Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Since I use tmux and often have 6+ panes I don't like line numbers cluttering the pane. For that reason I make them easy to toggle:

" Toggle showing line numbers with \l
:nmap \l :setlocal number!<CR>

Also: I installed and powerline using pathogen. How do I get powerline to show?

NERDTree works, but how do I make a new (shorter) ex command to open it? it's effectively just another window, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Just stumbled upon the native option to turn on column and line highlighting. It's super obnoxious, I'm finally in full Christmas tree mode.

Whoa. I want cursor line highlighting, but it doesn't work with solarized. How do I set it? Searching around I guess i need to set cursorline as well as g:solarized_hitrail. It uses some regexto only highlight after the cursor, though. Regardless, I see nothing when both are set. What gives?

EDIT: Actually nevermind. It does work, but instead of setting the background, it changes the colour of some of the syntax, so in a normal text file it's useless.

Tiger.Bomb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 19, 2013

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

O Tempora! O Mores! posted:

I'm running gVim on XP, but the memory utilization is through the roof, and it has a tendency to freeze/crash even where heavier editors like Sublime and Eclipse don't have similar issues. There's also something weird going on with fonts, wherein they appear blurry, distorted, and in general, poorly rendered, even when other programs render this font well. Two questions:

1. Has anyone experienced these issues? Is there a known fix?

2. Is running Vim in cmd.exe a viable solution? I know it can be done, but is it a hassle?

I'd post my _vimrc but I'm not at work right now, and my home installation is very different and exhibits none of the same symptoms.

vim in cmd isn't particularly bad. The only real bummer is how you have to go through the menus to resize the cmd window itself.

Try renaming your _vimrc (to revert to default rules) first to see if this changes any of the behaviour.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah Airline is nice. I held off for months but finally patched my fonts and they do look a lot nicer (I use inconsolata). Also have a vim plugin that sets my tmux status bar to match the vim one (But you can change its colour scheme if you want).

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

FamDav posted:

How would I go about removing leading blank lines from a buffer in vim?

gg/.<CR>kdgg

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

Ever since I learned about the find character command (f) I use ; a lot.

I learned about it in some video that I can't find now, I guess it was by the Practical Vim guy?

vimcasts.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

aerique posted:

I don't[1] want to be that guy in a Vim thread but you might want to check out Emacs since it comes out of the gate with more of the bells and whistles you might be looking for. Specifically Spacemacs[2], which is Emacs configured using a Vim emulation mode[3] and which uses the space key as leader (hence the name).

I've not used Spacemacs but I have been using Evil[3] for a couple of years now and I switch between Emacs and Vim on my machine easily. There's few complaints about the Vim emulation out there since it is pretty complete.

(I started using Vi somewhere in the late 1980's, switched to Emacs in the late 1990's and been using Evil for a good while now. For me, it's an ideal combination.)

[1] Well, actually I do.
[2] https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs
[3] https://bitbucket.org/lyro/evil/wiki/Home

burn him!

But yeah seriously evil/spacemacs sounds like an ideal kind of thing (though I've used neither). tbh, though, I don't think it's difficult at all getting a new set up. neovim is solid (thought I have had a hard crash and ctrl-h is broken) and there are some awesome plugin managers. I am excited for the day when nvim is mainstream and it's used as basically nothing more than the editing widget in IDEs.

• Locked thread