Fetish posted:

In case you guys didn't realize, or forgot, 7.3 has relative line numbering.

It's really useful for moving around with the movement keys and in visual mode. You don't have to count lines anymore, or move to the closest curly bracket to jump down.

Also, using 82gg or 98G to fix errors at a line still works. The relative line numbers are purely visual. Here's a snippet from my .vimrc about relative line numbers.

code:
set relativenumber

" Always show line numbers, but only in current window.
:au WinEnter * :setlocal relativenumber
:au WinLeave * :setlocal norelativenumber

" Absolute Line Numbers in Insert Mode
:au InsertEnter * :set number
:au InsertLeave * :set relativenumber

gently caress yeah, that's cool and that's going straight in the .vimrc

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

That drag visual block function at the end is nice!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Chin Strap posted:

As someone who is a really dedicated vim user, is there a reason to try eclim? I don't write Java. I'm not sure what IDE features from Eclipse I'm actually missing out on. My primary languages are Go, R, and Python. Is the stuff from Eclipse just more useful for Java/C++?

Thanks for bringing that up. I'm starting to work in Scala more and it just so happens that the Scala IDE from Typesafe is done with Eclipse so it'd be great if I can connect vim to that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Ag is real loving good for project search.

https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher

It's fast as all get out, has a sensible cli. Just in case you want another option for project searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Your do section for vim-perl maybe overriding default behaviour? I'm not familiar with Vim plug but maybe try removing that...

• Locked thread