Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If I interact with vim exclusively through ssh to a cluster of computers I don't control (my university's computer lab), how much can I do to make C code easier to edit? For my first couple of projects I've gone with vim as a pure editor, meaning that there's no intellisense or any real assistance from vim at all. Just basic syntax hilighting seems to work out of the box. Most of the info in the OP seems to assume that I have access to install plugins, which I don't. Can I do anything to make my life easier?

I tried working on my projects in Visual Studio for a while, but most of our projects depend on Linux syscalls and target the Linux environment so it proved to quickly become too annoying to constantly scp my source back to the lab computers to test it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bognar posted:

You could use a local vim to edit files on a remote server:

code:
vim scp://remoteuser@server.tld//path/to/document
If you have write access to a home directory on the server, you can also do something like this to load your .vimrc at startup:

code:
alias vim="vim -c ':source scp://you@your_computer//yourpath/.vimrc'"

I do have a home directory I can access. Forgive me, but do I put this in my .bash_profile? I am not a regular Linux user, so I'm learning as I go here. Similarly, how would I get vim to load plugins installed to my home directory?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, so I figured out how to use vundle and make a vimrc, but it looks like clang_complete needs clang installed to work. How would I go about installing clang to my home directory? All the installation steps I can find assume I have full control of the machine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Marsol0 posted:

When you do the ./configure step you can pass it --prefix=~/some/homedir/path and when you do make install it will go there.

Cool. Are these the right steps: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
Checking out llvm is taking forever!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, it turns out the versions of GCC and Python on the school's computers are too old to even build llvm and clang. I don't suppose there's any other ways to get basic code completion for the standard C libraries, is there? I mostly just want it to catch when I typo printf to pritnf for the millionth time and remind me what the parameters are for library functions. Popping back and forth between the terminal and manpages is time-consuming when I just can't remember the order of parameters for a certain function.

• Locked thread