Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

astr0man posted:

IDE integration
QtCreator has FakeVim thing built-in. I don't know how much it differs from vim.

astr0man posted:

Recommended Plugins
  • vim-indent-guides — useful when you deal with layout-based languages
  • vim-unimpaired — some useful mappings like inserting new lines above/below or moving text blocks up/down
  • Tabular — aligning text (e.g. :Tab /^[^=]*\zs=/l1l1 to align assignments)
  • vim-powerline — the best statusline :colbert:

I have a complete vimrc too.

MononcQc posted:

Do you ever get to edit a file, delete everything, then start writing new stuff, only to find out, 2 hours later, that you needed something that was in the old version and that you lost it all?
Enabling persistent undo (:help 'undofile', :help 'undodir') in addition to installing GUndo might be a good idea, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

https://code.google.com/p/vimcolorschemetest is pretty helpful when picking a colour scheme.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

I always use relative numbering. Absolute line numbers are not that useful (other than for jumping to, which doesn't need them displayed).

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

I recently found out that you can now set 'relativenumber' and 'number' at the same time, and vim will show an absolute line number for current line and relative line numbers for the rest.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

As someone who is a really dedicated vim user, is there a reason to try eclim? I don't write Java. I'm not sure what IDE features from Eclipse I'm actually missing out on. My primary languages are Go, R, and Python. Is the stuff from Eclipse just more useful for Java/C++?

You're missing out on fun features like forgetting how to render text properly, randomly occurring internal errors, and "restart" option built-in. Eclipse is not very good.

For Python you could take a look at PyCharm, which recently got a free version (it also has Vim emulator, IdeaVim; haven't used it though).

• Locked thread